Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Disc problem; overheat and spots..ceramic pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Disc problem; overheat and spots..ceramic pads

Ok guys, I have a problem with my damn rotors; when I first got em, they got spotted really quick after 3-4 days even if I did the break in procedure perfectly. Shaking while driving was really bad.
So I got a new set from the sponsor. New ones were drilled. This set went ok for 6months and after a short trip to a local track(6laps of a short track), they were black spotted pretty bad.

Then I decided to tried to get the initial plain discs turned. They managed to remove the spot, but the discs cant be turned anymore, the guy said, cause they removed too much material.
Next, I installed the discs back for a try(brake sillicone was applied to pins/clean the old grease/buff the little dirt/dust between hub and wheels/torque wheels by hands with torque wrench/etc..).

Test drive is perfect; no more shaking!!! I'm driving my car like an old man since then(1 week) to break in setup.

Yesterday, I look at my disc; what the $%$?, black spots on the disc!!! I dont feel any vibrations for now, but why is this!!??
I'm thinking my pads might be the culprit and the disc too. Ceramic pads BTW with powerslot rotors**..I think I'm learning again that you get what you pay for..**. I think its the ceramic that is causing the overheating problem.

Last thing is I want to wait till next summer because I'm thinking about doing a 2005+ Z06 caliper/disc conversion.

Did I forget something?? I'm pretty sure not cause every other brake job I did was perfect(I've done 30+ for me and firends..). I'm no professionnal, but I take my time and put the extra effort because its my car..

Last edited by Johnnystock; 10-02-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You sure your pins are good and smooth? Any defects or pitting/wear grooves in the slide indicates it's best to replace them...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

They're smooth, maybe some very very minor pitting, like 2-3 1mm round spots. Other than that, they look brand new.

I'm having this problem since I got the new disc and pads. I replaced disc/pads before on my camaro without issue; I had Hawk pads with blank disc and the car was stopping way harder, but the brake dust was terrible.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
They're smooth, maybe some very very minor pitting, like 2-3 1mm round spots. Other than that, they look brand new.

I'm having this problem since I got the new disc and pads. I replaced disc/pads before on my camaro without issue; I had Hawk pads with blank disc and the car was stopping way harder, but the brake dust was terrible.
What did you lubricate the slide pins with??

You need to use high temp ceramic brake lube, otherwise the pins will not slide freely and will lock up when they get hot.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

^are you telling me that there is a special lubricant for ceramic brake pads??..I used regular brake sillicone, nothing else is available or for sale here, to my knowledge. When I removed the pins, they werent stuck or jammed with the regular stuff.

Quick Reply: Disc problem; overheat and spots..ceramic pads