Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I really need to relocate the torque off the tail shaft??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey z28241. We don't have any pics at the moment but are sure it'll fit, as both Ryan and Jerry have installed them on multiple test and customer cars.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hey z28241. We don't have any pics at the moment but are sure it'll fit, as both Ryan and Jerry have installed them on multiple test and customer cars.
Okay thanx for the info! Ill b sure to place an order soon!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

Hey z28241

As a side note, we're having a Thanksgiving sale starting on the day o' the turkey...

Thanks for your support.

ramey
Old 11-07-2011, 03:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher
There are torque arms more designed for handling / road racing.
Not cheap, also non sponsors here....
Of course, some us who corner carve don't use those other types anyway. I tried, more than once... and my car ended up on a "normal" type adjustable TA, and did just fine with it. In fact yesterday in the hands of it's new owner driving it for the first time continued to go really quickly.

The long and short of it is this. Decoupling a TA doesn't stop axle hop, lots of solid axle vehicles with no TA at all brake-hop. If you want to spend a lot of money on a complicated setup, that's your business. I drove cars with two different decoupled arms, and other with another type of arm (total of 3 different "non traditional" style arms. Every title I won, had a standard UMI TA on it.

If you want it off the trans, then run a relocation bracket. I would not recommend a tunnel mount style arm, but a full length arm with the bracket/new trans crossmember with a TA mount on it.

And fwiw, I carry the entire UMI line. I'd be happy to help you out with a discussion and explanation of why I'd do what I'd do.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-07-2011, 10:15 PM
wrencher

I agree with you, heck I was RR my car with an Alston torque arm for a while.
The wheel hop got un-managable in specific conditions with it though.
I run a regular off tail shaft as well now.

Thought about the de-coupled or the GW but I'm good for now.
When I fell the need for torture I may go those routes.
But they are an option, nothing more.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
Anyone know how that relocation affects noise or anything? If it transfers alot more harshness?
Yes it does and yes it's annoying. If you're not racing, you don't need it.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Yes it does and yes it's annoying. If you're not racing, you don't need it.
Its not that bad. And very few on this website do NOT race. Think about it.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Its not that bad. And very few on this website do NOT race. Think about it.
Not that bad for an auto maybe. I guess the original poster is one of those few as he said he doesn't drag. I race and don't use one. (collects dust in the garage) Think about that.

Last edited by INMY01TA; 11-09-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

A buddy of mine didn't relocate his torque arm off his transmission on his auto trans am and snapped his tail shaft. He doesn't race and it happened on the dyno. I personally would relocate it.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a a4 and it is the best investment i have ever made! i would never have a f-body with out one relocated off the tail section. i broke mine from a roll 60-120 then bomb i thought i gernaded my trans but nope just snaped tail section right off.. as far as ride and noise.. it dose make a lil bit more noise from the gear but the ride i think is 100% better stiffend my ride up a lil bit and made my handling so much better and acutaly rode over bumbs better IMO first thing to do on the f-body for sure!!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Remember that there are two methods of relocating. Tunnel mount, or TA relocation bracket. Each as pro's and con's vs. the other. I prefer the TA relocation bracket for a number of reasons including but not limited to noise and brake hop issues. Also that style doesn't need a set of 3 point SFC's to distribute the load from the TA to keep form ripping up the floorpan (seen it, know it, firmly feel that a tunnel mount should only be run with 3 point connectors). There are other reasons too, but I don't want to get into a big book or reasons and reasons why right here and now.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Remember that there are two methods of relocating. Tunnel mount, or TA relocation bracket. Each as pro's and con's vs. the other. I prefer the TA relocation bracket for a number of reasons including but not limited to noise and brake hop issues. Also that style doesn't need a set of 3 point SFC's to distribute the load from the TA to keep form ripping up the floorpan (seen it, know it, firmly feel that a tunnel mount should only be run with 3 point connectors). There are other reasons too, but I don't want to get into a big book or reasons and reasons why right here and now.
Sam can you give links to the two different types, I am cornfused. My car seems to turn fine with the stock arm on the tailshaft.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Not that bad for an auto maybe. I guess the original poster is one of those few as he said he doesn't drag. I race and don't use one. (collects dust in the garage) Think about that.
Really? All the 6 speed guys I know love full length torque arms bc of their quietness. They all comment how rough a tunnel mount is, which is not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about a stock length with a relo cross-member.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Sam can you give links to the two different types, I am cornfused. My car seems to turn fine with the stock arm on the tailshaft.
Plenty of installation pictures of both types on the UMI and BMR websites. Looking at the pictures makes the differences pretty obvious.

FWIW, after reading for a couple of a weeks, I've been scared out of buying a tunnel crossbrace mounted TA. Maybe it would be bearable in a DD with an auto and 3 point SFCs like Sam said, but I already have box frame SFCs and don't want to risk a noisy installation. I'm going to get a full length TA, relocation bracket, and separate DSL, even though it costs more.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does there seem to be a quieter relocation bracket than another?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cals400ex
Does there seem to be a quieter relocation bracket than another?
Unfortunately all the relocation crossmembers are pretty much designed the same way so they all make about the same amount of noise.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There is a big difference between a tunnel mount and relocating a full length on a relocation bracket... The former transmits a lot more vibration and noise since it's a much thinner part of the body (and not meant for torque loads). The latter is actually a transmission crossmember which bolts to a lot beefier part of the car, and is intended for loads from the transmission already.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

the tunnel mounted one that i have will be going, and never coming back! i am looking for something quiet. i am not sure if i will be able to tolerate the vibration from the relocation bracket or not. my car isn't really raced. i will likely go to the track 1 time in 5 years. however, it does put down 500 hp to the tires. i don't run any tire that is too sticky. i leave on the nitto drag radials all the time. but, the car is usually driven less than 500 miles a year. i am wanting a peaceful cruiser but i don't want to blow the tail shaft if i decide to get on it for a bit.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There is a big difference between a tunnel mount and relocating a full length on a relocation bracket... The former transmits a lot more vibration and noise since it's a much thinner part of the body (and not meant for torque loads). The latter is actually a transmission crossmember which bolts to a lot beefier part of the car, and is intended for loads from the transmission already.
What are your thoughts on the de-coupled torque arms, from companies like Unbalanced Engineering? I've been doing a lot of reading on frrax.com and I can't make up my mind on what I want, or really need. Does any other company besides UE even make a de-coupled torque arm?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Not trying to thread jack but since a lot of the sponsors are replying I want to ask a question. I bought a used umi relocation mount from a buddy for my a4. I got the mount and the bolts that go in the TA and the poly bushing for the TA but am I missing a clamshell that goes around the poly TA bushing or do I used the stock one? Im not really for sure how all this goes together because I havent really looked yet. Also would replacing the rubber tranny mount be a good idea to replace when I do the install? If so is there a poly mount I should use?

Quick Reply: Do I really need to relocate the torque off the tail shaft??