Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Putting stainless steel hard brake lines on

Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

i was looking at classic tube for my car, but for ~$300 for stainless pre-bent lines i decided to go with a kit from eastwood. came with a coil of 25' stainless line and an assortment of fittings for around $30. i pulled my old lines out and used them as templates and bent the new ones up to match, then brought the lines to my local garage and had them flare them for me. no need to buy a flaring tool unless i felt like i would be doing this more often
Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have a 2006 gmc sierra 2500hd, and had the oem chinese steel line going to the rear blow.
I purchased the stainless kit from inlinetube for $300 shipped, had it to my door in 2 days in a big box like 6 ft long that was 18"x18". for the long runs of line they put a 180° bend in them so they fit in the shipping box, you simply unbend it by hand it's very easy.
the stainless lines i got for my truck were fairly easy to install, probably because it's a truck and things were somewhat wide open and accessible. the stainless line is easy bendable by hand and not too hard to work into tight spaces, and can be bended back and forth in order to get into position. for the $300 i spent to redo every hard line on my truck and getting it in 2 days, i can't imagine spending any time and money on trying to flare ****, you mess up and you have a leak, F that. truck shop i found nearby replaces hard lines on 2000-2006 gm trucks all the time, because they got the chinese steel brake lines that rust out, and they get all their lines from either inlinetube or classictube. for my truck anyway, all the lines were pre-bent to fit my truck exactly and they pretty much did. with all stainless lines, i never have to worry about them at all even if they get nicked/scratched.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

per original post, no you don't need to do anything special with abs block.
when i did my truck, the abs block is located on frame rail underneath driver door and i pulled it out and it sat on my garage floor for a week until i put the new lines in. i put in a new master, new hard lines everywhere, and new calipers. i used a motive power bleeder to push fluid from the master cylinder (that was bench bled) through the system, had no problems.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think I'd risk using stainless lines.
They're hard and brittle and you can't do a double flare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting stainless steel hard brake lines on