Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E-brake Shoe - Simple Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E-brake Shoe - Simple Question

When I put the E-brake shoe on, I test installed the rotor and I can hear is scraping slightly through part of the rotation. Is that normal? Is there anything special I need to know about putting on the shoe?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea, a little noise is not a big deal.

Regardless, while you are there - you should adjust your ebrake:
- Put the rotor on with the ebrake off.
- Measure the play in the lever at the back of the brake plate (where the spring on the ebrake cable attaches.) With the rotor ON, the play in the lever should be 2-3mm.
- With BOTH of your rotors on, your ebrake handle should only go 3-5 clicks with normal force. (Don't pull the handle without both rotors on! - bad things will happen...)

If you have too much or not enough play in the lever, just turn the star wheel and re-test.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome, thanks.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I was checking the play at lever on the back of the plate and its not letting the shoe completely disengage the rotor. I can still hear it rubbing the rotor a little when I turn it unless I push the lever the rest of the way (about 1 mm) to disengage completely. I think the assembly needs to be cleaned and re-lubed. Do you know what kind of grease is used for this? Maybe some bearing grease?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put a little grease on the 3 points on the back of the shoe that make contact with the backing plate or you will get an annoying squeak once on the road.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 105
Well I was checking the play at lever on the back of the plate and its not letting the shoe completely disengage the rotor. I can still hear it rubbing the rotor a little when I turn it unless I push the lever the rest of the way (about 1 mm) to disengage completely. I think the assembly needs to be cleaned and re-lubed. Do you know what kind of grease is used for this? Maybe some bearing grease?
Sounds like what happened to me.

That lever comes out the back plate in a rubber boot, which gets torn to hell over time. (You can get new ones from RMS Performance.) Once the boot goes, dirt gets in to the mechanism and gums things up.

If you are sticking, I'd recommend taking the whole mechanism apart, cleaning with rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner, and then re-assembling. You can re-assemble with generous amounts of common brake grease. (You'll probably also want to do this with new boots on hand.)

If you've ever done drum brakes before, its easy - although getting the cable off the lever is kind of a PITA.

There's a PDF diagram that will help attached to this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ake-parts.html
Old 10-03-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I just put new RMS boots on it but I guess it was already too dirty in there.