Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need softer suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need softer suspension

When I bought my Z, the previous owner had it set up for autox. It's got an aftermarket torque arm, lcas, subframes, brakes, revalved bilsteins in the front and stock bilsteins in the back with hypercoils all the way around. Stock bumpstops are shot. Now that I own it, it serves a different purpose. Its a pretty friday drive to work, cruise in, and once a year drag strip car. The suspension is BRUTAL, near bone jarring. Obviously I still want it to handle good, but I'm more concerned with ride quality. Is there a better spring for my needs? How about a set of stock ls1 or v6 springs with a half a coil cut out? I still want it lowered, but wouldn't mind gaining a little ride height back. I think currently it's around 1 1/2" drop, and I'd like to have 3/4" or 1" drop from stock. Whatcha think? Thanks!

Last edited by ncsu602; 01-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

SLP Springs would get you that kind of drop. The LCA's, your best bet is to find some stock ones with regular rubber bushings in them. Get the front Bilstein's revalved to stock specs for their shock ($65 per shock to do). Run jeep bump stops in back with out the aluminum spacer.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any other options?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ncsu602
When I bought my Z, the previous owner had it set up for autox. It's got an aftermarket torque arm, lcas, subframes, brakes, revalved bilsteins in the front and stock bilsteins in the back with hypercoils all the way around. Stock bumpstops are shot. Now that I own it, it serves a different purpose. Its a pretty friday drive to work, cruise in, and once a year drag strip car. The suspension is BRUTAL, near bone jarring. Obviously I still want it to handle good, but I'm more concerned with ride quality. Is there a better spring for my needs? How about a set of stock ls1 or v6 springs with a half a coil cut out? I still want it lowered, but wouldn't mind gaining a little ride height back. I think currently it's around 1 1/2" drop, and I'd like to have 3/4" or 1" drop from stock. Whatcha think? Thanks!
The Bilsteins should be extremely close to each other. The Bilstein HDs are slightly firmer than the OEM SLP shocks...however, that is no longer the case if you purchase them today. So I wouldn't worry about the shocks. I would be more concerned with your spring rates. Hypercoil, to my knowledge, doesn't have an off-the-shelf spring for the factory-style shocks, so that means your spring could be a custom rate spring. From the sounds of it, it's far too stiff. It's not the drop that killed your ride quality, it is probably the rates if your shocks are in good working order.

While I never condone altering a factory spring, it will allow you to get the ride height you may be looking for. Keep in mind, cutting a coil from your spring will raise the spring rate. I'm not sure how much it will impact the ride quality because I have never done it, but from what I'm told, it isn't "too bad", which is a description I find too ambiguous. The SLP Eibach springs will lower the car approximately 1-inch.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. As with any used car, I'm not sure of anything except the parts I've put on it. I'll check the shocks when I pull it apart in a few weeks. I'm leaning toward cutting stock springs about 1/2 a coil only because I have a set already that came off the last one I owned. These are taking up space. If I don't like it, I'll probably look at a set of SLP. It's got to be better than what I've got now.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Ahhh, If I may.... If you have what you think you have, the SLP's won't help unless the rear shocks have just given up (which is possible as if the stuff is what you think it's gotta be at least 5-7 years old, and the rear shocks where never ideal for those springs anyway.

In short, Hypercoils are best run on Koni's. If you back the springs down (they use a really stiff rear rate), and put some bumpstops on then Bilstein's will be ok, but never ideal for lowering springs.

Frankly a spring change would help, get the rear rates down, and shocks that are a better match to the springs. Again, Koni's are the ideal, but as you come down to something like my springs, new fresh Bilstein's can work too.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-31-2012, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replys, I'm gonna try a the set of factory springs with bumpstops and I'll report back in a month or two. It may be that long before I get it back on the road.....gotta put cats back on it and figure out why my twin disc is slipping