Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

who has actually had both solid and poly mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has actually had both solid and poly mounts?

i know there's a million debates on poly vs. solid motor mounts, and i hate to start another thread on this, but i feel like most people talking down to the solids haven't even run them before. just like people saying you shouldn't drive without a front sway bar

i've had poly motor/trans mounts on my old car and didn't mind the extra vibration at all. i'm about to swap the stock mounts on my new car and am considering going to solids. i'm curios as to how people that have actually had both types of mounts can compare the 2 against each other. is it a night and day difference? i don't mind a little more shaking but i don't want it to rattle my teeth out either. thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It doesn't "rattle your teeth out" perse, but if you take off in first and haven't quite given it enough throttle, then it will vibe pretty good. Other than that, I never notice any vibes or anything out of mine once driving. I love them, and there's no way in hell I'd ever go back to rubber OR poly. It will vibe a bit at idle, but it's nothing you can't change with an idle adjustment if you absolutely hate it.

I have the poly trans mount as well. After reading all the bullshit involved with Energy Suspension's and "to plate or not to plate" I went with Prothane and absolutely love it.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I've had all 3: rubber, polys, and Spohn solids. I'm on my fourth set.....a set of like new stock rubber mounts. The polys added a few vibes, the solids a few more then polys. The thing I hated about the solids was they move the motor up about an inch and make the driver LT header hit the frame and it was near impossible to pull an auto tranny without dropping the k-member. It was a pain with polys but impossible with solids. They are also a bitch to get lined up and give error room which can make the trans crooked in the tunnel. I'm going to eventually go back to polys again because I know I need the motor control over the rubber mounts. I'll never do solids again because of the reasons mentioned above.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

He's right. The Spohns DID make my driver collector rest on the frame. Had to notch it, and it raised my motor.

I am however, trying to talk Founder's into making a set just like the Spohns, but without the 3/4" difference that raises your motor. I always wondered what the hell Spohn went off of when they made those damned things.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i forgot about the issues with pulling the trans with solid mounts. that'd be enough to turn me away from them really. are there any companies out there that make solid mounts that don't raise the motor so you can still pull the tranny without dropping the k-member a little?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

I just bought UMI solids. They do not raise the engine. I currently have Spohn solids in the car. They do raise the engine and pulling the trans is a whorebag. You're better off to drop the K, about 1/3 of the time to drop the K over removing just the trans. Even so I would keep running them except I am trying to fit a blower on top, need all the room I can get so I went with the UMI's. They are going in tonight with a new UMI K. I will take a measurement to double check.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok great. i imagine it'd be much easier to loosen the k-member and drop it a little when removing the trans anyway regardless of which mounts your running. let me know when you confirm the UMI's don't raise the motor from the stock location though. or does anybody else know for sure?

i like the one piece design of the spohn's but i'm just imagining how cramped it is working under the hood now and wondering how raising that extra 3/4'' is going to make some things more of a head ache.

Last edited by dutinsss; 02-21-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
The Scammer Hammer

If it's any help, I talked to Founder's Performance about making a set like the Spohn's, just with a calibrated measuring device, LOL. I LOVE my Spohn's, but yeah, the 3/4" can present a ****-ton of issues, +1 on "*****-bag"

The UMI's WILL NOT raise your motor, as they are designed to fit in the stock pedestals, the Spohn lightweight pedestals, OR the pedestals built into your tubular K.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yep UMI units got where the factory clamshell is. It will sit like stock.

Quick Reply: who has actually had both solid and poly mounts?