Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No Alignment cause my car was too "low"

Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Alignment cause my car was too "low"

anyone in the houston area know of a good place to get and alignment for my car that is too "low"
Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who said it was "too low"? A dealership, a "big box" tire store??

Too low because it wouldn't physically fit on their alignment rack, or because they didn't think they could get it within spec?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Launching!

I used to have that problem too, most likely it didn't fit on their rack. Good luck finding a spot.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Take some would to get it on. No big deal. Unless they don't know about suspensions and are scared.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess a lot of tire shops just recently started a deal where they won't align your car if it differs from factory ride height.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

NTB... if you have one there.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

hmmm. i recently lowered my car but haven't taken it in to get an alignment. i hope i don't have this issue. OP, good luck hope you find someone who can do it
Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Theres a place here in Bryan (near College Station) that will do it - mine is lowered 2" rear and 2.25" front. $40 and the only thing special they had to do was slightly elongate the slots the a-arms bolt to
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Most places use the same rack. Just some are smart enough to use 2x4's to get it up there. I ran into the same issue after I put Strano's on my car and it's not THAT low.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

This is growing more common because of the lack of experienced personnel operating the alignment booths. It's a shame, but it also means that experienced businesses will get more work, so that's a positive trade-off. If you've had a good experience with a shop that is extremely competent with alignment, let everyone know so we can all benefit from it. We use a terrific shop called Weavers in Brandon, FL.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Chances are you'll have to find a good independent shop by word of mouth. I had this problem with my old DSM that dragged even the smallest speedbumps. The Midas guys looked at it with genuine fear, when I pulled around, and sent me on my way.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I have ever had that kind of problem but I am lowered on Eibach Pro Kit so to me, it doesn't look lowered that much unless my fiancee's '01 is parked beside me. I think one time they had a new guy working where I take mine and he threw down some 2x4's just so I could "make it up" on the lift. I told him I wouldn't need them but he insisted anyways and I didn't know if they had something new going on where they had to do that and didn't wanna get the guy fired unless he fucked up my car but even he seemed like he knew what he was doing. Sorry about the bad luck with the shop OP.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, its always a headache for me to get my car aligned. . Goodluck!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firestone did my Camaro, it has the Eibach Sport kit that lowers 1.75 rear & 1.5 front.
Firestone did my truck, is has the DJM and lowered the front 4" and the back 5".
The truck was the problem and they had to use wood to step it up to the ramp but it was really no big issue.
Sounds like they just didnt want to **** with it. See if there is a Firestone store there, they hooked me up twice!
The only time I have ben refused auto service was at a Jiffy Lube because the metal dividers that keep you from driving into the pit was too tall for the truck. So I went to another oil change place who had the same issue but they pulled into a bay without the pit and used a floor jack to get under it and took care of it. They got a $20.00 tip for being aggressive and wanting to get the job done, thats how you run a buisness!
Chad
Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

It can depend on the type of hoist that wont allow car to get on. Where I work, we have two different lifts. The better rack, in my opinion, I cannot get my Camaro on because Im lowered on Eibach Prokit, but my SLP long tube headers hit the rack support thats between the ramps. I can get on our other rack since there is no cross beam/support between the ramps. I havent attempted to align my car yet though. From my experience with other lowered vehicles, sometimes the alignment heads cannot "see" eachother because the body panels are in the way. This usually happens in the front because the front bumper or front splitter or body kit is in the way. They do make extenders for the units, to lower them down, but sometimes its still not enough. If thats the case, then sometimes body components need to be removed in order to perform the alignment. We've had to do this numerous times with Porsches, remove the front bumper and then reinstalled afterwards. I recently aligned a Miata that was a AutoX car where the owner had a large front chin spoiler. Even with the lowering adapters on the head units, I couldnt get the front units to "see" each other. Had to dismount the chin spoiler/splitter to perform the alignment.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://swalignment.com/

been told to go to these guys, all the import guys go there. If they can get them on the rack yours should be cake.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
This is growing more common because of the lack of experienced personnel operating the alignment booths. It's a shame, but it also means that experienced businesses will get more work, so that's a positive trade-off.
I agree!

The most competent shop in my area, as well as a shop that had an alignment rack that could accommodate low cars, closed up about 4-5 years ago, as the owner retired. I was bummed out over this, but then about 3 years ago, another local shop that was close to me, remodeled their shop, and also bought a new alignment rack. They dug an 8" deep pit into the shop floor, and placed the rack in it, so there was a "flat" transition from the floor, to the alignment rack. Lowered cars weren't a problem......but their lack of really competent help is.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

find a frame shop. I have used mine for about 15 years. Won't take my cars anywhere else for any kind of front end work. When I put my BMR springs on they did a great job of aligning it.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

This is a mess of an ancient thread revival, but since several guys have commented recently, I've kept it alive and moved it over here where any ongoing discussion should take place.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

most alignment places around here that i've been to don't have the GM (or is it F-Body specific?) "tool" to adjust the camber settings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Alignment cause my car was too "low"