Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for a Spring/Shock/Strut Combo for the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012 | 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Default Looking for a Spring/Shock/Strut Combo for the track

I go to the track alot and still have the decarbon crap and lowering springs on my car. I need help finding a good setup to get me out of the hole quick. I know a friend of mine is running qa1 in the rear and is getting 1.43 60ft times. I just want a good shock/struts/springs for Drag Racing. Thanks for all the help

Part numbers will help to
Old 01-18-2012 | 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
I go to the track alot and still have the decarbon crap and lowering springs on my car. I need help finding a good setup to get me out of the hole quick. I know a friend of mine is running qa1 in the rear and is getting 1.43 60ft times. I just want a good shock/struts/springs for Drag Racing. Thanks for all the help

We have a lot of customers with success using the Strange and the QA1 shocks with Hypercoil and QA1 springs, respectively. Out back, we actually have a lot of customers who use our lowering springs because the spring rate turns out to be a pretty good rear drag spring and the drop isn't so substantial that it dramatically impacts weight transfer. I personally ran the single adjustable QA1 shocks and eventually had them rebuilt into the double adjustables. They worked very well for me.

If you're looking to go single or double, we carry both.

QA1 300lb Spring - 15FB300 (Use with QA1 front shocks)

Hypercoil 300lb Springs - 1814B0300 (Use with Strange front shocks)

QA1 F-Series Single Adj. Front - GS502

QA1 F-Series Single Adj. Rear - TS704

Strange Single Adj. Front

Strange Single Adj. Rear

Let me know if I can help you with anything!
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-18-2012 | 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
We have a lot of customers with success using the Strange and the QA1 shocks with Hypercoil and QA1 springs, respectively. Out back, we actually have a lot of customers who use our lowering springs because the spring rate turns out to be a pretty good rear drag spring and the drop isn't so substantial that it dramatically impacts weight transfer. I personally ran the single adjustable QA1 shocks and eventually had them rebuilt into the double adjustables. They worked very well for me.

If you're looking to go single or double, we carry both.

QA1 300lb Spring - 15FB300 (Use with QA1 front shocks)

Hypercoil 300lb Springs - 1814B0300 (Use with Strange front shocks)

QA1 F-Series Single Adj. Front - GS502

QA1 F-Series Single Adj. Rear - TS704

Strange Single Adj. Front

Strange Single Adj. Rear

Let me know if I can help you with anything!
- Kevin
Thanks Kevin for the info. It helped me out in making a decision. I was wondering what i should do about the rear springs?
Old 01-18-2012 | 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You have a couple options out back. As I said, we have a lot of customers running our lowering spring out back to give their car the complete drop look and the stiffer spring rates can help out on the launch. Eibach also makes a "drag spring" but I have no experience with them and don't know of their ride quality. The other option is to stay stock and remove the isolator to receive the visual drop to go along with the front.

BMR Rear Lowering Spring - SP003
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-18-2012 | 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks Kevin for the info. It helped me out in making a decision. I was wondering what i should do about the rear springs?
You're very welcome, glad I could help.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-18-2012 | 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Nice work Kevin!

In addition to the shock and spring package, you may want to add relocation brackets to help plant the rear tires even harder.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...Path=7_138_108

ramey
Old 01-18-2012 | 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Nice work Kevin!

In addition to the shock and spring package, you may want to add relocation brackets to help plant the rear tires even harder.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...Path=7_138_108

ramey
Thanks, Ramey!

Yes indeed. Drag racing applications should always keep LCA relocations in mind.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-18-2012 | 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Our suggestion would be Strange as they really are the best bang for the buck when it comes to drag racing. If you have an automatic you could get away with S/A but if you have a manual a set of D/A are a must on the front. If D/A are in your budget then it never hurts to purchase them but we understand that isn't always possible. Rears you can do S/A or D/A but like mentioning if you can swing D/A it is nice to have that control.

If you want one of the best shocks on the market then Afco is the way to go. Quality is second to none and ease of use puts them ahead of others on the market. You look at all the real fast cars out there you will see them on a set of Afco's for sure.

For springs from experience Hypercoil or Afco is the way to go. The quality is there and spring rates won't have huge differences even if they are labeled the same like you will see in some lower dollar springs on the market. Afco does give the nice look of chrome springs which if you want your ride to look as good as it performs some times going the extra step never hurts and they are the same price.

For rear springs we suggest doing stock springs on the rear and if you want just a tad lower look than stock do the heater hose mod. A lowered car just doesn't perform as well as a stock ride height vehicle does in most instances.

The front will be ride height adjustable but we suggest not getting to crazy low with it. Spring rate for the front can very based off some different things that are needed to know before deciding.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions just ask.
Old 03-21-2012 | 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't see this mentioned but with any of the aftermarket front shocks can you retain the stock spring type/setup or do you have to go with a matching aftermarket spring for that style shock? Basically could you install a Strange SA with a stock front spring?
Old 03-28-2012 | 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I didn't see this mentioned but with any of the aftermarket front shocks can you retain the stock spring type/setup or do you have to go with a matching aftermarket spring for that style shock? Basically could you install a Strange SA with a stock front spring?
You can indeed run a stock shock up front, you'll just need an adapter to do so.

BMR-SA001 (Pair) $69.95

Thanks,
Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-20-2012 | 12:37 PM
8 Second Club

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what would be the proper spring rate to run on the rear and the front using the QA1 shocks?

Quick Reply: Looking for a Spring/Shock/Strut Combo for the track