Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems

My stock tranny mount was shot and my torque arm was pushing the tranny into the tunnel so i bought the kit to relocate the torque arm and put a poly mount in. I have everything in but my clearance between the driveshaft the tunnel and the sides of the torque arm is maybe 1/4 to 5/16 " at best on either side.(Pics) Also when looking at pictures of installed kits on here or the umi website the two plates to mount the arm to the tunnel crossover only have two holes in them and mine have three. I used the top hole for the torque arm and the bottom for the tunnel mount leaving one inbetween open. Im running a s60 rearend and when the suspension is loaded the mounting bracket on the back of the torque arm is hitting the tunnel.(picture of the mark where it hit) There are 2 seperate sets of holes on the rear of the torque arm and i used the ones closed to the edge. Do i have to modify the bracket so i can use the second set in? (pic of top of rearend and bottom rearend)The directions included had a few pictures but the pictures are sh**. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or ran into the same problem ? would ride height affect the fitment with s60 and the tunnel. If so what is stock ride height as i bought the car as is and am unsure if its been lowered or not ? Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am out of idea's and haven't been able to find the info im looking for. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems-imag0044.jpg   UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems-imag0053.jpg   UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems-imag0054.jpg   UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems-imag0059.jpg   UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems-imag0057.jpg  

UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems-imag0058.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Pretty sure the outermost holes are for the 10 bolt only. I know for the 12/9 rear ends you have to cut the bracket. Not sure about the 60 but i would assume it would be similar. And, I had to massage my tunnel some to gain some clearance around the torque arm, mine is full length though.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

What you are seeing is common with aftermarket rear ends. The S60 has a very large housing, much larger than the factory housing. Since the torque arm bolts to the drivers side, as the housing gets larger it will get closer to the tunnel area and contact the tunnel. The height does effect it as well, the lower the car is the closer the tunnel area will be to the torque arm. The second set of holes on the bracket are for larger rear ends, they allow you to move the torque arm inward and gain some clearance around the tunnel area. To do this you will need to cut the first set of holes off the bracket in order for the bracket to slide in. We do this so this arm will fit all different brand and style rear ends.

In the front the clearance is going to be tight, if nothing is rubbing you are fine. You may need to consider lowering the torque arm down one hole in the shackles. I run the top hole with the S60 and 3.5" drive shaft with out clearance issues, its just tight.

If you have any questions please let me know. Thank you,
Ryan
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12382570-post18.html
Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

What you are seeing is common with aftermarket rear ends. The S60 has a very large housing, much larger than the factory housing. Since the torque arm bolts to the drivers side, as the housing gets larger it will get closer to the tunnel area and contact the tunnel. The height does effect it as well, the lower the car is the closer the tunnel area will be to the torque arm. The second set of holes on the bracket are for larger rear ends, they allow you to move the torque arm inward and gain some clearance around the tunnel area. To do this you will need to cut the first set of holes off the bracket in order for the bracket to slide in. We do this so this arm will fit all different brand and style rear ends.

In the front the clearance is going to be tight, if nothing is rubbing you are fine. You may need to consider lowering the torque arm down one hole in the shackles. I run the top hole with the S60 and 3.5" drive shaft with out clearance issues, its just tight.

If you have any questions please let me know. Thank you,
Ryan
Thanks, that's exactly what i was looking for. I knew the rearend was bigger then stock so i figured that had something to do with it. I'll get it done today. As far is clearance in front ill just keep an eye on it. Don't forsee it moving alot anyways. I'll post a pic when i get it finished....probly be a while.

Quick Reply: UMI torque or relocation kit fittment problems