Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No difference after koni's in front

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default No difference after koni's in front

I changed out my 50k mile factory front shocks with Koni SA's and can't tell a difference?? I don't know if I was expecting too much or what but the ride quality seems the same as before. I bought them used (10k mi) but from someone I kind of knew on the board so I trust them that they are good. Can you only tell if a shock is bad by it making a ton of noise? It doesn't make any noise or anything, just harsh over bumps, same as before.

Is there bumpstops for the front suspension? I have seen where people put the spongy bumpstops on the shock piston. Where can I find those? Can I get them at a local autostore- good ones that is? Any recommendations?

Here is where you guys will try to beat me up. I'm using these with factory cut springs. I took off 1.5 coils, like 10 years ago. I'm wondering if doing this made them 'wear out'. The ride height has not changed over the years though. The car actually sits higher than a Pro-Kit. Its maybe an inch lower than stock?

I am going to get BMR's lowering springs for the front and do them with the bumpstops. Think this will help? Anything else?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if I should send these shocks to Koni to rebuild? Anyone done this? $$$?

Also, would running uncut factory springs in the back and BMR lowering springs in the front make turning react in a weird way? I would do BMRs in the front and rear but I run 295/45/17 Mickey Thompsons in the back and there would be little to no gap because of the extra sidewall height. Factory springs in the rear would make the gap even.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm I have kyb agx shocks on my car with bar lowering springs the ride is stiff as to be expected with a lowered car, which is probably why you see no difference in the konis compared to the stockers, as far as the cut stock springs and then bmr front springs I have no answer other then my car sits naturally higher in the back with mine having more space unless loaded with weight
Old 08-28-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SStolen
I changed out my 50k mile factory front shocks with Koni SA's and can't tell a difference?? I don't know if I was expecting too much or what but the ride quality seems the same as before. I bought them used (10k mi) but from someone I kind of knew on the board so I trust them that they are good. Can you only tell if a shock is bad by it making a ton of noise? It doesn't make any noise or anything, just harsh over bumps, same as before.

Is there bumpstops for the front suspension? I have seen where people put the spongy bumpstops on the shock piston. Where can I find those? Can I get them at a local autostore- good ones that is? Any recommendations?

Here is where you guys will try to beat me up. I'm using these with factory cut springs. I took off 1.5 coils, like 10 years ago. I'm wondering if doing this made them 'wear out'. The ride height has not changed over the years though. The car actually sits higher than a Pro-Kit. Its maybe an inch lower than stock?

I am going to get BMR's lowering springs for the front and do them with the bumpstops. Think this will help? Anything else?
What do you have them adjusted to?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Settings?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What do you have them adjusted to?
^^^ This... If you aren't going around auto x ing every day, you should have the fronts adjusted no more than 3 full sweeps from full soft on the front.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
^^^ This... If you aren't going around auto x ing every day, you should have the fronts adjusted no more than 3 full sweeps from full soft on the front.
If you don't autox every day, then I suggest you don't give such advice. Autox can be comparable to spirited street driving. My personal preference is having it set about halfway through the entire range. I like this amount of rebound control for my daily driving style and comfort.

That being said, the settings for street driving can be personal preference. Some people might like full soft.. some people might like full stiff.

The problem at hand is the OP didn't notice a difference between his stock shocks and koni's. He didn't say anything about what they were set to though, which is a HUGE factor in figuring out this little dillemma since Koni's are rebound adjustable

Reason why I asked about settings is because if the stock shocks weren't too badly worn and the Koni's are set to full soft, then he might not notice much difference. Who knows though.. some people just plain don't notice much difference for some reason
Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

crazy. I'm running stock springs with Konis and I noticed a huge difference. Can't even compare the two. my settings are in middle. Might need to have them rebuilt. you never know how they were treated with 10K on them
Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Totally disagree with this.
Everyone has their own personal preference obviously, but even on stock springs I ran 4 sweeps from full hard (and playing around sometimes 3 sweeps from full hard) - this should be 5 or 6 sweeps from full soft. I like the over damped, very taut feel. Spring control is spring control no matter if you are racing or not.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Going to chime in as well. I started at 4 sweeps from full soft when I got them (stock springs) and did eventually move to 3 sweeps. Now that my driving manners have changed I might go back to 4, or maybe 3 1/2....or maybe 4 1/2, who knows.

Basically, go off of what you like, not a specific number.

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
crazy. I'm running stock springs with Konis and I noticed a huge difference. Can't even compare the two. my settings are in middle. Might need to have them rebuilt. you never know how they were treated with 10K on them
This is what I'm thinking. Did you know what the persons setup was? He could have had them on the lower perch with Sportlines for all I know, lol, which would probably blow out the dampening even in a well built shock.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The SS OEM shocks are better than Z28 OEM shocks, and 50k isn't that much for shocks... I didn't notice a heck of a lot of difference with the Koni SAs and my SS OEM shocks with 98k mi. Maybe I need to adjust the shock settings a little lower for street use, my fronts are currently ~4 sweeps up from fully soft.

OP should try adjusting his settings. Has anyone ever recommended mixing and matching springs?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm surprised OP hasn't chimed back in to answer JD AMG's question, as it's most pertinent.

I will admit that my brothers 40k WS6 stock shocks still feel pretty good. But in my case, I went from 50k Formula shocks to Bilsteins and it was night and day. Later added front Konis on the lower perch and that was another huge difference. I also settled on 3 turns from full soft with stock springs after going for awhile on stiffer settings. Comfort is more important to me than super-fast rebound on the streets of Wichita KS.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

You really need to qualify your statement with the type of spring you are using with your Koni SAs... Different springs may require different settings...

Everyone has their own personal preference obviously, but even on stock springs I ran 4 sweeps from full hard (and playing around sometimes 3 sweeps from full hard) - this should be 5 or 6 sweeps from full soft. I like the over damped, very taut feel. Spring control is spring control no matter if you are racing or not.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
You really need to qualify your statement with the type of spring you are using with your Koni SAs... Different springs may require different settings...
I did say
Old 09-02-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If you don't autox every day, then I suggest you don't give such advice. Autox can be comparable to spirited street driving. My personal preference is having it set about halfway through the entire range. I like this amount of rebound control for my daily driving style and comfort.

That being said, the settings for street driving can be personal preference. Some people might like full soft.. some people might like full stiff.

The problem at hand is the OP didn't notice a difference between his stock shocks and koni's. He didn't say anything about what they were set to though, which is a HUGE factor in figuring out this little dillemma since Koni's are rebound adjustable

Reason why I asked about settings is because if the stock shocks weren't too badly worn and the Koni's are set to full soft, then he might not notice much difference. Who knows though.. some people just plain don't notice much difference for some reason
Instead of trying to come off like a know it all, use some flipping common sense. I doubt anyone will be riding with their shocks on full stiff. Have you ever driven over a pot hole in an F BODY??? much less one that is lowered with performance shocks on full stiff??? I highly doubt anyone would have a "preference" to liking that setting all the time for city driving/ daily driving unless they're flying around a perfectly paved Autobahn.

I was merely giving him a baseline and advice Strano gave me for daily driving the car with the occasional spirited driving here and there.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry guys, been busy. Thanks for all the responses. The shocks are set 3 turns from soft and tire pressure is 32 in front, 26 in back.

I talked to Sam Strano yesterday. He made a recommendation to me after asking me some questions and discussing my wants and needs. All I can say is he was awesome to deal with! He didn't try to sell me the most expensive stuff and in some cases nothing at all, when quite honestly, he easily could have. I think my game plan is current Konis on the lower perch with bumpstops, matching konis in the back, stock springs, and get rid of my rod-end lower control arms and go back to my stock ones.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Instead of trying to come off like a know it all, use some flipping common sense. I doubt anyone will be riding with their shocks on full stiff. Have you ever driven over a pot hole in an F BODY??? much less one that is lowered with performance shocks on full stiff??? I highly doubt anyone would have a "preference" to liking that setting all the time for city driving/ daily driving unless they're flying around a perfectly paved Autobahn.

I was merely giving him a baseline and advice Strano gave me for daily driving the car with the occasional spirited driving here and there.
I am sorry I hurt your feelings

Quick Reply: No difference after koni's in front