Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Indepedent Rear Suspension (IRS) in a 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The heights setup looks a lot like the 5th gen geometry.

I looked into the Dobbertin Performance Innovations stuff. The problem is that the adaptor to run a driveshaft to the c5 diff is like $1500 to $2000 I dont recall and cant seem to find the price any more. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d...5da06c283.webp

And after that you have a stock C5 Diff, which is not exactly the strongest of rears. Going with a ZL1 diff might be a better option. But then you would need custom axle shafts and being a high breaking possible / wear item they might be a pita to beat on with 600rwhp or more.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm curious why Heidts developed such a pricey IRS for these cheap cars. I can't imagine they sell a lot of them being in the $8k range which is more than 80% of the care being sold LOL.

It would be nice to see someone develop a "bolt in" c4 IRS..."with some fabrication/assembly required". Hell even if someone created an install kit which consisted of brackets etc and you go out and find the major parts...diff/axles/hubs/diff brace. Then it gets you most of the way there.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Heidts lowered the price a few months ago. It's $5k now. I'm sure it was expensive to create, steel is expensive, and then you have the product liability insurance, and you still have to make a profit on it.

On paper at least it's a better design then the c4. It uses an upper and lower a-arm, and the toe link is in the parallelogram. The c5/c6/c7 have the same advantages. The 5 & 6th gen camaro's are multi link designs, which AME uses in their IRS.

The C4's upper link is the half axle, and that has several related disadvantages. One, it doesn't create a smooth camber curve, two, it also limits the effective camber control, and on that last point when the stub axle, circlip, clutch packs, or all of the above start to wear your camber will be unpredictable. It's a maintenance item, but a pig to fix since you have to pull the diff out of the car.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 03-24-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmmmm, that axle slop looks like what I can get with worn C clips on my stock 10 bolt, which lead to soft initial brakes when the pads would back off too far.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

That end play in the stub axle translates directly to the axle shaft which doubles as a control link for camber (and toe). If the stub axle is loose, your camber will not be consistent through the range of travel.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 03-24-2024 at 02:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-14-2018, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this video of a demonstration of a C3 rear suspension. It is similar to the C4 design and shows its camber change in full travel using a bubble level. Start video at 2:14
This guy came up with an improved design to keep camber issues under control

Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other IRS options?

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Things to consider with the C4 rear suspension:

The C4 uses four virtual swing arms created by drawing an imaginary line through each of the arms to their intersection points, starting from the bottom center of the wheel for the strut rods and half shafts.

(Courtesy of 1MeanZ)

As an engineer from Art Morrison pointed out, the operating range to keep the geometry on the C4 optimal is pretty tight. How you arrange those arms affects a lot, including anti-dive, anti-squat, camber, and toe just to name a few.

To extend his point, the C4 has a number of draw backs. Because it’s a trailing arm suspension those trailing arms force the wheels to travel in an arc from front to rear, as opposed to side to side with a solid axle located with a Panhard bar. The wheel base length changes slightly as the wheel travels through its motions. This is why trailing arm angle, length, and placement are so crucial! At the edges of this arc bind occurs with the strut rods which control camber. Add camber, and/or toe, and you can really exacerbate this issue, hence the reason poly really is a poor choice in this application and rod ends are optimal.

CATIA V5 DMU Kinematic IRS (C4 Corvette-5 Link) - YouTube

(Courtesy of billharbin)

Again, because of these things, the window to keep the camber curve optimal is smaller than say a double wishbone setup, like the C5 or C6. Many points on the C4 are rubber mounted, the diff carrier (bat wing), and all the control arms. Extreme cornering will distort the center points on each of these bushings.

In addition, because of its placement not in line with the half shafts, the toe control causes some toe change in compression and rebound.
So why use the C4 IRS at all? The handling isn’t terrible, it’s ok, and from a fitment standpoint it’s easy to customize for a variety of chassis’s. It’s reasonably inexpensive ($1,500 for a Dana 44, even cheaper for the Dana 36, $500 or less), and can be narrowed if necessary, and lots of stuff is available for it.

Really too, there isn’t much suspension travel with an F-body to begin with. At a common height for lowered F-bodies, there will be somewhere between 2.5” and 3”, more if the car is at stock height, of compression travel before the wheel touches the inner fender well. Limiting the suspension travel really mitigates the C4’s short comings. Also with proper geometry and a little sacrifice in ride quality, the handling can be quite impressive and far exceed the solid axle setups available for the F-body.

How do you get it on the car?

Securing the pinion: Torque arm, C-beam, custom pinion mount. There is somewhat of a space issue, and this presents a challenge to mounting a traditional torque arm. The C4 rear has the mount on the passenger side unlike the 10 bolt and replacement axles.

(Courtesy of Jay Cutshaw/Zeus Performance)

The standard C4 geometry may not be optimal for the f-body, and depending on your requirements may not be desirable anyway. The C4 is lighter, has a 53/47 ( vs the f-bodies 56/44) weight distribution ratio, and therefore different center of gravity than the Corvette. The vette’s wheel base is also 4.9” shorter than the f-body.

Stock Geometry

(Courtesy of 1Meanz)

Modified Geometry

Corvette also doesn’t have a back seat. Keeping the backseat and the C4 geometry is possible, but comes with some sacrifice.

(Courtesy of FlyDoc)

Do you want a sway bar?

If you keep the leaf spring, it will provide some anti-roll. Currently 99_orange_SS is using a VBandP race monospring with no sway bar which allows for great riding characteristics while still digging hard in the corners. Regardless, mounting the swaybar can be accomplished a couple of different ways. Stock corvette style, in front of the rear assembly, or a custom sway bar. Mounting the sway bar from the rear using the C4’s stock mounts will require removing more material from the frame and more fabrication.

Braking, and Traction Control:

The rear brake discs are a little thinner than the f-body’s, but that won’t make a noticeable difference. Some road racers say the rears are a little too helpful on the f-body to begin with, so some reduction in rear braking maybe helpful.

You could run the c5 rears on a c4 , but you will need the C5 calipers also. Doing this will eliminate the stock parking brake. You can, however, buy an aftermarket parking brake system, from Precision Brakes, it’s called a “Mr. Parker”. According to 99_orange_SS, he has the CTS-V 4 piston Brembo's up front with the stock rear C4 setup and he says it performs flawlessly; brake bias is perfect, the rears don't lock prematurely, and there is little nose dive.

ABS and Traction Control (ASR/TCS): Is it 3 channel or 4 channel? If it is a 4 channel it’s a lot easier to retain. The 95/96 corvettes came with the Bosch 5.0 system, and the 98+ f-body’s came with the Bosch 5.3 system.

The sensors from the 95/96 vettes will plug in to the existing wiring harness on the 98+ fourth gen four channel. The sensors will need to be salvaged from a junk yard. Most parts companies, for whatever reason, only keep the ’96 right-hand sensor in stock, if they stock them at all. The sensor pictured below is the correct type.

The prior versions of the sensors (BOSCH 2/2S) yellow connectors, those won't work.

Then there’s the exciter ring. The 98+ ABS/ASR(TCS) cars came with 47 tooth exciter rings, good news here is so did the 92+ Corvettes. If the car has a 53 tooth four channel ABS unit (97 and earlier) then new rings will need to be made. Costs will vary, but expect to pay around $300 to do so.

Things are murkier for the 3 channel cars. The best approach maybe to mount a smaller ring on the pinion if possible. This might require a different yoke depending the year of the C4 IRS that is being used.

Then there’s the option of just flat out deleting ABS altogether. SJM makes a kit for doing just that.

Track width, Wheels, and Tires:

The fourth gen rear is 64.72” flange to flange. The 90 to 96 vette rears are 63.25”, the earlier rears are 62.5” wide.

The weights:

10 bolt (without brakes and with gear oil): 146.4 lbs
Dana 44 C4 IRS (without brakes and without gear oil): 165.4 lbs

Overall weight increases by roughly 20 lbs, but unsprung weight falls by more than half.

Wheels:

A spacer or adapter may work if it doesn’t push wheels out past the fender. If that is not an option then the backspacing on the wheels could be changed. This option is trickier and more costly. If the wheels can’t be rehooped the only option is to order a new set.

If wide wheels (315 or wider) are being used special attention must be given to how much static negative camber is set, how much will be gained during compression, and the amount of suspension travel allowed. There isn’t a lot of clearance with the stock 10 bolt running 17x11’s, and with a boxed steel frames now occupying the spring pockets, for the C4 IRS, options for clearance are further limited.

The drive shaft needs to be dealt with as well, as it is too long. The stock shaft can be shortened, or a new one made. The rear U-joint will have to be replaced as well to allow it to bolt into the Dana 36 yoke.

Shocks and Springs:

It must be decided how the weight of the car will be sprung and what kind of shock will control those springs. Coilovers, or reuse the leaf? Coilovers will require additional bracing of the knuckle and the frame mounts. Neither was designed to carry the weight of the car; however there are kits out there to do this (Vansteel, Qa1, AFCO, DRM, Guldstrand). The lighter unsprung weight of the IRS will also change the required dampening. Depending on the new rates and setup, new antiroll rates will have to be established and a custom bar will need to be fabricated; unless you setup your system around the factory bar which will create its own set of issues.
Heidts IRS are waaay to expensive. Can the 5th Gen Camaro or Pontiac GTO IRS even the Cadillac ATS V be adapted to the 4th Gens? I'm sure they can with a bit of ingenuity of course, has anyone attempted this is my question they can be purchased for under 1k. I looked everywhere but the usual search results come up and that is the Heidts and Dana 44 setup.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Default Heidts IRS

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
I'm going with the IRS from Heidts. It's made specifically for the 4th gen and is a 9 inch setup.
Don't have it yet but but I took these pics during their open house a few months ago. Their Camaro is running 315/30/18s.
thats money bro i got exited when i first read about Heidts IRS for our 4th Gen but when i saw the price my heart sank, why the "F" is it so expensive, once you add the stuff you need its ridiculous. Im looking into alternatives like the 5th gen IRS the GTO and ATS-V IRS im not feeling the C4 IRS. So has anyone tried or seen these other alternatives on 4th Gens?

Last edited by OnyxZ28; 05-23-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-23-2018, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Is the track width of the GTO/ATS correct for a 4th gen?
Old 05-24-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

1. I'm not aware of a single IRS that does not have toe change in compression/rebound and it is something that is usually desirable. Of course the C4 does have more than you would want.

2. The solid axle is also a trailing arm design and therefore it also moves fore/aft in compression and rebound.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Default Other IRS options?

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Is the track width of the GTO/ATS correct for a 4th gen?
The GTO/ATS both look about the same, they dont look wider then the 4th Gen fbody rear axle. The great thing about is you can mini tub your fbody and fit wider tires. I honestly dont see any issues, it can work, it will need some fab work but it will still be cheaper then buying Heidts rear IRS.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
some people want what they want.............no matter how expensive ............or bad it is..........and you can get a irs in a camaro............its called a 5th gen !!!!!!
there is not f******g fifth gen!!!!!! You cant take 8 years off and pretend like the lineage was never broken!!!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

yes you can CALL IT A 5TH GEN
Old 10-31-2018, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MOD LIST:
1999 Chevrolet Camaro by Heidts Hot Rod & Muscle Car Parts

Suspension: • Heidts Pro-G IRS • Heidts tubular K-member made from DOM tubing that is reinforced with gussets for strength needed in performance driving. • Heidts tubular front upper control arms made from DOM tubing with brackets for coilover shocks • Heidts fabricated and gusseted front lower control arms with fully serviceable spherical joints • Heidts solid 1-3/8” front sway bar • Heidts fabricated transmission crossmember • Heidts 3 point strut tower brace • Heidts sub frame connectors • Alston Racing Roll cage • Ridetech triple adjustable shocks front and rear • Wildwood 6 piston front brakes, 13” Wilwood rotors • Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 12” Wilwood rotor

Powertrain: • LS3 525HP crate engine • Fast Induction intake, throttle body and fuel rails • Texas Speed headers 1-7/8” • T56 Magnum 6 speed manual transmission • Currie 3.50 rear axle ratio, Ford 9” • Aluminum driveshaft • Twin disc clutch • Custom dual exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers

Other • Corbeau racing seats • Falken Azenis RT615K+ tires (315/30zR18 • 18x11 Wheels

Old 11-01-2018, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I like that they did that video, I just hate the way they did it. Didnt really learn crap about the car in the little canyon drive. No shots of the suspension sucked as well. Was excited at first but was let down real quick. Thank you for sharing it though. Just wish they would have went into more details.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
I like that they did that video, I just hate the way they did it. Didnt really learn crap about the car in the little canyon drive. No shots of the suspension sucked as well. Was excited at first but was let down real quick. Thank you for sharing it though. Just wish they would have went into more details.
As long as this IRS setup has been around, it has never been properly tested or reivewed on a track. That's what it needs. Either delcared snake oil or a worthwhile item.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dojob
As long as this IRS setup has been around, it has never been properly tested or reivewed on a track. That's what it needs. Either delcared snake oil or a worthwhile item.
I agree. All done and said my MWC Fab 9" with a Watts link and driveshaft is very close to the price of the IRS setup (if the $5k +/- stated in the video is accurate). I road race and auto-x my car almost exclusively and if this IRS setup is everything that they claim it is, I would be really sad that I went the 9" route. Not that I regret the 9" but for what I do that may have been a better option.

EDIT: I just went online and pricing with the 3rd member and depending on what shafts you pick, it was well into the $8k price range (and that was without brakes). That was nowhere near what I was with the Fab 9" with a much better 3rd member....I'll stick with my Fab 9".

Last edited by Chrisingermany; 11-02-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
I agree. All done and said my MWC Fab 9" with a Watts link and driveshaft is very close to the price of the IRS setup (if the $5k +/- stated in the video is accurate). I road race and auto-x my car almost exclusively and if this IRS setup is everything that they claim it is, I would be really sad that I went the 9" route. Not that I regret the 9" but for what I do that may have been a better option.

EDIT: I just went online and pricing with the 3rd member and depending on what shafts you pick, it was well into the $8k price range (and that was without brakes). That was nowhere near what I was with the Fab 9" with a much better 3rd member....I'll stick with my Fab 9".
Your fab 9 is probably lighter... that IRS is really adding lots on to the car
Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I just want to hear from someone that spotted this car at a track day doing some testing because otherwise it's not worth crap. Unless part of the high price tag is because they were renting the track for private testing which is highly unlikely.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I have run with cars that have that rear suspension, and a LOT more motor than I have. Never lost to one. They've not been close. Take it for what it's worth, and then go watch how my car works on what may be the roughest track around (there is recent video I posted you can see my head getting tossed around, with a lightweight carbon helmet). That's where an IRS would be the best vs. a solid axle, and the solid axle still works pretty damned well *IF* you know what you are doing and have the best parts to control it.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Indepedent Rear Suspension (IRS) in a 4th Gen