Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rack & Pinon installed turns more to the right than left

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rack & Pinon installed turns more to the right than left

i have a 2000 trans am just installed a rem. rack and pinon from advance auto parts i have not had the car aligned yet. when i set the steering wheel in the middle i can only get 3/4 turn to the left till i hit the lock and can get 1 1/2 turn to the right till i hit the lock. if i turn from lock to lock i can get a little over 2 turns. i compared the new rack with the old one before i returned the core and the length is the same and the angle of input shaft is the same clears my header just fine like the old unit. so will just a alignment get it to turn the same from center to left or right or do i need to set the steering wheel till i get it to turn from center the same distance on both side and then pull the steering wheel off and recenter it and tighten the nut down any help is appreciated.

thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try this with the new rack.

Center new rack and pinion. Turn rack all the way to one side and place that side against a stationary object. Making sure the housing does not move. Turn the rack back all the way to the other side. Measure the gap between the stationary object and the end of the rack. Turn the rack back half the distance. We suggest you make a mark on the pinion and the housing, in case the rack moves during installation.
- Connect new steering shaft to the steering column
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

I got the same thing from an advance auto rack, even took it apart and reset the pinion. its better now but not perfect.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Launching!

how did you reset the pinon and does fluid get all over the place
Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
how did you reset the pinon and does fluid get all over the place
Fluid will probably come out. There is a cap at the bottom, take it off, there are two snap rings i think, one on top one on bottom, seal on top, nut on bottom, take all that **** off, tap the pinion up with a hammer, turn it and push it back in.

There might be some small piece i am forgetting but thats the gist of it. Oh and you should measure and mark where the pinion is so you have some kind of direction on where to go. There is a lock or dowel somewhere that needs to come out for the pinion to come out too. Sorry i dont remember perfectly.

P.S. this is not the best advice i have ever given, but i didnt have the option of returning the rack so i just kinda threw **** at the wall to see what would stick.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Thank you i will give it try this weekend and hope for the best i wish i can return it but its been to long at this point ive had the rack uninstalled for a year and already threw away the receipt oh well. just to clarify you are talking about the input shaft where the steering linkage attaches, that plastic cap around the input shaft pops off and then ill see the snap rings and seal?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Launching!

actually re reading what you wrote i think your talking about the cap thats mounted on front on the rack looks like it twists off
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
actually re reading what you wrote i think your talking about the cap thats mounted on front on the rack looks like it twists off
yes the cap is threaded and it is what sets the preload i think. it has a retainer threaded onto it also. If you dont tighten the cap up enough your car will feel like a honda and the rack gear will have play, if you tighten it too much you wont be able to turn the steering wheel. no info on how tight though so i did it by feel.

I think there is a small snap-ring in there once you remove the cap. There is also a snap ring on top where the steering column attaches.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

i really wish i could be more precise with the info but i dont remember everything exactly. if you google rebuilding steering racks they are all pretty much the same design-wise or close. And you only have to worry about removing the pinion, so you're really only dealing with 5 or 6 small parts all together.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any info or writeups on doing this? Thinking about trying to my replace my own Rack & Pinion...

Quick Reply: Rack & Pinon installed turns more to the right than left