Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering PHR attachment on axle side...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowering PHR attachment on axle side...

It seems like this would be something more common for lowered cars yet I've never really seen or heard of anyone doing it. With the PHR sitting horizontal at factory ride height, lowering the suspension will make the pass. side sit lower. In my case there's about a 1.5" difference in height between the driver's side and the pass. side heim joints on my PHR.

Over the years I've kinda kicked around the idea of fabbing up a "relocation bracket" if you will for the PHR on lowered cars to keep the bar horizontal. Seems like this would serve the classic purpose of minimizing lateral travel in the axle as the PHR swings up and down as well as slightly dropping the rear roll center.

I see where Ground Control has a complete PHR kit that claims to drop rear RC 1.5" and that there is welding required. I assume this involves some form of downward relocation, but have never seen the setup firsthand.

Anybody do this sort of a relocation with their PHR after lowering the car? If so, what were your impressions? I'm just wondering if the gains would at all justify the effort. I'd be curious to hear some opinions on this...
Old 03-09-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PHB pivots on both ends. I don't see how it can cause the rear to sit uneven, especially with heims. If you have a poly ended PHB, I could see binding the bushing on one end and it causing problems.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Mitch,
No, its not the rear that sits uneven, its the PHR - my description probably wasn't real good

By design the PHR fitting on the passenger/body side, with factory suspension height, should sit at the same height as the fitting on the driver/axle side. This allows the PHR to sit horizontal when at rest thereby creating the least amount of lateral (i.e. left/right) axle deflection as the axle moves up and down through its travel.

Now, when you lower the car, the body side fitting drops down lower along with the rest of the body. This in turn changes the geometry of the PHR by deviating from its designed horizontal position.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH ... I see, now.

www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/
Old 03-09-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Good link. I'd never heard of this outfit before. I'll have to take a look.

Quick Reply: Lowering PHR attachment on axle side...