Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut Tower Brace Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People who do this mod and cant feel a difference must drive their car like a grandmother. I noticed the difference in my front end immediately when I put mine on, likewise in several other fbodies that Ive experienced the "before/after". Got mine from UMI for $60 shipped during one of their sales. Definately no need to spend $200 on one, but definately a worth while mod IMO-just get a cheaper one.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
People who do this mod and cant feel a difference must drive their car like a grandmother.
I disagree.

Well.... technically Janet Guthrie is more than old enough to be a grandmother so I suppose your stipulation is plausible.

Been there, done that with the shock tower brace. Really a waste of money on these cars IMO. No benefit or difference that I could discern.

And I probably drive my car harder on far larger / stickier tires than all but a handful of others on this forum too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAtysqarM9c
Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

People who do this mod and cant feel a difference must drive their car like a grandmother.
While my grandmother was pretty awesome ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-ILKGNH7k
Old 10-08-2011, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Mine did nothing(and I can slip it on and off easily, no need to jack the car up like some claim), and neither did SFC's for that matter, and I don't drive my car lightly.
Lol my dad thought he could slip his STB on without jacking up his bird also until he realized 2 months later he ate right through a pair of tires. I would figure jacked up or not after installing STB alignment would probably be a must considering you do have to unbolt the upper strut brace bolts.

I am putting an SLP STB that I got along with my whole SLP suspension set from ws6store. So no matter what I will need an alignment and thats when I am throwing mine on.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You've obviously never seen me driving my car
Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

i have pretty much every suspension mod you can do...sfc, panhard bar, shocks, springs,etc. and when i put my hotchkis stb on i could notice a difference. it tightened up the front end and did get rid of some small rattles like people said. in conjunction with the other mods i think it was worth it...especially for the cheap price..and it looks cool...lol.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
Youre just like my ex wife *******.. you never support me on ANYTHING!!! I HATE YOU, I HOPE YOU CATCH HERPES!!!!

Well, I drove the **** out of it this morning... I have a ttop and I can honestly say I dont have as many rattles. The rattles/vibrations are more pronounced now that the weather has cooled so I definitely noticed a difference in the interior noise. I would like to say it acted better on the on/off ramps but my experience may be because I have !swaybar. Maybe that is why it felt a bit different. I also have 150k shocks/springs so Im sure if I stretched a rubberband across my strut towers it would make some kind of improvement. Overall, id say its a 80% cosmetic and 20% functional upgrade. I like the noise reduction...
Bro, you on your period? I already got to deal with her for 1 week out of the month, not your e-feelings also.

There is no performance/etc gain with a STB. Some cars suspension design can gain for it.. The way our cars are designed, there is no gain from it.

Last edited by lemons12; 10-10-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
There is no performance/etc gain with a STB. Some cars suspension design can gain for it.. The way our cars are designed, there is no gain from it.
Been sayin' the same thing for years.

And all through this thread I've seen, "Cause It Looks Cool."
IMHO It makes you look like a sucker.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bro, you on your period? I already got to deal with her for 1 week out of the month, not your e-feelings also.

haha... you are so insensitive......
Old 10-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

My old SS had no suspension work and my newer one has SFC's and a STB. I don't care what anyone says, the car is twice as tight as the old one. And what is this nonsense about corvettes not having more power thank an SS? Our cars make 325 stock (being nice) while a stock c5 vette makes 350 and weights less.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperStock99
My old SS had no suspension work and my newer one has SFC's and a STB. I don't care what anyone says, the car is twice as tight as the old one. And what is this nonsense about corvettes not having more power thank an SS? Our cars make 325 stock (being nice) while a stock c5 vette makes 350 and weights less.
It's the same engine in the SS Camaro and the C5 Vette. They both make 350HP. We've had this debate on these forums for years...trust me, same power from both cars.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't be so forward and blunt. Throw in a maybe or I think somewhere.

If you are too lazy to search that a stb does nothing for these cars, I'm not helping.. You gotta dig a little. People way smarter than you, and me, when it comes to suspension and these cars have said they don't help and stated the reasons.
The suspension setups on these cars do not allow a stb to show gains. I dont care what your horrible first hand experience and lack of common sense tell you. Your ab comparison was lacking, a lot.

Nobody argued that src don't help, they are an awesome mod and show huge improvement.

You ready to be slapped now?

Don't think I have to go any further into detail on that.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't be so forward and blunt. Throw in a maybe or I think somewhere.
Thank you!!! This is the problem with car stuff. Why does everyone think they are an expert? Why is it so hard for people to admit they aren't sure about something?

If it does anything, I don't think it does much. It's making a connection between the shock mounting points in the engine bay. It doesn't effect your suspension. If there is any flex in there, I guess that could slightly effect alignment/camber... "maybe".. only way to tell would be to get some sort of data but no one has the money or time, or means to run a comparison test.

Not to mention 99% of people who say they are driving their car at the limit are probably not.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 1% that might be pushing the car to its limits wouldn't say they were! Haha
Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My old SS had no suspension work and my newer one has SFC's and a STB. I don't care what anyone says, the car is twice as tight as the old one.
Im willing to bet your old SS had shitty decarbons while your new SS has something like the factory bilstien package and you dont know it.
What color are your shocks and springs?

And what is this nonsense about corvettes not having more power thank an SS? Our cars make 325 stock (being nice) while a stock c5 vette makes 350 and weights less.
Good god... Welcome back from 1998...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Holy **** bitter party of 3 your table is ready. Race a stock fbody against a stock vette and it will lose. I have seen it happen countless times. They make similar power but a vette is lighter and more aerodynamic. My car with a lid and flows dynoed at 313 so that factory rating is a little off. It may look even on paper but I'm talking personal experience here watching them race and racing them over and over. And honestly I couldnt care less what some "expert" says about a STB making no difference, If I feel one then good for me, it came on the car when I bought it so nothing lost there. I didn't claim to be an expert on suspension hence why I have a thread a couple down asking for suspension advice. I do however know that my current car feels tighter with SFC's and STB then my old one w/o either. And no I don't have the SLP Bilsteins. Now get that scrunch out of your panties.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Holy **** bitter party of 3 your table is ready. Race a stock fbody against a stock vette and it will lose. I have seen it happen countless times. They make similar power but a vette is lighter and more aerodynamic. My car with a lid and flows dynoed at 313 so that factory rating is a little off. It may look even on paper but I'm talking personal experience here watching them race and racing them over and over. And honestly I couldnt care less what some "expert" says about a STB making no difference, If I feel one then good for me, it came on the car when I bought it so nothing lost there. I didn't claim to be an expert on suspension hence why I have a thread a couple down asking for suspension advice. I do however know that my current car feels tighter with SFC's and STB then my old one w/o either. And no I don't have the SLP Bilsteins. Now get that scrunch out of your panties.
What about the countless number I had lose and beaten personally stock for stock?

Vettes also have irs and less side wall, resulting in wheel hop. They are harder to launch than fbodys and all around are not a better design for drag racing. This isn't anything new.
They don't make similar power, they make the same power. Just because your car put that down doesn't mean I cant go find ten other fbodys that put down 305+rwhp bone stock and 325+ with a lid and muffler. Stop using just your own car for comparison.
On average, a base c5 will lose to an fbody in a race. I showed you an A B comparison where an fbody put down more power than a c5...

Saying, "I couldnt care less about what an EXPERT says" makes you look pretty dumb. You are trying to compare two COMPLETELY different cars for start. Then on top comparing a car without sfc to one with it and playing it off as if the stb is king ****. The sfc made all the difference in the world, the stb did absolutely nothing, period. Did I mention that fbody suspension is designed in such a way that it physically can not benefit from a stb? How the **** can you argue that?

Argue with me all you want.. You will be continued to be ripped apart post by post. You are wrong.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Holy **** bitter party of 3 your table is ready. Race a stock fbody against a stock vette and it will lose. I have seen it happen countless times. They make similar power but a vette is lighter and more aerodynamic.
As already said here (and countless times everywhere on the forum) they both make 350hp at the flywheel, thats a fact.

My car with a lid and flows dynoed at 313 so that factory rating is a little off.
Not at all. 313RWHP = 359hp at the flywheel using a 15% drivetrain loss since you have an M6 (all cars are rated at the flywheel from the factory if you don't know). And your "flows" (flomaster im assuming?) is actually robbing you of some power as well, people have lost a few hp over the stock muffler with those...

It may look even on paper but I'm talking personal experience here watching them race and racing them over and over.
The Corvette should be faster, its lighter, but doesn't make any more power...
And honestly I couldnt care less what some "expert" says about a STB making no difference, If I feel one then good for me, it came on the car when I bought it so nothing lost there. I didn't claim to be an expert on suspension hence why I have a thread a couple down asking for suspension advice. I do however know that my current car feels tighter with SFC's and STB then my old one w/o either. And no I don't have the SLP Bilsteins. Now get that scrunch out of your panties.
Thats an extremely weak argument. So many variables left out.
And you still didn't answer my question, what color are your shocks and springs?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

What about the countless number I had lose and beaten personally stock for stock?

Vettes also have irs and less side wall, resulting in wheel hop. They are harder to launch than fbodys and all around are not a better design for drag racing. This isn't anything new.
They don't make similar power, they make the same power. Just because your car put that down doesn't mean I cant go find ten other fbodys that put down 305+rwhp bone stock and 325+ with a lid and muffler. Stop using just your own car for comparison.
On average, a base c5 will lose to an fbody in a race. I showed you an A B comparison where an fbody put down more power than a c5...

Saying, "I couldnt care less about what an EXPERT says" makes you look pretty dumb. You are trying to compare two COMPLETELY different cars for start. Then on top comparing a car without sfc to one with it and playing it off as if the stb is king ****. The sfc made all the difference in the world, the stb did absolutely nothing, period. Did I mention that fbody suspension is designed in such a way that it physically can not benefit from a stb? How the **** can you argue that?

Argue with me all you want.. You will be continued to be ripped apart post by post. You are wrong.
Im not trying to get in a pissing match with someone over the internet because this is obviously something that you take entirely to seriously. I compare by my personal experiences you compare by yours, they are obviously different. First of all you are comparing drag racing while me street. Secondly I bought my car with just a STB and added SFCs later. No it was not a jaw dropping difference but TO ME it felt tighter up front. I dont need a scientist to prove that. I love these cars just as much as anyone else, this is why I have had 2 but you are just an extremist Obviously you hate corvettes and have studied every article ever written to prove that Fbodys are better. Perhaps you should find another hobbie. And as far as ripping me apart.....your hysterical man, do you honestly think I or anyone other than you gives a rats *** about your internet rants?

To the OP: PM Lemons for all the info you could possibly ever need about STB's. He has studied them endlessly for years and is very knowledgeable about them (see above). If you want one, just get it, it's 60 bucks and if you don't like it throw it up in the classifieds. If you don't have $60 to waste than you probably shouldn't be modding cars anyways.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
As already said here (and countless times everywhere on the forum) they both make 350hp at the flywheel, thats a fact.

Not at all. 313RWHP = 359hp at the flywheel using a 15% drivetrain loss since you have an M6 (all cars are rated at the flywheel from the factory if you don't know). And your "flows" (flomaster im assuming?) is actually robbing you of some power as well, people have lost a few hp over the stock muffler with those...

The Corvette should be faster, its lighter, but doesn't make any more power...

Thats an extremely weak argument. So many variables left out.
And you still didn't answer my question, what color are your shocks and springs?
I know flowmasters rob power, they were on there when I bought the car(sound good though).

Perhaps I was unclear when I said they make more power, I should have said they are faster. I am aware there is a difference there.

As far as color of shocks I couldn't tell you, I asked the original owner when I bought it if it had bilsteins and he said no. Ive only had the car a couple months and plan on switching them soon.

And thank you for having a civil conversation rather than beating on your chest like a cyber gorilla.

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace Bar?