Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Those that know brake systems! Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Those that know brake systems! Help!!!!

Guys, i bought a complete brake system for my 72 camaro from ABS in California. It consists of 13" drilled and slotted rotors on all four corners, aluminum 4 piston calipers on all four corners, braided steel lines from the original hard lines to the calipers and an 8" power booster. In the rear , I put a tee in and ran 1/8" hard line to the braided steel lines to the calipers.
The problem is a soft peddle, as in take your breath away because you dont think you have brakes, peddle. I only have probably 1 1/2 to 2" before the peddle bottoms out. I have run at least a gallon of brake fluid through the system, so im confident there is no air left in the system. I also had my son push the peddle down and hold it till i took the lid off the master, then had him let off, and there was NO rush of fluid back in to the master, so I think it has a large enough bore for my system. What am i missing ? HELP, PLEASE!!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a shot in the dark but make sure the bleeders on the calipers are pointing up, when they are upside down the system doesnt bleed properly, thats all I can think of off hand
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might need a check valve in the system. Is the master cylinder original? something like this here
Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats good point and WAS a problem i had. When i put the brakes on the first time, i had the fronts on the wrong side. Swapping them around the right way helped , in that i dont have to pump the brakes to get a peddle anymore, but the soft peddle is still there.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS198Z28
you might need a check valve in the system. Is the master cylinder original? something like this here
I agree. Most likely, you car, assuming you correctly typed in "72 Camaro", originally had rear drums, not dics. There are some plumbing differences in the two systems.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the car is a 72 camaro. The brake system is designed to work together. the only thing I didnt change are the factory hard lines.
I called the outfit that sold me the brakes yesterday, and after a trouble shooting session , we came to the conclusion that my brake peddle and mastercylinder rod are not oriented right. The fix , we hope ,is to drill a hole lower on my brake peddle arm to change the geometry of the peddle. I am taking a break right now in the middle of the experiment. I should have some results in an hour or so. I will post up after, to tell if it works or not.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Relocating the booster rod down 1" did the trick. I went from 2+" of dead pedal to less than an inch. Very easy fix to a problem that has been a headache for months.

Quick Reply: Those that know brake systems! Help!!!!