Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Jegster Bolt On Sub Frame Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jegster Bolt On Sub Frame Problems

I finally started installing my Jegster Bolt On Sub Frame Connectors but didn't get very far. I have to drill 5 holes in the frame for each SFC, but there is no room whatsoever to get even a right angle drill in there without removing my Y pipe (which I refuse to do at this point). So I went ahead and drilled the holes on a bit of an angle, and tried to thread the bolts.

Forget about it! I have to thread the bolt into the frame, and then somehow get a locking washer and nut on the bolt, with only one finger going through the drain hole in the frame! Even if I did get them on the bolt, seems to me like it would just spin and spin because there is no way to get a wrench in there to hold the nut.

Please help, send me some tips if you've installed these same bolt on SFC's before...at this point I'm thinking about getting them welded on, but currently they are powdercoated...would I have to remove the powdercoat in order to get them welded??

Scott
Old 03-15-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
at this point I'm thinking about getting them welded on, but currently they are powdercoated...would I have to remove the powdercoat in order to get them welded??

Scott
In the long run, you will be happier. Just some localized grinding to remove the PC from the SFC and the paint from the frame rail is all that is necessary.

Clean the welded area reall good with a wire brush, then use brake cleaner or even gas to clean the area of dust, grease and dirt. Get a foam brush from Home Depot and a small can of paint and touch up the bare metal.

I did mine 4 years ago, just as I described and I have had no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Scott,
I just read your PM over at CamaroZ28.com, I've never installed Jegster bolt-on SFC but if you want to take a drive up to DeWitt we'll put your car on the lift and see what we can do. Can you post or e-mail me a picture of these SFC's?

Al
Old 03-16-2004, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

A road trip would be awesome! I might take you up on that at some point in the near future. I talked with Jegs yesterday and they said they were able to get 2 fingers in their drain hole in the frame...I definately can not do that now, but I'll probably just dremel the hole a little bigger so that I can, and then it won't be an issue at all because that was the only problem.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow ... you've really confused me, now.

You won't consider welding in that area, but you will drill holes in and grind away a small portion of a structural member?

I just don't see the logic ... sorry ...
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't remove more metal just to get your fingers in there, I'm not sure if you're trying to install them on a lift or on the ground but it shouldn't be hard on a lift.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone got pics of Jegster subframe connectors on an f-body ?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ttt
Ttt
Old 03-18-2004, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Wow ... you've really confused me, now.

You won't consider welding in that area, but you will drill holes in and grind away a small portion of a structural member?

I just don't see the logic ... sorry ...
The fact I didn't want to weld has nothing to do with the area really, just wanted to be able to remove them in the future if I needed too.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
I wouldn't remove more metal just to get your fingers in there, I'm not sure if you're trying to install them on a lift or on the ground but it shouldn't be hard on a lift.
I was doing it on stands, but it was 25" off of the ground...and if you think making the hole a little bit bigger is a bad idea, I'll definately be taking you up on trying it with your help, and your lift. THanks a ton, i'll contact you in the future.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

The fact I didn't want to weld has nothing to do with the area really, just wanted to be able to remove them in the future if I needed too.
Again ... I'm confused.

Why would you want to take them off? If you sell it, you have $100 part new. How much do you think you can get for a used set of SFCs?

Put them on the car and leave them ...
Old 03-18-2004, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for your input I guess...

oh yeah, also have a slight problem of not having a welder and I've called around to a few quality shops and they all want around $200 to weld em...so again, another point for bolt ons...
Old 03-18-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

$200!!!!

I need to move to Jackson and open up a welding shop ....
Old 03-19-2004, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you think making the hole a little bit bigger is a bad idea, I'll definately be taking you up on trying it with your help, and your lift. THanks a ton, i'll contact you in the future.
I wouldn't enlarge it anymore but it's your car, as I said you're welcome to bring it up here to do the install.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:14 AM
TECH Regular

i paid 1 hours labor to a local spped shop and they did it right for me.... 75 bucks welded and even touch up paint on the welds to minimize any chance of rust....
Old 03-19-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
I wouldn't enlarge it anymore but it's your car, as I said you're welcome to bring it up here to do the install.
I'm still planning on it. Right now if we were to get together on a weekend the soonest could be March 27 or 28th. If you want to try it on a week night, most nights are good except tuesdays.

Any chance we can put in a new Poly Tranny mount at the same time?

Thanks again, Scott
Old 03-19-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Scott, By the time you got here on a week night it might be starting to get a little too late, the 27th or the 28th should be fine...I think we can do the tranny mount also.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still planning on it. Right now if we were to get together on a weekend the soonest could be March 27 or 28th. If you want to try it on a week night, most nights are good except tuesdays.

Any chance we can put in a new Poly Tranny mount at the same time?

Thanks again, Scott
For sure you should take Al up on his offer it's the only way to go, most of my suspension mods and headers and clutch were done on Al's lift and it makes it so easy when you can stand up under your car . If you and Al need any help and I'll see if I can get the time to help, I've turned alot of wrenches under that lift.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to, still waiting on consistant weather for the most part, hoping we can do it the weekend of the 27th or 28th...Smokin Joe, what city you in? anywhere near Jackson? We're getting a small group of Gen 4's down and are talking about having some get togethers at our local Performance Parts store...heck, they own 3 themselves.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to, still waiting on consistant weather for the most part, hoping we can do it the weekend of the 27th or 28th...Smokin Joe, what city you in? anywhere near Jackson? We're getting a small group of Gen 4's down and are talking about having some get togethers at our local Performance Parts store...heck, they own 3 themselves.

I hear ya about the weather I'm not taking mine out until it get's better. I live over by Portland and I work in Lansing at GM. I would for sure be into some get togethers and maybe we can pry Al's Hot Rod off the lift and out of the shop . I still have a new T/A to put on and stainless brake lines and line lock and LSX 90mm intake and T/B and some Harlan Sharp roller rockers to put on yet before the SS is ready to get out

Quick Reply: Jegster Bolt On Sub Frame Problems