Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cutting springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVELLEPOSSE
It will look hella clean when your parked but doo you care more about looks then comfort? It's going to make you feel like your driving a lowrider with every bump I've done this a few times buy the real deal and you can feel the difference. Clean f bodies by the way
If going this was the "end all, be all", then I would think twice about doing it, but it will only be like that for a short time, so I have not qualms with going forward with it. I've read so many posts from so many different people, and the responses you get run the gammit: "Car rides just like it did stock", "Car rides better than it did with aftermarket lowering springs", Car rides like ****", "Car rides no different than it did before I cut the springs", etc. If I wanted a really nice comfortable ride, I would buy a Cadillac. My car is far from a daily, so I don't mind sacrificing some ride quality for a short period of time if it ends up being that way.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just cut em man...nothing to loose. I cut 1 1/2 coil off a set of V6 for my rear (to match ride height of DMS I removed) and it rides fine. I have not cut fronts though. As soon as I get my front drag set up installed I will have a full set of DMS lowering springs for sale w/ less that 15K miles.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut my factory springs on my old LT1 car. Decided to go with 3/4 coil instead of a full coil. That was my mistake. It is difficult to measure out exactly 3/4 coil compared to a full coil so I ended up with front springs at slightly different rates. Bouncing the front end resulted in a rocking effect because one side was stiffer than the other. Now I never noticed it on the street but I never felt right about it. Car seemed to ride just fine... no different than factory other than it looked much better.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has cut springs as well, KYB shocks. Rides great, looks great too.

Keep in mind, DONT USE HEAT when cutting springs and don't cut too much.

One coil in my case got my the desired look I wanted and kept the ride as plush as possible.

I purchased springs for my last car, what a waste of time and money. Just take a coil off your stockers and enjoy the car. If your car sees 50% racing...buy springs.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cut my rears. that 1st coil is stacked already so it only drops about the thickness of the coil, maybe 3/4. after that cut 1/4 coil at a time thats about 1/2 3/4 drop. My car is really light so Ive cut maybe 2 full coils off to get it to sit flush (I run 28" tires)

Quick Reply: cutting springs?