Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut Tower Brace Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperStock99
Im not trying to get in a pissing match with someone over the internet because this is obviously something that you take entirely to seriously. I compare by my personal experiences you compare by yours, they are obviously different. First of all you are comparing drag racing while me street. Secondly I bought my car with just a STB and added SFCs later. No it was not a jaw dropping difference but TO ME it felt tighter up front. I dont need a scientist to prove that. I love these cars just as much as anyone else, this is why I have had 2 but you are just an extremist Obviously you hate corvettes and have studied every article ever written to prove that Fbodys are better. Perhaps you should find another hobbie. And as far as ripping me apart.....your hysterical man, do you honestly think I or anyone other than you gives a rats *** about your internet rants?

To the OP: PM Lemons for all the info you could possibly ever need about STB's. He has studied them endlessly for years and is very knowledgeable about them (see above). If you want one, just get it, it's 60 bucks and if you don't like it throw it up in the classifieds. If you don't have $60 to waste than you probably shouldn't be modding cars anyways.
Me take the interwebz for real, you dont know me very well on this forum do you?

Let me help you..

I'm not talking about street driving on Sunday, auto cross, drag racing, 0-60-0 challenge, or anything in-between. I don't care what you are doing, a stb will show no gain. Period. You can't argue that, it is fact. Did it make a difference in your mind? Sure, but it was not there.

So.. You bought the car with the stb on it, and compared it to your other car.... Yea hunny, great comparison skills you have.

Guess what my next car toy will be when the trans am is paid off? O my god!!! GASP!!! A C5Zo6. You're right, I hate them.. I tell it like it is and use facts, not what I feel like babbling about that day.
Me find anotber hobby? Why? Because I spend time researching and learning about my platform instead of doing tests with no idea how to conduct one. Awesome retard.

I bet at least 3 people have read out posts and thought, damn this guy is getting in over his head.

I obviously did way more research than you so that may not be a bad idea, good advice for one.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Whether it hrts your efeelings or not is irrelvant.

I have backed everything I have stated with fact. You laugh at EXPERTS and make incorrect claims with no evidence for your reasons other than, just because you think that.

Keep going.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Babbling??? I made one 2 sentence comment while you are printing magazine articles. The street and drag racing was a comparison to the quickness of a vette vs a fbody and had nothing to do with the STB. I figured you would be pretty good at reading with all the articles you have trolled but I guess not. My comparison between my two cars is a matter of opinion, I never stated it as a fact. I never said "I have proven that it is a fact you will notice tremendous gains" did I? I didn't conduct tests, Im not a scientist. I can get in a camry and a corvette and say hey this is faster or this handles better. Some things don't need experts to prove. But when I need one at least I now know where to find one. For every 3 people that reads my posts and say "man hes getting in over his head" there are 10 more saying "man lemons is a douche." My efeelings are just fine by the way, but thank you for your concern.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll take that.. I can read in-between the lines, gray area if you will.

I get told daily I'm an *** hole and blunt with my delivery, ask around its nothing new. If an idiot wants to argue with a fact I offer with support, why would I be gentle?
I will be an informed douche over an ignorant person that tries to offer opinion as fact any day of the week. Thanks for the talk.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
I'll take that.. I can read in-between the lines, gray area if you will.

I get told daily I'm an *** hole and blunt with my delivery, ask around its nothing new. If an idiot wants to argue with a fact I offer with support, why would I be gentle?
I will be an informed douche over an ignorant person that tries to offer opinion as fact any day of the week. Thanks for the talk.
As do I, this is probably why we but heads. But for you to call me ignorant for offering someone who asked a question my opinion (that I never stated as fact) is asinine. This is a forum where people ask questions to receive facts AND opinions. I know I ask for opinions on here all the time because I know there are hundreds of people on here who have more knowledge and experience about certain things than I do. I am not the all knowing Fbody demi-god and have never claimed to be. But for you to chastise someone for offering an opinion is a communist act. Nice chat, Im going to sleep bro.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I replied as such because it is fact about the stb not being able to show a gain, its not something that someone can really give an opinion on since it has been proven by the experts in our field. I understand where you're coming from, but with this its just false.
Now... Removing front sway bar, throw some opinions out!! Actually, sorry I brought it up, nobody run with that please.

Don't let the bed bugs bite! Nom Nom Nom
Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

threads like this are why this forum is going to ****

the newbs think they know it all
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Obviously you hate corvettes and have studied every article ever written to prove that Fbodys are better. Perhaps you should find another hobbie. And as far as ripping me apart.....your hysterical man, do you honestly think I or anyone other than you gives a rats *** about your internet rants?
Babbling??? I made one 2 sentence comment while you are printing magazine articles.
Dude...
I gotta say, this is common knowledge, its in multiple stickies, that actual picture from the magazine article is in a sticky in this very forum in the newbie section, and has been there for YEARS.
Its ok you didn't know, but just admit it instead of trying to argue and finger point. The problem was you are stating things like they are facts when they are not (the corvette power vs fbody power thing).
And is just plain ignorant to point out the STB making a difference comparing two different cars that you may not know what else is on one of them.
You could have better shocks that you don't know about, better or newer bushings that you don't know about, different springs (like 1LE springs) that you don't know about, or swaybars, etc etc. that all could make a difference on how the front feels.
It would be one thing if you added it and could do a back to back comparison with the same exact car, but thats not the case (while others, like myself, have done a back to back comparison with/without a STB on the exact same car with no difference).

I know flowmasters rob power, they were on there when I bought the car(sound good though).
Just threw that out there to further prove these cars make 350+ fly wheel HP, your making over 350 fly wheel HP and have a muffler thats holding you back over stock.
As far as color of shocks I couldn't tell you, I asked the original owner when I bought it if it had bilsteins and he said no. Ive only had the car a couple months and plan on switching them soon.
Go look under the car, it only takes 5 seconds.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

My old 97 Trans Am came with a STB, and I rocked it for about a year and a half. I ended up taking it off and giving it to my friend and actually liked the ride BETTER WITHOUT IT. My personal experience, but I'm sure some of you here will tell me my personal experience is scientifically wrong.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne

When did I claim I knew everything? I offered an opinion to the OP who asked a question and made a statement that vettes are faster than fbodies. I did not realize I have to back up every statement I make with factual, scientific evidence. Maybe you guys being so uptight about something so stupid is the reason this forum is going to ****.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Dude...
I gotta say, this is common knowledge, its in multiple stickies, that actual picture from the magazine article is in a sticky in this very forum in the newbie section, and has been there for YEARS.
Its ok you didn't know, but just admit it instead of trying to argue and finger point. The problem was you are stating things like they are facts when they are not (the corvette power vs fbody power thing).
I thought I covered this in my last reply but I shouldn't have used "power" in my post, I was simply saying a corvette is faster on the street.

Originally Posted by HoLLo
My old 97 Trans Am came with a STB, and I rocked it for about a year and a half. I ended up taking it off and giving it to my friend and actually liked the ride BETTER WITHOUT IT. My personal experience, but I'm sure some of you here will tell me my personal experience is scientifically wrong.
How dare you have an opinion.

And on that note I am done talking about STB's....you guys are free to argue amongst yourselves.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne

There's nothing wrong with voicing an opinion and even taking issue with an opinion. A good debate makes one think.

Unless of course arrogance and ego filter in and then feelings get hurt and discussions turn into Jr. High name-calling and mud slinging. That is what is driving this forum to ****.

Some folks just can't take criticism well and like it even less if you take issue with what they've said.

And they are willing to drive away customers, friendships and long-term relationships all over a forum post on the internet.

Happens all the time. And the sad thing is, they never get over it.

This STB (or insert your favorite component here) debate rages on YEARS after it first started.

But one thing for certain ... no one is going to change their minds no matter what name they are called, what "proof" is entered into evidence or what some "expert" has to say about it.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I think voicing an opinion is fine, but I don't care for misleading information. Sometimes they can be confused.

Another pet peeve is that too many are afraid of just not answering something when they don't really know the answer.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I haven't purchased a STB for this reason but many have reported that it may knock out a few rattles. I'm contemplating purchasing a STB for this benefit alone if this is true. Mtchntx: what do you make of this?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Go look under the car, it only takes 5 seconds.
I'm going to guess his color combo is orange shocks and black springs.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

If something rattles, it's loose or out of place.

Fix the problem, don't bandaid it.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
If something rattles, it's loose or out of place.

Fix the problem, don't bandaid it.
This is a smart ******* man.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I took the time to fix all the creaks and rattles... ID NEVER HAVE TIME TO DRIVE THE DAMN THING!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
If I took the time to fix all the creaks and rattles... ID NEVER HAVE TIME TO DRIVE THE DAMN THING!!!
Just build something to make all the rattles stop.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 12pt cage and lots of Expand-o-foam should do it...
Old 10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in seeing these "proven tests" that show the STB's do nothing on fbody's. Not being a dick, just genuinely curious.

How would you even "test" to see if the STB "shows gains"? I swear to god I have felt a difference in the handfull of F-body's me and my buddys have installed them on (and no, Im not one of those guys who thinks a CAI will give me 20rwhp) I supposed It could possibly be attributed to other worn out chassis/suspension pieces or something on some cars, but nevertheless, more bracing is good IMO.

My buddy's 94 TA had front tires that were getting pretty worn out, and you could feel the front end/wheels vibrate at highway speeds. One night when we were working on some other stuff on his car we decided to throw on an old STB one of my other friends had laying around. The vibration at highway speeds was non-existent afterwards on the same stretch of roads and at the same speed. (Im not saying a STB is a replacement for tires, but it definately seems to serve a purpose)

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace Bar?