Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Mods

I am doing a h/c swap in the future along with a stall. I am looking for some suspension upgrades that will help me put the power to use. What are some must have upgrades suspension wise???
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

upgraded bushings in your rear lower control arms or just new control arms in general. good stick tires. (wider than stock), shocks. and prob a new/ upgraded tranny and torque arm mount. that wil cover you pretty good but you can deff go further if you want
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

I'm thinking about subframe connectors and torque arms?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

If you want power to the ground, you'll probably want...
...to buy wider, stickier tires
...to relocate your torque arm off your tailshaft and upgrade the torque arm
...rear lower control arms
...subframe connectors

In that order. Though if you're looking to put more power down, hopefully you don't still have the 10 bolt if you've got an F-body.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njmaster
I am doing a h/c swap in the future along with a stall. I am looking for some suspension upgrades that will help me put the power to use. What are some must have upgrades suspension wise???
Hey njmaster.

The order of modification is hotly debated on here and admittedly we recommend stuff on a case by case basis.

A good place to start would be subframe connectors and relocation brackets for the lower control arms. Also, as mentioned, getting that torque arm off the tailhousing is a good idea.

Do you have a particular budget in mind?

ramey
Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

I think i will do subframe connectors and the relocation brackets for the lower control arms. Should i do a 2pt or 3pt subframe connector since my car sees more street than strip by far??
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
If you want power to the ground, you'll probably want...
...to buy wider, stickier tires
...to relocate your torque arm off your tailshaft and upgrade the torque arm
...rear lower control arms
...subframe connectors

In that order. Though if you're looking to put more power down, hopefully you don't still have the 10 bolt if you've got an F-body.

I'll agree with this but I don't think they have to be in that order. Stickier tires without upgraded LCAs could cause some pretty dangerous wheel hop
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i will do subframe connectors and the relocation brackets for the lower control arms. Should i do a 2pt or 3pt subframe connector since my car sees more street than strip by far??
Quite honestly, 2 point was the industry standard for years and works great. It's so difficult to measure the actual benefit of 2 vs 3 with any quantifiable measurement we usually just recommend 2 point as a baseline, 3 point if it's in the budget. With that being said, 3 point really ties the whole car together well.

I'd base 2 vs 3 on your budget.

The cool thing about suspension is its additive nature. Some customers buy everything all at once while others buy just what they need in stages until the problem goes away or improvement is where they want.

ramey
Old 02-22-2012, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

For now I think I'm going to go with your 2pt weld in subframe connectors and the bolt in relocation brackets for the lower control arms. I totaled it up and it comes to like $300 after shipping and that is definitely in my budget.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you looking to be drag racing the car often? Is it your daily driver? Does an increase in suspension noise have a big impact in your decision?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

It is my dd for now. I will be taking it to the strip during the summer and will be running both the 1/8 and 1/4 mile. Suspension noise wouldn't bother me too much.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It is my dd for now. I will be taking it to the strip during the summer and will be running both the 1/8 and 1/4 mile. Suspension noise wouldn't bother me too much.
Well two items that will certainly help you get your car working well at the strip - as well as the street - would be lower control arms and relocation brackets. I usually reccomend parts in a particular order.

Subframe connectors - because they help the flexible F-body chassis get some strength and reduce the likelihood of waves forming in the quarter panels.

Lower control arms - will help reduce wheel hop by eliminating the rubber bushings and flexible stamped steel arms.

LCA Relocation - adds control arm angle to give the car a more aggressive bite to the tire. (most effective with a drag radial or a slick)

Torque arm with relocation crossmember - replaces the flimsy stamped steel torque arm and takes it off the transmission tailshaft. This will increase performance at the strip and increase transmission longevity.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. We can certainly put a custom starter package together that should get you a good price and the parts you need for your goals.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Suspension Mods