Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Watts link for 1998 z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watts link for 1998 z28

Does anyone know of a watts link setup for a 98 z28 that is setup like the art morrison watts link for i think the first gen f-body. I know i'll prob have to bring the car to a chassis shop and have something custom made because i don't have the tools to do it myself. I want a setup like this so i can get rid of the torque arm and run duels that i can tuck up into the floor so i have more ground clearance.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Teching In

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...at/Capture.png
Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are Watts links available for the f-body (Fays2 and Midwest Chassis), but none that specifically address replacing the torque arm too.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

That's not part of the watts link. That's AME's rear clip. It replaces the existing rear frame structure. The watts link on that setup is like any other watts link, it only provides lateral support for the axle.

To go to a three link like that the rear seat would need to be removed to make room for the upper link, and the structure to support it would need to be welded in.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 09-22-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Yeah i know about the problem with the rear seats but i took them out a few years ago so i guess i would be good, but i crashed the car 2 weeks ago and the whole car drives messed up. It's the second time it's hat a hit like this. I smashed the back and messed up the steering somehow. I want to keep the car because of my dad who has passed but i think i'm gonna go in a new direction with it if it's possible. I'm trying to see what i can find on buying a c5 or 6 rolling chassis and have a frame made. I figure it's something different and if my body car is thrown outta whack again that a custom frame would fix that. I dunno tho i wanna see if it's possible and how much $$$$ it will cost to have a frame made.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonboat
Yeah i know about the problem with the rear seats but i took them out a few years ago so i guess i would be good, but i crashed the car 2 weeks ago and the whole car drives messed up. It's the second time it's hat a hit like this. I smashed the back and messed up the steering somehow. I want to keep the car because of my dad who has passed but i think i'm gonna go in a new direction with it if it's possible. I'm trying to see what i can find on buying a c5 or 6 rolling chassis and have a frame made. I figure it's something different and if my body car is thrown outta whack again that a custom frame would fix that. I dunno tho i wanna see if it's possible and how much $$$$ it will cost to have a frame made.
You wouldn't want a Corvette frame, it's completely different from the unibody of your F-body, unless you are going to covert the suspension to Corvette. That effort would be extremely pricey (a shop could be north of $50k), and tedious and still expensive ( http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/fa...-z06-long.html ) if you're doing the work yourself.

Getting the frame straightened, and then back halfing the car is what it sounds like you want. You can get a fame that will weld in from a company like AME, but again lots of work, and lots of money.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info. My car is in really bad shape. it was hit in the front 4 years ago and bent the frame, but it was fixed then it got hit while it was parked by 2 drunk drivers and then rearended while leaving 7 11 and the final blow was the spin and smash on the highway. It needs a trans and a lot of body repairs and interior work. it's not really work fixing but it was the last thing me and my dad did together before he died so i'm having a real hard time with losing it. Don't really know what to do with it now. Maybe make another car with the engine and trans

Quick Reply: Watts link for 1998 z28