Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

looking for more bite....more aggressive pad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011 | 08:15 PM
9 Second Club

The cam isnt small. But neither is the motor. Ive honestly never checked the vacuum. Didnt think about it. What should it be? How would i go about improving the vacuum the brakes need?
Old 09-30-2011 | 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Kevin--

With all due respect, there is something not right here. Fading DTC-70's? Wow, impressive as that's as big and bad as it gets, and 145 isn't that much speed for those pads. These are pads you see on GT-1/Trans-Am and World Challenge cars.

Autocross is pretty specific. Sounds like you might run into some more Solo 1 type speeds. And I'm not unfamiliar with those either. I also run track days, etc. In fact there is an in car video of me running one last year in my Camaro @ Beaverun here in PA. And I'm doing it on HT-10/HP Plus pads, a long way from DTC-70's... And Beaverun is HARD on brakes. Short lap, two braking zones after long straights, the second of which is literally one corner after the first. Well into a session I almost cram into a GT3 911 because I was braking much deeper than he was. Looks further than it is due to the wide angle lens (just look at how far the dash seems away from the camera to get a sense of scale). And on that short lap, I'm touching 120-125 at the end of both straights and dropping down to 2nd and 3rd gear for the subsequent corners, about 45-70 mph... and I did it all day long, and ran those pads another day.

Autocrossing is generally topping out at 65 mph. SCCA is by far the major sanctioning body for it and that's who I generally run with. I just posted a video of a Corvette event when I'm driving a C5 Z06 which didn't have to meet SCCA rules, still topped about right about 65. This is not hard on brakes. You want brakes that work, but it's not hard on them.
Well I wasn't doing anything wrong, just a heavy-*** GTO and no cooling. After totaling nearly 7 hours of track time on the same pads and rotors, I found the limits of the DTC-70. I wasn't running cooling ducts and obviously determined they were a must at that point. I didn't have a poblem with them for the first six or seven sessions but toward the end of a later session when I was really late braking and hunting down a couple cars, the pads starting showing some fade. It's not like I lost all pedal effort, but they were certainly getting too hot and I was having to brake earlier before corners than I was on previous laps. Since then, brake cooling has been a priority. They were the most rediculous brake pads I ever used and I swear by them. The rotors were shot but I was safe and that's what mattered.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-01-2011 | 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

ok i have been unable to locate stop tech pads anywhere to look them over for info. the hp + and dtc both look like they will bite...which one is quieter and which is going to be better at cold stopping power?
Old 10-03-2011 | 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Check you PMs, good sir.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-19-2012 | 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I ran DTC-30's with my C6-Z06 caliper setup in my daily driver. Squeaking was intermittent, slightly more pressure would quiet them. But when they do squeal bad, I hope you don't have any tooth fillings. Dusting was horrible, I wouldn't use them with nice wheels unless you religiously wash them at least once a week. New set of rotors and pads every couple of months. The rotors were never nice and smooth across the surface. But the pad's stopping power, WOW. Don't brake check someone tailgating you with these pads. I let my daily driver wheels go maybe 4-5 weeks once in the rain with these pads and no solution would remove the bonded brake dust on my wheels. I had to freaking wet sand the wheels with 300'ish sand paper to remove the dust. Cold stopping power wasn't a problem at all.

I switched to Ferrodo DS-2500's and they don't have quite the stopping power, but better than HPS; I've never used HPS+. I can go 3-4 weeks in between wheel washing and Sonax manages to clean it off, where it wouldn't remove the DTC30 material if it was more than about 1-2 weeks since the previous cleaning, or if it had rained and baked since the last cleaning.

So in my opinion, the DTC-30 has better cold stopping power and initial bite, but noisier and shorter life than the DS2500.

Quick Reply: looking for more bite....more aggressive pad?