Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drag Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Suspension Questions

I am updating the suspension on my 97 SS for my 383 Stroker build. I would ultimately like to cut 1.4's to 1.7's at the track. Here is what I have been looking at:

3-Point SFC's
Adjustable LCA's
LCA Relocation Brackets
Crossmember Mounted Adjustable Torque Arm
Rear Drag Sway Bar
32-35mm Front Sway Bar
Adjustable Shocks

I have been looking at UMI, BMR and Spohn so far and it seems like a mix between UMI and Spohn...BMR just doesnt have the parts I want at a good price. However I have a few questions...

As far as the shocks go, what do I need?? Where do I need to focus my attention? I was looking at QA1's but MAN are they expensive! lol.

Where would the QA1 Double Adjustable Shocks BEST benefit me, Front or Back?
Would I be able to get away with the QA1 Single Adjustable Shocks for the other set?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your setup sounds pretty good, but if yur buying the front swaybar simply for drag racing dont waist your money, you will actually hook better by having a weaker front bar or better yet NO front bar, taking it off will shift weight alot better
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is not only a racer, but a show car as well. It has a theme of Primaty Black and Red Accents. I mainly want the sway bar because it looks A LOT nicer and the red will go with my color scheme nicely I think. I know it doesnt really have any benefit at the track, but that is ok with me as long as it doesnt hinder me from getting at LEAST 1.6's in my 60ft.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
I am updating the suspension on my 97 SS for my 383 Stroker build. I would ultimately like to cut 1.4's to 1.7's at the track. Here is what I have been looking at:

3-Point SFC's
Adjustable LCA's
LCA Relocation Brackets
Rear Drag Sway Bar
32-35mm Front Sway Bar
Adjustable Shocks

I have been looking at UMI, BMR and Spohn so far and it seems like a mix between UMI and Spohn...BMR just doesnt have the parts I want at a good price. However I have a few questions...

As far as the shocks go, what do I need?? Where do I need to focus my attention? I was looking at QA1's but MAN are they expensive! lol.

Would I be able to get away with the QA1 Single Adjustable Shocks for the other set?

Hey, good morning.

Thanks for including UMI in your mix.

We routinely specify QA1 DA fronts and SA rears. It's just so nice to have that split tuning option up front. With the SA up front you tend to adjust rebound and let the compression fall where it may (since it's on one adjuster). With DA's up front you can get the front transferring nicely and still control what happens when the nose drops. As for the rear with SA's, you adjust compression accordingly and rebound just kind of follows. As you progress in your drag racing journey, rebound becomes more critical in the rear but really won't derail your 60ft.

There are a ton of shock options out there. Since you mentioned showing your car you probably wouldn't prefer some of the less expensive solutions but just know they exist (think Summit branded parts).

How much tire are you running? There's a huge difference between 1.4 and 1.7 60ft. I saw you had Nitto's in your sig, are you keeping those? Which size and compound?

Don't forget you can always unhook your front bar if you need a few extra hundredths.

ramey
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a good list of parts, but you are including some things that aren't going to help you to your goal. I'm confident we have the parts you need and can set you up with a custom package at a killer price. If you give me a call here at the shop I can get you a list of parts together.

813-986-9302

Thanks,
Kevin

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann

3-Point SFC's
Adjustable LCA's
LCA Relocation Brackets
Rear Drag Sway Bar
32-35mm Front Sway Bar
Adjustable Shocks

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Drag Suspension Questions