Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway Bar End Link Length for Lowered 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Sway Bar End Link Length for Lowered 4th Gen

Yesterday I was under my 2000 B4C swapping an A-arm and noticed that getting my 35mm UMI sway bar to line up with the Energy 2 7/8" end links sucked. Considering my car is lowered about 1.2", I'm not completely surprised. I read a few threads and found that my links may have to be shorter to account for the different geometry.

I've searched, and no definitive answer is given. I figure this could be because the angles of the strut assembly and link itself can be affected by the alignment of the car, namely where the A-arms sit in the k-member. That said, if I have 2 7/8" and stock is 2 5/16", what length do y'all recommend for a 1.2" drop with a UMI 35mm and why?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey meal on wheels.

Do you have it installed yet? Those end links are suitable for the application. I ran out to the shop and checked and those are the correct length.

Our preferred method is to install the bar to the end links first then pivot the bar up and attach the mounts to the frame. Then tighten the end links. If you leave the bar on the frame it's difficult to get the links on. Also, when you install the links, only put the nut on a turn or two, finger tight. This will give you max movement capability.

Let me know if you are able to complete the end link and bar install.

ramey
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hey meal on wheels.

Do you have it installed yet? Those end links are suitable for the application. I ran out to the shop and checked and those are the correct length.

Our preferred method is to install the bar to the end links first then pivot the bar up and attach the mounts to the frame. Then tighten the end links. If you leave the bar on the frame it's difficult to get the links on. Also, when you install the links, only put the nut on a turn or two, finger tight. This will give you max movement capability.

Let me know if you are able to complete the end link and bar install.

ramey
Whoops, I should have mentioned the sway bar is already installed. I got it on by lifting and lowering the a-arms on both sides, but it seemed like it was difficult to get because of the length of the spacer.

I never took a look to see what angle the sway bar links take to the sway bar itself, but I'm pretty sure it's not right due to the fact that my car is lowered...

So y'all have 2 7/8" links on a lowered 4th gen F-body? Have you tried anything else?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have two cars in the design area, both lowered 1.25" with those end links on them.

When I asked Jerry about the installs he said !@#$%^. The problem with changing to a shorter one is the bar rotates and gets too close to the harmonic balancer.

Maneuvering your control arms around then attaching the bar to the car was the best way to do it. Unfortunately it's a tight packaging situation on these cars...

ramey

Quick Reply: Sway Bar End Link Length for Lowered 4th Gen