Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Torque Arm pinion angle question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Torque Arm pinion angle question?

I have a Moser 9" along with Strano Lowering springs w/ the UMI adjustable torque arm tunnel brace mounted. What would be the optimum - degree of pinion angle on the torque arm vs. the drive shaft?

So would the drive shaft need to be at least -3 degrees of angle, but -3 degrees measure from the torque arm?

And can you set the angle with the cars front end jacked up but with the rear end on the ground still w/ the suspension loaded? Or would a drive on lift be the better choice of setting the pinion angle? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great forum for help these days I tell you!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was at speed inc for a tune and had them set mine at -2..guessing it was on a drive on lift
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

For pinion angle we recommend to set or check it with the car level and suspension loaded.

To check or change pinion angle you want to combine the angle of the rear end and the drive shaft. Place the angle finder on the drive shaft and record the reading. If the drive shaft is running down hill from the transmission to the rear end the angle is negative. For this example lets say you get -1 degree reading. Now place the angle finder on the torque arm bracket mounted to the rear end, record this angle. If the rear end is facing downward then this is also a negative degree. For this example lets say it is -2 degrees. If you combine the drive shaft angle with the rear end angle you get -3 degrees... this is your pinion angle.

If you have a drive on lift then this is easiest.

I hope this helps,
Ryan

Quick Reply: UMI Torque Arm pinion angle question?