Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake/Caliper question.....how can this happen.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its gotta be the pins. Even if the caliper was bad and dragging, the pins would balance the force between the inner and outer pads. If the inboard pad is wearing and the outboard is not, the pins must not be doing the job (braking force) or something with the pad or rotor surface is not consistent from the inside to the outside (reduction of friction).

Maybe something other than the grease was binding the caliper bracket and keeping it from moving?
Yea, maybe. I would just think if the inboard pad on the passengers side was the only pad pushing against the rotor all this time....50% on that side....then when I hit the pedal it would definitely pull to the drivers side that had 100% of pad contact.

Can a worn rotor play a role? I wonder if the front rotors need to be replaced....all 4 have 160,000 miles now.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the inner rotor surface was irregular as hell it could have contributed, but I don't think in the amount of uneven wear that you saw.

There is a slight reduction in brake line pressure when you let off the brake pedal, which should cause the pistons to move back slightly. It is the pull from less pressure, plus slight push of the pads.

This may remain a mystery. If your old pins weren't jammed and the pistons weren't jammed then I think the most likely thing is a defective pad that started to disintegrate. It isn't common, but isn't unheard of either.

Quick Reply: Brake/Caliper question.....how can this happen.......