Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

loud bang when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud bang when going over bumps

i had some subframe connectors welded in a while back. later that week was the first time i heard the loud bang. i hit a pothole at 35mph and from what sounded like the driver's side rear there was a loud metal bang. i pulled over because i honestly thought i broke a weld on the new SFC's. after checking they were fine.

this loud bang has happened several times now mostly when going over bumps and once under sudden acceleration.

also, i dont know if it's related, but this summer my shocks have been squeaking really bad when going into driveways. it did it when my wife got out of the car the other day in public and i thought she was going to murder me. :S

i have a friend coming over this week, and i need to know what i should look at. i'm basically clueless about suspension. i got under the car and shook everything i could get my hands on. i also pushed on the corners of the car and i could not replicate the noise.

any help is much appreciated. i tried searching for about an hour but i couldn't find much.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Very odd. Were the subframes installed on a lift? I could maybe see something weird happening if they were installed while the chassis was flexing or something.

Can you at least determine where the sound is coming from? That would help the diagnostic process.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

I had this issue on my SS primarily over bumps in parking lots -- the exhaust clamp came a bit loose due to the changes from SFCs being welded and the exhaust was leaking that you could hear from the driver seat. Speed Inc. only used a two-post lift, when they should have used a four-post lift to weld them.

Since the exhaust was re-set with clamps, this issue hasn't returned. My trans mount was also shot and replaced, so that may have been contributing as well.

What shocks do you have and how many miles on them?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wouldn't hurt to take a quick look at your bump stops.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broken fr upper shock mount?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

it's all stock with 19k original miles on it. only suspension stuff is SFC's and STB.

i had the SFC's welded in at a muffler shop and they have the crawl spaces under the cars like an oil change place.

its hard to determine where the sound is coming from. i may need someone to ride in the back seat over some bumps or something when it does make the sound it usually catches me off guard when i'm not trying to figure it out.

i will check anything that people list on this thread, but i have a feeling its going to come down to a lot of time spent checking everything from exhaust to suspension to trans mount, everything i can think of. my biggest concern is the amount of force needed to get it to replicate the sound. i may not be able to push on something hard and fast enough by hand. hopefully whatever it is will be obvious when i see it. until then i have my fingers crossed its either a cheap fix or something that i want to upgrade anyways.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

the sound is definitely coming from the driver's side rear. i havn't messed with it much because i havn't been driving it much. i will get under there and dig around again.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

This same thing happen to me after having my SFC welded in. I found out it was my tranny mount. Now that I think about it this also happened to me on my old zee and it was the same thing tranny mount.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Samething happened to my brothers Z and it was also the tranny mount.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

If this is your problem as well VatoZone has pollys for $29.99 lol I wasn't trying to pay over $100 for stock mount. Also didn't want to wait to have a vendor ship me pollys when VatoZone has them.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

is it like a knocking sound? i have the same issue on my pass. side when going over a pothole (which cant be avoided sometimes). i have bolt on sfc so a quick retorque should cure my issues,or a tranny mount , weld on i havent a clue, but i think i know the noise your speaking of
Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you checked to see if it is your spare tire bouncing around? I had the same problem and luckily for me it was just my spare clunking around. Its on the passanger side (the post above me) so hopefully this may be the simple solution to your problem for you two as well
Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, i dont believe that is it since i never had this noise until i installed the sfc's, i will retorque them this weekend and get back with this thread, but mine are bolt-on sfc's, not weld-on. But thanks for the tip.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the replies. sorry i haven't gotten back yet.

the spare tire is so simple its brilliant. i never checked it. i will check the trans mount next time i get it lifted up.

been fishing a lot since i have to winterize the boat next week
Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

I had a bad trans mount and would bang under throttle and bumps. However, I understand the Trans mounts interlock inside. Check it.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

i installed a new poly trans mount, and the noise has stopped so far. i will post back if for some reason this didn't fix it.

our autozone didn't have any mounts for my car. i ordered it from ws6store. the bolts that come with the kit are junk. i broke the first one trying to get it to factory torque. luckily the kit came with 2 bolts, so i didn't torque the 2nd bolt down quite as much.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 AM

Default Ball joint?!

Originally Posted by Russell PTA
i had some subframe connectors welded in a while back. later that week was the first time i heard the loud bang. i hit a pothole at 35mph and from what sounded like the driver's side rear there was a loud metal bang. i pulled over because i honestly thought i broke a weld on the new SFC's. after checking they were fine.

this loud bang has happened several times now mostly when going over bumps and once under sudden acceleration.

also, i dont know if it's related, but this summer my shocks have been squeaking really bad when going into driveways. it did it when my wife got out of the car the other day in public and i thought she was going to murder me. :S

i have a friend coming over this week, and i need to know what i should look at. i'm basically clueless about suspension. i got under the car and shook everything i could get my hands on. i also pushed on the corners of the car and i could not replicate the noise.

any help is much appreciated. i tried searching for about an hour but i couldn't find much.
Hey man I think it may be a worn/damaged/broken ball joint. Worth a look anyway...
Old 04-28-2016, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

I hope after five years, he figured it out

Quick Reply: loud bang when going over bumps