Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stagg Shocks And Eibach Sportlings Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be wrong but I don't think Bilsteins have ever had a 50/50 on good/bad reviews.

At the price, I'll go with what is proven. These might work for some, I hope they do.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Could be wrong but I don't think Bilsteins have ever had a 50/50 on good/bad reviews.

At the price, I'll go with what is proven. These might work for some, I hope they do.
Yeah you said that before It's funny to me when people online judge something they have never ever used, or seen for that matter. Reviews are a guideline. Basically, don't knock it till you try it.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Without a doubt.. I won't knock these until I see some hard evidence to sway me 100% against them.

I had interest in them... Enough to search. But after research, I was quickly swayed away.... As in within 10 minutes or so.

Sam opened my eyes more than anything.. And I don't buy this, you're a sponsor so you are just trying to get my money bull ****. Man speaks the truth.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
Yeah you said that before It's funny to me when people online judge something they have never ever used, or seen for that matter. Reviews are a guideline. Basically, don't knock it till you try it.
I guess because a lot of us, including myself, tend to follow the guideline "You get what you pay for". I know that's not always the case, but I find it is more often than not. I like to use ebay to get good deals on certain things, but not everything. And definitely not on shocks.

Stagg shocks might be as good as Bilstiens, but I personally don't buy it. Bilstiens build quality is already well proven. They come with good damping characteristics. When you buy Stagg shocks, you take a risk on possibly getting something bad for less money.. in turn spending more money in the long run. Question is do you want to take the risk?

Another thing.. just because someone comes in here and says "I have them and they work well for me", doesn't mean it's the be all end all answer. They could have poor taste in ride quality. One review is hardly enough to come to a conclusion. If there were like 100 reviews.. now we are talking.

Negative Nancy out.. lol
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep you can't go wrong with Bilsteins, but they were also a new product once too. I wouldn't be surprised if these Stagg shocks start becoming more popular once more people try them out.
Correct, however the Bilstein company has been around for a long time, with a solid reputation. Don't forget, it was only about 5-6 weeks ago, somebody came here and posted a question, "Anybody ever heard of Stagg shocks, and are they any good"?

The majority of responses, I seem to recall, were, What are Stagg shocks??
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Banned

Yep I agree with all 3 of you, no argument there. Bilsteins are tried and true, and very affordable. I'm using them on my car and they are great.

Basically in the end all I'm saying is, in the future, if I get another F body, I will give these Stagg shocks a shot. If they're good, great! If they're bad, hell they are only around 130 bucks so no biggie.

I also look up reviews on stuff before I buy it, and search the forums for people who have had experience with that particular product. There is a lot of good info out there, but there is also a lot of bad. I agree reviews/opinions can be very particular. Like the OP - He says they feel great with sportlines. But I know his ride is probably crap compared to what most of us have got. Any spring that's got the car slammed like that won't ride great with ANY shock. It might be ok to him though.

I'm picky though. The Bilstein/BMR spring combo I've got is great so far, I will say the ride is pretty tough, but I haven't broken them in at all, it's about -10 degrees here right now, and I also just did a full aftermarket rear suspension. So I'm sure it will get at least a little better with a few miles.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm picky though. The Bilstein/BMR spring combo I've got is great so far, I will say the ride is pretty tough, but I haven't broken them in at all, it's about -10 degrees here right now, and I also just did a full aftermarket rear suspension. So I'm sure it will get at least a little better with a few miles.
I'm curious as to what there is to break in with suspension parts? Springs can settle a little over time, but if they do that, it'll put you closer to your bump stops, and that certainly won't make the ride better. Shocks lose their ability to damp the spring properly as they become worn, so I don't see those getting any better over time either. I would say if anything, your ride is about as good as it will ever be right now. You might get used to the harshness, but that'd be about it.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

The cold will make the shocks a bit stiffer. The components of the shock will move better when the oil is warm. I'm sure it will ride better in the summer.

What size wheels do you have? You have winter tires on or other kind? Summer tires will freeze up and ride harder.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Thought bilstiens were a N2 filled absorber? No oil in them. So temperature does not really affect this type as bad as a oil filled absorber
Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tillery
Thought bilstiens were a N2 filled absorber? No oil in them. So temperature does not really affect this type as bad as a oil filled absorber
I think they are a monotube shock and have a combination of nitrogen gas and also hydraulic shock oil? This is just what I'm getting from googling.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I just did a google on "stagg shocks". It's pretty entertaining.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

Yeah I didn't mean the shocks really need breaking in, but with brand new springs and the freezing cold temperatures, the ride will be better once it's warmer. Idk if the shocks themselves are affected by the freezing cold, but I figured at least the springs would be since they're just metal coils, seems like they would be much less forgiving and stiffer at -10 degrees lol

I like the way it rides, my suspension is built for performance not ride comfort. To answer your question I've got 17" C6 Z06's in black, with nitto 555R drags on the back and Kumho ecsta ASX on the front. All 4 are 275/40/17.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

As a matter of a fact. Temperature does affect metals. More so at colder(-40°). Gets more brittle.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

sry for the late reply been busy, but here the review, now i did some stuff to help the rubbing on the passenger side as you seen in the pic theres hardly any gap between the wheel and wheel well and when i would hit a bump my tires would rub and it kinda suck becasue i also couldnt have anyone in the car. so what i did was i bought an adj. perch for the passenger so i can try to fix the leaning and so after adjusting it i have no more rubbing and the shock are still doing great no oil leaks. heres some pics of how it sits now. also i just sold my tts2 and just orderd some 18/19 c6 z06 DD. i will post pics soon with the new wheels.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned

Are you missing the front piece of the body kit on purpose? Your car would look great either with the front piece on or without the kit entirely.

I like the side moulding delete I removed mine too. That body line looks so clean going all the way around....
Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Front piece and the spoiler is what doesn't look good on those kits.

Car looks great man.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A while back, we ran some Sportlines on our old 02 WS.6 (sold) and although it looked great, it was just too low. The ride wasnt great (stock shocks) but it was tolerable. It could have been in my head, but once I installed some SFCs, it did seem to help the ride.

One thing I wasnt fond (besides the ride, although the shocks have alot to do with it) of on the Sportlines, is once they settle, half the coils in the front are stacked, and do nothing for you at all.

I took some comparison pics of my buddies stock Hawk, and our WS.6 on Sportlines. Both on 275-40-17s, and ours was 2.25" lower all around:

Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to hear your thoughts on ride quality once you get your wheels in. I've heard the sport lines are terrible. Also like to hear your thoughts on those shocks after a month or so.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a Eibach Pro Kit on my Z28, wish I would have known about these shocks. I would have totally tried them.

I went with Monroe, car drives awesome now. I was able to lower my car and gain better ride quality over my 170k stock parts.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Are you missing the front piece of the body kit on purpose? Your car would look great either with the front piece on or without the kit entirely.

I like the side moulding delete I removed mine too. That body line looks so clean going all the way around....
the front ground effects wernt on the car when i bought it. ive been looking for the front pices since ive bought the car but cant find them anywhere. N yes i deleted the side molding too i looks alot cleaner.

Originally Posted by lemons12
Front piece and the spoiler is what doesn't look good on those kits.

to be honest i never like the rs kit on these cars but i started to grown on them n kinda like it now, but it deff looks off with out the front pices. i used to have a white z28 convertible with the ss hood n spoiler n LOVED the way it look, over all i would perfer the ss look but from pics of removing the rs kit and all the holes i could live with out it. n thxs bro, ur ws6 is SICKK!
Car looks great man.

Quick Reply: Stagg Shocks And Eibach Sportlings Review