Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Simple rear shock swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Simple rear shock swap

I am changing out the stock rear shocks on my 2002 WS6 with Bilsteins. I have just a few simple questions and most of the threads I have searched for involve changing springs and shocks. I am just staying with the stock springs an upgrading only the shocks. I am not doing the job until my shocks get here in about a week.

I'd just like a little input before I jack it up and find I don't have the right tools, etc.

There should be a pass-through bolt and a nut at the top and bottom of the shock. Are these the same size and what size wrench is that?

I do not need to screw around with removing the springs, correct?

Should I Lock-tight (blue) the threads or not? What torque setting?

I am thinking that this should be a simple job from under the car and I sort of feel like an idiot for asking. Yes I know all about properly jacking and supporting the car.

But there is always that one little hitch the first time you do something, so I am asking for input.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull the carpet up in the back so you can access the top nuts. You'll be able to hold the top of the stud if it turns and turn the nut off. Underneath you only have one nut and if you have a impact it'll make that nut easier. Do these one side at a time. With the shock unhooked pull down on the rearend and just pull the spring out. It'll just about fall out on its own. Im not sure what sizes they are and I never used loctite on anything and I just tightened everything up good and tight. The only thing I see about being careful pulling the springs out is not to pinch your fingers between it and the rearend pulling it out by hand. If you need to give it a little boost take a screwdriver and wedge under it and pop it out. Or get a friend to put their foot on the rearend. The fronts, however, are bastards. Good luck
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply, VandykeT/A, from your description of pulling the carpet back and accessing the top it sounds like the instructions I found for changing the shocks and springs will get me there.

Shocks will be here in a couple more days and I have time off the week before Thankgiving, and a fully stocked shop to do it in, so I think it will go fine.

The fronts will wait until Spring. Again, thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand shocks are you using in the back.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No nut size is not the same..

Top nut 17mm and bottom nut is 22mm

Air tools is ur friend!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the little shock tool for 14 bucks from o'reilly's. It holds the stud and allows you to turn the nut without the shock turning. It made the job so easy.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj
What brand shocks are you using in the back.
Bilsteins

Originally Posted by ls1ya
Buy the little shock tool for 14 bucks from o'reilly's. It holds the stud and allows you to turn the nut without the shock turning. It made the job so easy.
Thank's, I will, you can never have too many tools.

Quick Reply: Simple rear shock swap