Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes and SFC's

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Reb,

Good to hear your looking and learning on the site. I too read and seek out all the info. I can find. As you can see, there are many folks here that have good ideas.

As for SFC's, the addition of these to your T-Top car will make ya really happy. They not only help the suspension, but also reduce the onset of the 'F-Body' sqeeks...lol

There are several good companies posted on the right------->
that are all sponsors here. Check them out and call em up. Support the companies that support this site. As for brakes, as PSU advised, there is much too consider. What type of driving will you be doing, i.e. track autocrossing, drag, etc. Best bet here is too read, make an honest decision, and spend wisely. We all were your age and on fixed budgets. Get what you can afford and what you desire...and have a blast.

Good Luck,
Kev
Old 03-08-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
2 whole track events last year? Wow!!!!

Please ... tell me more. Educate me.
Pre cracked ... err, cross drilled rotors are the real thing, eh?

So, are all those little tiny cracks at each and every hole normal? And how in the world is all the ventilating supposed to take place with the holes plugged with brake pad material? I need to know ...

Maybe it's cheap *** rotors?

I knew those *** clown imports couldn't make anything worth a **** ...

For what it's worth, the rotors and calipers were adapted to my TA off of a 2001 Porsche 996TT. They are 13" x 1.25" rotors and 4 piston Brembo calipers. Those rotors have seen 2 sets of Pagid Black pads and over 11 track weekends, probably close to 8K miles, in the last 2 years.

They only come in C/D form and those tiny cracks formed almost immediately. The damn holes have to be cleaned out with an oxy/acetylene torch tip cleaner. They fill up after 2 or 3 pumps of the brake pedal.

C/D rotors are driveway jewelry ... that's a direct quote from someone much smarter than I ...
those crossdrilled are not chamfered, that is the problem you have there. When they are chamfered, they don't have the cracking problem. I believe the sharp edges of the drilling are allowing for stress risers to form...

http://www.wilwood.com/products/kits...6bbhub_big.jpg

look at the crossdrills on those rotors

http://anomaly.cx/firebird/images/Wi...s/P7020005.JPG

those are the same rotors after 6 months of daily use with a race pad. No cracks, no problems.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the C/D fans out there, I give you the all time greatest post in the history of the internet ...

http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html
Old 03-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Arrow

Originally Posted by mitchntx
For the C/D fans out there, I give you the all time greatest post in the history of the internet ...

http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html
I only got through about 2/3 of that before I was too frustrated to continue reading it The vendor obviously ran into some people who called his bluff and he was reaching for anything to help him out. Plus, had he admitted that he was wrong a very large can of worms may have opened up due to all the people he had convinced to order the rotors in the first place.

It seems to me that one of the problem lies in taking the manufacturers literature at face value without thinking about it. A statement in a brochure such as "Our XXX model drilled/slotted rotors will (insert performance terms here) better than OEM rotors" is vague in that is doesn't state why they are better. The new rotor may perform better since it is larger, has improved materials/manufacturing, treatments, etc compared to OEM, but the fact that its drilled/slotted doesn't impact the performance. That is simply an additional feature. In fact, it looks like a rotor with the improved materials, size, etc, but not drilled/slotted might perform even better. It would be like a computer company stating "Our new X.XXMHz desktop with acrylic case will outperform your old CPU". The statement is true, but the fact that the case is acrylic has little impact of the performance. So the manufaturer isn't giving false info, but they aren't being really precise either.

Quick Reply: brakes and SFC's