Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i would trust wrencher and get a new MC
Old 09-25-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some guy pulled this $25 scam on Cadillacforums.com too, never paid out...
Old 09-25-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Some guy pulled this $25 scam on Cadillacforums.com too, never paid out...
I have no problem compensating those who help me, but thanks for your input. Shouldn't you be at an anti-government rally right now? Please stay out of my thread.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Pusher" (my terminology) is where you force fluid in through the caliper and back to the MC.

Yes, the LL was installed about 5 years ago so I know everything is routed properly. One thing I did notice was when doing my shock and spring install, I had to move the MC out of the way to get to the shock bolt, and in the process I bent the line going into the proportioning valve. It made a small fluid leak at the flared end into the proportioning valve, but I loosened it, seated it, and tightened it, and haven't had any issues with it since.
bent the line or kinked it?

It's firm when the car is off, but when I turn it on, it goes straight to the floor. Pumping it does nothing to change pedal height or feel. The brakes will hold enough to stop the car, but the pedal is almost to the floor to do this.
While running, the pedal will hold, but at the bottom of it's stroke. Once it gets there, does it hold or continue to the floor?

Like discussed earlier, I'm thinking there is a seal issue in the MC. If the pedal strokes way down and then grabs enough to stop the car, that says to me the piston has to go far down the cylinder to seal and build pressure.

Maybe a seal is blown or the cylinder is worn. Once you get down the cylinder, a different combination of seals work or you get past the worn section.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if the calipers for this application are interchangeably, but when i went to school, a guy worked on a Fo*d F-250 an he was havin a similar problem, turns out he had the calipers on the wrong sides (they would fit either way with no issues) BUT it put the bleeder nipples in the position and caused air to get trapped above the nipple. he took em off, switched sides and bleed em an all was well.

but like i said, i dont know if this is your problem or even possible on this application, just throwing out an educated suggestion.

oh, and did the line connections have copper washers? my C10 has them, an i've always heard to replace them every time you break the line connection.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
"Pusher" (my terminology) is where you force fluid in through the caliper and back to the MC.

bent the line or kinked it?

While running, the pedal will hold, but at the bottom of it's stroke. Once it gets there, does it hold or continue to the floor?

Like discussed earlier, I'm thinking there is a seal issue in the MC. If the pedal strokes way down and then grabs enough to stop the car, that says to me the piston has to go far down the cylinder to seal and build pressure.

Maybe a seal is blown or the cylinder is worn. Once you get down the cylinder, a different combination of seals work or you get past the worn section.
The Power Bleeder I have connects to the MC reservoir and bleeds from the top. I have bled from the furthest from the MC (RR, LR, RF, LF), and I have gone in reverse since I read an old post where you said this is preferable if you're chasing a bubble. Same result either way.

The line I bent is bent, not kinked. It affected the angle in which it mated to the proportioning valve, which is why I had to take it off and reseat it.

Once I press the pedal and it goes to the floor, it'll hold there. But it's so damn close to the floor it's hard to tell whether it's at the floor or just very close to it. Either way, it will hold the brakes enough to stop the car.

So you're thinking MC and not leak in the system somewhere? Would a leaky line connection not fit this description? I'm just trying to rule out anything here. I'm going to take a picture of the clear tube when I bleed to show how much air is in the system.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Chasing an air bubble is a bitch. And it's something I thought you might have when I read your description of the line lock and bent line. The fact that it began leaking after it was bent still is a red flag. It was either seated or it wasn't.

But your descrition of the pedal differences while not running (no power assist) and while running makes it sound like a bad seal in MC.

A leaking line would mean as you pump the pedal (build line pressure) the fluid would come out, not draw air in. And you've said there are no leaks.

The air has to be coming from somewhere.

The bad seal in the master cylinder is much like blow-by created by a broken ring. Oil pumps past the rings and gets in the cylinder. In the case of a MC seal, as you stoke the pedal forward, fluid gets past the seal in the void behind the piston, partially filling the cylinder behind the piston. When the pedal comes back, that fluid and now air has to go somewhere. It's a closed system with no vent.

Unfortunately, in cases like this, you are forced to begin changing parts ... taking best guesses. And because I'm not there and only going by what is posted, that's really all any one can do ... make a best guess.

I wish I could say "replace this part and you are done" or "turn this bolt and you problem is solved" ... doesn't work like that in this format.

The copper seal where the line meets the caliper is a good thought. But it would be leaking fluid when the system builds pressure

Last edited by mitchntx; 09-25-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chasing an air bubble is a bitch. And it's something I thought you might have when I read your description of the line lock and bent line. The fact that it began leaking after it was bent still is a red flag. It was either seated or it wasn't.

But your descrition of the pedal differences while not running (no power assist) and while running makes it sound like a bad seal in MC.

A leaking line would mean as you pump the pedal (build line pressure) the fluid would come out, not draw air in. And you've said there are no leaks.

The air has to be coming from somewhere.

The bad seal in the master cylinder is much like blow-by created by a broken ring. Oil pumps past the rings and gets in the cylinder. In the case of a MC seal, as you stoke the pedal forward, fluid gets past the seal in the void behind the piston, partially filling the cylinder behind the piston. When the pedal comes back, that fluid and now air has to go somewhere. It's a closed system with no vent.

Unfortunately, in cases like this, you are forced to begin changing parts ... taking best guesses. And because I'm not there and only going by what is posted, that's really all any one can do ... make a best guess.

I wish I could say "replace this part and you are done" or "turn this bolt and you problem is solved" ... doesn't work like that in this format.

The copper seal where the line meets the caliper is a good thought. But it would be leaking fluid when the system builds pressure
Mitch, thanks for the help.

Your MC piston explanation makes sense and kind of seems like what's going on here. I actually just bled the entire system again: MC and all 4 calipers, using gravity bleeding, then the power bleeder. I can say the pedal actually feels slightly better, I'd describe it more as spongy now than no pedal at all.

All banjo fittings are tight with new copper washers on both sides. No leaks there.

I think I'll get a new pre-bent line from SJM and grab a used MC off here to see if either fixes the situation.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update.

I replaced the MC, but the issue is still there. So that rules the MC out.

So the only 2 things I can think of now is there is a leak somewhere that I can't see, or there's an issue with one of the new calipers. Would a bad caliper cause an issue like this?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kSStamp09
i dont know if the calipers for this application are interchangeably, but when i went to school, a guy worked on a Fo*d F-250 an he was havin a similar problem, turns out he had the calipers on the wrong sides (they would fit either way with no issues) BUT it put the bleeder nipples in the position and caused air to get trapped above the nipple. he took em off, switched sides and bleed em an all was well.

but like i said, i dont know if this is your problem or even possible on this application, just throwing out an educated suggestion.

oh, and did the line connections have copper washers? my C10 has them, an i've always heard to replace them every time you break the line connection.
Have you tried this? Seems legit for them fitting but not working properly though.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Yes, calipers are on the correct side of the car. All bleeders are up.

No visible leaks anywhere.

Pedal does not gain any height if pressed repeatedly. The pedal goes almost completely to the floor, but it does hold enough pressure to stop the car.
my bad. i missed this post lol.

i'd put the old lines back on an see what happens. if that dont work, throw the old calipers back on. that will at least narrow down the field.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old calipers and lines are gone.

I guess I could unhook the caliper lines one at a time and cap them off and see if the pedal gets any better. I suppose this would isolate a bad caliper.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my old roommate had a very similar issue with his tahoe a few years ago. turned out he had to bleed the brakes in a particular order. not sure what the order was, or if that's even relevant to the issue you're having.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Months ago I replaced my calipers with another used F-body set and my brake lines with some Russell Stainless lines. I replaced the calipers because I was getting rid of my Pro Stars and didn't want the shaved ones anymore. My brakes had always performed flawlessly and I had a good pedal feel.
No other changes? No cam, no intake?

If you start the car with the vacum line feeding the booster plugged, does it make any difference in the pedal feel?

Are you 100% sure you have the lines at the MC feeding the correct ends? the port furthest from the booster feeds the rear brakes.

Is the level in the MC reservoir going down? If not, then you have no leaks.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Old calipers and lines are gone.

I guess I could unhook the caliper lines one at a time and cap them off and see if the pedal gets any better. I suppose this would isolate a bad caliper.
you should always start with the wheel farthest from the MC an work towards it. (RR, LR, RF, LF).
Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kSStamp09
you should always start with the wheel farthest from the MC an work towards it. (RR, LR, RF, LF).
Thats what I was going to suggest.

I forget after reading through the thread but have you tried swapping the brake lines back on instead of the stainless?

When I bleed brakes I just let them gravity bleed. I keep the MC full and open all of the lines until only fluid comes out, them shut them off farthest to closest.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

No other changes? No cam, no intake?

If you start the car with the vacum line feeding the booster plugged, does it make any difference in the pedal feel?

Are you 100% sure you have the lines at the MC feeding the correct ends? the port furthest from the booster feeds the rear brakes.

Is the level in the MC reservoir going down? If not, then you have no leaks.
No other changes besides new shocks, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Nothing engine or vacuum related.

I'm 100% sure the lines are hooked up correctly. The front MC line goes to the proportioning valve. I haven't changed this.

The level in the MC isn't going down at all and all the fittings and connections are bone dry.

I'm starting to think it's a bad caliper. Like I said earlier, I think I'm going to cap off one brake line at a time to see if the pedal gets better. If it does, then I'll know which caliper is bad. Does anyone know what size cap I could use on the hard line going to each caliper?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Thats what I was going to suggest.

I forget after reading through the thread but have you tried swapping the brake lines back on instead of the stainless?

When I bleed brakes I just let them gravity bleed. I keep the MC full and open all of the lines until only fluid comes out, them shut them off farthest to closest.
I haven't gone back to the stock lines yet, that's my last resort. It might be all I have left if the calipers check good.

I've tried bleeding furthest from the MC in, and closest out. Either way, no change.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Does anyone know what size cap I could use on the hard line going to each caliper?
Take the flex line loose at the caliper.

run a bolt and flat washer and new crush seal through the banjo fitting and seal it off on the back side with another crush seal, flat washer and nut.

That should seal it off.

You driven it like this, right? Is there an odd pattern on the rotor like the pad is only partially engaging the rotor and flexing the caliper?

I'm not going all the way back through this thread ...

Have you checked the guide pins? Do they move in and out and spin easily?

I'm about out of ideas ...
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take the flex line loose at the caliper.

run a bolt and flat washer and new crush seal through the banjo fitting and seal it off on the back side with another crush seal, flat washer and nut.

That should seal it off.

You driven it like this, right? Is there an odd pattern on the rotor like the pad is only partially engaging the rotor and flexing the caliper?

I'm not going all the way back through this thread ...

Have you checked the guide pins? Do they move in and out and spin easily?

I'm about out of ideas ...
I was hoping to cap the line where the hard line meets the flex line to avoid having to buy and seat new copper seals.

Yes, I have driven it like this. It's funny you mention the odd rotor pattern. It appears only about half the width of the pad is engaging the RR rotor. I removed the caliper and realized that one of the "ears" that sticks out of the front of the pad was coming in contact with the caliper when I closed the caliper. I had to shave about .1" off to get the caliper to slide over the pad without contacting that "ear".

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about the metal part of the pad pointing to the top of the picture here. When I closed the caliper over the pad, they would make contact and I had to force it back to get the caliper bolt it. So I shaved this part off and it closes fine now with no force. I'm not sure if this would cause the uneven wear, but I figured it was the reason.

I took the guide pins out and regreased them and they all appear fine. None were seized or anything.

Quick Reply: $25 to whoever diagnoses my brake problem