Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment with adjustable PHB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment with adjustable PHB?

I'm doing quite a large overhaul on my suspension (new shocks, springs, bushings, ball joints, everything). I'm also going to be putting on an adjustable PHB (because it's going to be a little lowered with stranos). So obviously I'm going to need an alignment.

My question is this: when you take your car (with an adjustable PHB) for an alignment, do you just center the rear end yourself first then get them to just do an alignment on the front, or would you ask them to align all 4 wheels (possibly adjusting the PHB)?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will cost more but they can do it.. try to find a shop that is familiar with our cars.. most of the machines show our thrust angle to be non adjustable but if you have adjustable LCAs and PHB, it is...
Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
It will cost more but they can do it.. try to find a shop that is familiar with our cars.. most of the machines show our thrust angle to be non adjustable but if you have adjustable LCAs and PHB, it is...
Well I don't have adjustable LCAs. I realize that's what you'd really use to adjust the thrust angle. With that in mind, how much effect does just the PHB have on alignment? Is there any value to getting the shop to do it, or should I just measure from the fender to the wheel and do the rear myself?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

is the PHB on car adjustable? you can always lift the rear on a level surface with stands under the axles and adjust it that way.. all you need is a plum bob and a ruler.. just center the rear but it needs to be under load.. measure from the fender edge to the rim edge... 1/8" is the tolerance...
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

is the PHB on car adjustable? you can always lift the rear on a level surface with stands under the axles and adjust it that way.. all you need is a plum bob and a ruler.. just center the rear but it needs to be under load.. measure from the fender edge to the rim edge... 1/8" is the tolerance...
This is the method I used
Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'll just do this.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

just make sure you measure it after you run it for a few miles and everything has settled...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The PHB cannot be "aligned" on an rack. Racks read the wheels, and the PHB moves the body, not the axle. They can't do a better job than you do. With the suspension loaded (on ramps, whatever) just adjust the bar so the body is centered. You can do this before or after your alignment, but might as well before.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The best method for adjusting the panhard bar is to have the car sitting with the suspension loaded. This is best accomplished on a four post lift, but if drive-on ramps are all you have access to, then they will work. Put a nut or some small weight on the end of the string you will tape on the top of the rear fender. This will give you and accurate control and not a string being blown around by the wind. Once you have taped these to the top of the fender hanging over the wheels, measure the distance from the wheel to the string on both sides. If you're car is lowered, you'll probably find it favoring the driver's side of the car. Now, go underneath the car and shorten the panhard bar a little bit and measure the change. You'll want to get both sides to have the same length and you have correctly adjusted it! Hope this helps. It's something you can do easily on your own without a shop.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Alignment with adjustable PHB?