Old 09-27-2011 | 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A Corvette of some type.
C5 Notch would be nice GL with that sam
Old 09-27-2011 | 02:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Looking at something else. Tentative deal in place, but don't want to jinx it.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-27-2011 | 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

C6 Z06 in Cyber gray with the carbon body kit
Old 09-27-2011 | 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

I drove a Cyber Gray Grand Sport this year. It's not Cyber Gray, and no Carbon edition cars are in my future.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-28-2011 | 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Grand sport seems like an awesome choice for autox. The base engine has good enough power. Too bad they don't make the CTSV now days with the base LS engine. Would be a nice (affordable) daily.
Old 09-28-2011 | 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Too bad they don't make the CTSV now days with the base LS engine.
When the C6 Z06 and even ZR1 was released, the price for C5 Z06s plummeted. Many garage queens out there being replaced with the C6 versions.

And "high mileage" is 40K for these cars. There are too many 20 and 30K mile cars out there to even consider a 60K mile car.

Same holds true for the Gen 1 CTSVs. I bought an 06 last year that had 48K miles and paid less than $20K.

It's a heavy car, but a blast to drive.
Old 09-28-2011 | 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd love to replace my Camaro for autox with a stock C5 z06... though my Camaro is more competitive for the spectator drags... plus I'm not afraid of getting it dinged
Old 09-30-2011 | 08:46 AM
On The Tree

In my tenure at GMHTP, we have never falsified or skewed results. If you have read the magazine enough, you will see plenty of parts that either "underperformed" or just plain weren't right for the combination. While you may not always agree with our approach or assessment of the situation, the facts are evident (published) and you can draw your own conclusions. Though, in all honesty, when it comes to suspension and handling, so much much of it is qualitative and really has to be felt to be understood–though we do our best. I'd definitely encourage you to drive a friend's car with the suspension setup you are interested in, if possible.

I have driven the STI Killer as well as 1SC-YA and even Sam Strano's personal Camaro. All three handled amazing. Since they were at different times (different tracks/roads) and had vastly different setups and other components it would be impossible to compare. However, I will say that the suspension setup on the STI Killer is pretty spot-on, though the overall handling is constantly being tweaked and revised. We hope to have the sort of turn-in response that Sam had (on his Camaro) here soon, and have more stories on the horizon.

Last, I wanted to wish Sam good luck with his new ride, and to thank him for providing his insight and for working with us. At that time my experience was in road racing cars other than F-bodies, so I feel that I learned a good deal from him and have continued to use that knowledge going forward.
Old 09-30-2011 | 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scott@GMHTP
In my tenure at GMHTP, we have never falsified or skewed results. If you have read the magazine enough, you will see plenty of parts that either "underperformed" or just plain weren't right for the combination. While you may not always agree with our approach or assessment of the situation, the facts are evident (published) and you can draw your own conclusions. Though, in all honesty, when it comes to suspension and handling, so much much of it is qualitative and really has to be felt to be understood–though we do our best. I'd definitely encourage you to drive a friend's car with the suspension setup you are interested in, if possible.

I have driven the STI Killer as well as 1SC-YA and even Sam Strano's personal Camaro. All three handled amazing. Since they were at different times (different tracks/roads) and had vastly different setups and other components it would be impossible to compare. However, I will say that the suspension setup on the STI Killer is pretty spot-on, though the overall handling is constantly being tweaked and revised. We hope to have the sort of turn-in response that Sam had (on his Camaro) here soon, and have more stories on the horizon.

Last, I wanted to wish Sam good luck with his new ride, and to thank him for providing his insight and for working with us. At that time my experience was in road racing cars other than F-bodies, so I feel that I learned a good deal from him and have continued to use that knowledge going forward.
I've been a long time subscriber. Have quite a few copies in near to Mint if not pristine condition. I've subscribed to a few magazine in the past 20 yrs....but always came back to two.....GMHTP and one called Engine Masters. They were the most factual at least as far as I could sense from the work done and write-up.....GMHTP has come a long way from its first publishings it is a lot more popular. But I think they are probably the most practical still...and I still do enjoy their articles even though I realize that it may not always apply to me (being an LT1'er) it is me that is behind what is current...and that would be the LS engines/cars. I still enjoy the magazine and it's readings there was an LS series write up in which you guys showcased quite a few Camshaft only installs....it was EXCELLENT....it spanned 2 issues....and if im not mistaken you waited until the last to show results with and without the big honkin LSX manifold. There's been many times where the "What went wrong" is even mentioned and pictured...something most magazines never show....and they take u straight to the bobvila end of the show never once mentioning possible bad product or coincidence? Usually GMHTP follows this with "well xxx manufacturer followed up with a quick replacement and we were back on track!! ".....hahaha. Thats good enough for me to raise an eyebrow if need be.

Recently my subscription ran out....and I didnt renew...mainly becuase it rains plenty in SoFLo.....and the magazine does not come covered in plastic. Ruined A LOT of issues....Is there any chance we can make that a request ? or maybe coming soon?

I havent found an Engines issue in a very long time.....a little disappointing....as it too was hardcore.

Until you showcase Blue oval badges,front mount distributors,remote solenoids, and unadjustable rockers arms......make mine GMHTP.

Last edited by License2Ill; 09-30-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2011 | 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Thank you very much for the kind words. I will pass your suggestion along, and if you need any help finding the magazine on the news stands please let me know. We are always trying to improve our distribution. Quick question: would you be okay with an increase in the subscription price if the magazine came wrapped in plastic?
Old 09-30-2011 | 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An option to check it on/off....would be good. 1$ or so more would not be ridiculous.
I think probably 3-4 dollars would maybe make me say no thanks...i'll go to B&N. Where I might miss an issue.
If you threw in a quality GM HIGH TECH license plate with that checkbox...i might pay up to a whopping 15$.

Scott, have you guys ever considered a GMHTP video game for Xbox/playstation platforms? God knows you have the pictures...technical know how and technical writers right on staff. Sort of merge Forza Motorsport meets Need For speed but a quality job not a cheap ripoff....with internet servers ready to run the tracks for players. Just like the 2 mentioned.

Quick Reply: road race/hard cornering street Camaro setups