Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hissing Power Steering Rack (Just replaced)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Sounds like a good place to measure from.

Are you measuring to the ball joint on the end of the tie rod end? I'd expect it to move more than 2", but I could be off.

You can't measure left/right like this because if the "center" place is a little bit off to one side, it will double the error you see at the sides.

With the wheels left, you need to measure to the right and left tie rod end. Then add the measurements. Next, turn the wheels right, repeat the left and right measurements and add them together. If the added measurements equal each other, then your geometry is even side-to-side and you should be able to fix any issues with an alignment.

Are you also taking in to account the position of the steering wheel in all this? Its irrelevant and as sjsingle1 points out, it can be fixed by a good alignment. (Beware - I've had some alignments where they didn't center the steering wheel. Real annoying. I always remind the tech to center the wheel and check it first thing when I get the car back.)

Yes, I was "centering" the wheel. The way I took the measurements was from my mark in the middle of the crossmember, to each ball joint. Here are all the measurements (which explain where my 2" and 2.5" numbers came from)

Steering Wheel Centered
28.75" from Pass Side ball joint to center of car
30" from Driver Side ball joint to center of car

Steering Wheel Full Right
31.25" (+2.5") from Pass Side ball joint to center of car
27.5" (-2.5") from Driver Side ball joint to center of car

Steering Wheel Full Left
26.75" (-2") from Pass Side ball joint to center of car
32" (+2") from Driver Side ball joint to center of car

Now, I am using the center of the steering wheel as my baseline, and I understand this could be off, but I just can't wrap my head around the physics of how I could center out the rack with an alignment and maintain a centered wheel? If the wheel was splined and could be repositioned I'd understand it, but with the way the wheel interfaces with the rack I just don't see how it's possible.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 71firebird400
Well considering the steering column can only interface with the rack in one position the next "closest" position would be 180 degrees one way or the other....or am I wrong in that assumption?

Thanks!
---You are correct, and I think this may be the cause of your problem. However, I strongly suggest you look up my last suggestion first to make sure it's not your problem.
---According to the rack in my car, when starting from the center position the steering wheel should turn 1 & 1/4 rotations to the right or the left. I installed my first steering rack off center, and had more rotation to the right than left. Call me slow, but after a year of not being able to make U-turns the rack started leaking and I then realized what the problem was. D'Oh!

---Your steering rotation issue sounds similar to mine. I suggest unbolting the rack from the steering column, and then adjust. Once you unbolt it, have the steering wheel centered and then (by hand) "turn" the steering rack to the left until you can reconnect them.

---On a less likely note, what year vehicle do you have, and what year is the steering rack for? When I swapped a 98 LS1 into my 97 camaro I had to replace the intermediate steering shaft (I think that's what it's called. It connects the steering rack to the steering column). There was a difference of 45 degrees between the V6 97 shaft and the 98 LS1 shaft, which also screwed up my steering. The part I'm talking about is #12 in the below picture, which is from alldatadiy.com (admins, if I'm not supposed to publicly post stuff like this please let me know)
Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Steering Wheel Full Right
31.25" (+2.5") from Pass Side ball joint to center of car
27.5" (-2.5") from Driver Side ball joint to center of car

Steering Wheel Full Left
26.75" (-2") from Pass Side ball joint to center of car
32" (+2") from Driver Side ball joint to center of car
This is perfect geometry. Your steering wheel is just not centered to your alignment. Unless your wheel was rotated at the rack, a proper alignment will take care of it.

Now, I am using the center of the steering wheel as my baseline, and I understand this could be off,
yep

but I just can't wrap my head around the physics of how I could center out the rack with an alignment and maintain a centered wheel? If the wheel was splined and could be repositioned I'd understand it, but with the way the wheel interfaces with the rack I just don't see how it's possible.
The alignment tech first straightens the wheel. (This will cause your tires to point in or out.) The tech then adjusts the tie rod ends to move the tires back in/out while the steering wheel stays centered.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Teching In

runtwrestlin-

Got the rack through the GM dealer (they came up with the part no) and it matches what Rock Auto was showing (2000 Camaro), so I assume it is the right rack. Thanks for checking though, nothing is out of the question.

Now, as I understand it, the rack can only interface with the steering column in one position. So, if my understanding is correct, the next position it could go would represent a 180 degree turn of either the rack or the steering column. Right now I am looking at 1 turn left, 1.5 turns right. If I repositioned the rack 180 degrees I believe I'd have the same situation, but reversed (1.5 turns left, 1 turn right).

wssix99- Thanks for your perseverance on getting the issue sorted, I genuinely appreciate it. I understand what you're saying, but I still cannot imagine it coming out "right". It seems that the rack will favor one direction or the other, since the steering column can only install to the rack one way. If it was splined (and we could mount the steering column say 45 degrees one direction or the other) then I can see what you're saying would solve the situation. However, it seems that the rack has 2.5 turns total in it. For it to be 'centered' I would need to take it to one side or the other and then go back 1.25 turns. This would result in the steering wheel being cocked at a 45 degree angle, would it not?

Hopefully I'm not overthinking it. Regardless, the car is going to a reputable alignment shop tomorrow and they are going to see if they can figure it out. I will obviously post back with their results, I explained the issue on the phone and they sounded hesitant about being able to correct it but are going to give it a shot.

Also, the hissing sound has diminished significantly each day. I believe the mechanic did not bleed the pump and that may have explained the sound. It is still present, but to a much lesser degree (<20% of what it was originally). If things continue at this rate, it should be gone in the next day or two. I have been driving my other car regularly and have only fired the Camaro up once a day to let it warm up and then I take it around the block.

I'll post back tomorrow after getting back from the alignment shop! Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Save the manuals!

This would result in the steering wheel being cocked at a 45 degree angle, would it not?
Yes. If you drive with the car at a 45 degree angle (rack centered) and the car tracks straight, they may have just cocked the wheel when installing the rack. If this is what happens, then you should go back to your mechanic and ask them about it.

Otherwise, it could be an alignment issue or a combination of both.

Hopefully I'm not overthinking it.
I think you are.

I'd suggest taking the car in to just have the alignment "checked." Tell the techs what's going on and ask for their diagnosis. This service should be free to you.

If they aren't sure if doing the final (paid) alignment will resolve your problems - run away! (And go to another alignment shop or ask them to consult with another tech.)

If they tell you that doing the final (paid) alignment will not resolve your problems, you should be able to go back to your mechanic with the details.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Alignment shop wasn't any help, didn't think they could fix it and said that one of my tie rod ends was loose. Bringing the car to a second alignment shop, they have treated me well in the past and do steering/suspension work as well as alignment so I have asked them to check everything over and see if they can fix all the issues (rack noise, not centered, and the steering pump is a bit louder than before). They seem pretty competent and I probably should have used them to begin with but they are about 20 miles away and I thought the local mechanic could handle this job. Whatever the case may be, I have confidence they'll be able to resolve it since this is their bread and butter type of work (alignment and steering racks).
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Good luck. I'm pretty confident that when you get the steering issue dealt with, the noise will go away. (Since it isn't present when the wheels are off the ground.)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Teching In

I am having same issue with AC Delco reman rack from Rockauto.

From what I remember, steering rack to steering shaft joint only fit one way, and there is no way to screw that up (I can only miss it by 360 degree). My steering wheel was 45 degrees off when I initially set it up, then alignment shot moved tie rod to make the car go straight, so I have little less than one turn to the left, and one and half turn to the right.

I suspect root cause is the badly rebuilt steering rack. I have not called Rockauto to see if they can help to have it replaced, or if I have to contact AD Delco myself. Anyway, this really sucks to be stuck with badly rebuild steering rack.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Picked the car up Friday and the Alignment shop said that without a doubt the rack is mistimed, nothing you can do with the tierods will be able to fix the difference between left and right. Called the original mechanic up and he is going to get the ball rolling on getting a replacement, so hopefully I'll have a new one installed by the end of this week. The noise has continued to get quieter, but is still present. The Alignment shop said they did not know what would be causing the noise, since they bled the pump and that there should be no air in the system. Hoping that the new rack will cure the centering issues as well as the noise, fingers crossed? If not, it has to be the pump but that makes no sense to me that it was silent with the OEM rack and starting making noise as soon as the new rack was installed.

Whatever the case may be, the Alignment shop indicated that they have seen other racks that were assembled wrong but it is usually on lower end stuff (A1 Cardone, etc) and that this was the first Delco rack they've seen that was off. Hopefully the dealer will take care of the part, but I will have the mechanic check (and measure) the new rack to make sure it is operating correctly.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Teching In

98BlueTA- It's got to be a bad rack. I'll keep you posted on what happens with mine, but if you're going to replace it I would check out the replacement (on the bench) before going to the trouble of replacing it. Sounds like there might've been a bad batch if you have the same issue?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Whatever the case may be, the Alignment shop indicated that they have seen other racks that were assembled wrong but it is usually on lower end stuff (A1 Cardone, etc) and that this was the first Delco rack they've seen that was off. Hopefully the dealer will take care of the part, but I will have the mechanic check (and measure) the new rack to make sure it is operating correctly.
In some cases Delco is just a label. It can be hard to tell where their parts are coming from. I wonder if the steering gear is asymetrical and it was not installed with the gear center on the middle of the rack?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Who knows, I'd love to tear it apart and take a look at what is actually wrong with the thing.

Also, the 'hissing' sound is almost gone when the car is cold but gets louder as the car warms up (this is consistent). I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with the fluid? I know this is a long shot, but do we have any experts on power steering fluid? Is it possible that a noncompatible fluid could be causing this issue?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Power steering fluid is basically power steering fluid. There aren't very many subtypes of the stuff. If your mechanic put something in there, they would be so patently stupid that I'd be shocked to find that they had enough skill to turn a wrench and do the rack replacement.

That being said, the properties of any fluid change with temperature. Likewise, dirty power steering fluid also has different properties than clean fluid.

I think the noise is still an indication of something wearing out or amiss, but you may find that a power steering fluid flush eliminates the noise for now and gets you down the road a bit longer.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Just to close the loop on this; the mechanic got another rack a couple weeks ago to swap into the car (sourced thru the GM dealer) and it was the wrong part. The part number on the box was right, but GM screwed up and the rack was for a different car. Anyways, he got a third rack and installed it today. The noise is completely (100%) gone. The problem was the rack all along; the new rack is centered and is silent.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Driving in a straight line must be nice? Thanks for posting back.

Quick Reply: Hissing Power Steering Rack (Just replaced)