Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear suspension "worn out"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear suspension "worn out"?

I posted a similar thread in the Wheels/Tire section, but maybe this is a more appropriate area for my problem:

I went from a 275/50/15 to the 275/60/15. I wasn't worried about clearance because in most of the pics I've seen with similar wheel set ups they had roughly 3-4 finger clearance between the fender and tire. However, when we lowered my car back to the ground, I have roughly 1.5 finger clearance on the drive side, and about 0.5-1 finger clearance on the passenger side

When driving home, I noticed a ton of rubbing. I got home without any damage to the tires (less than 2 miles), but I am concerned that I am not getting the proper clearance because of worn suspension components (shocks in particular). Am I barking up the right tree? If stock stuff will fix the problem, so be it. But I am also up for advance on aftermarket shock/spring combo's you guys usually run on these big tire set ups in order to get the needed clearance. BTW, the car is not lowered. Any input helps. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

With the jump from the 275/50/15 to the 275/60/15 you gained almost 2.5 inches of overall tire height!! I expect you should probably have some clearance issues!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

lol I was aware of this, but seeing other people's cars with stock suspension having enough clearance led me to believe I should have been in the same boat. I'm thinking of going with some new struts and springs for the back, but just wanted to see if the stock stuff should be good enough to help or if I need some more "purpose built" parts.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok just making sure! I'm not sure what it will take to make that fit. I'd say no matter what suspension you have in there, you may still have clearance issues. Unless you define new limits for your suspension travel.

That being said.. you could have worn overused shocks depending on what you have in there. If you replace the shocks with better ones, I still believe you will have clearance issues.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

I have all stock components. I believe the sag is worse on the passenger rear because of abuse at the track over the years
Old 03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If your car is saggin to the one side its definetly your springs and over the years sag is big and will rub the **** out of your tires. Also doesnt help if its on the drivers side and eat to many big mac's heh. I bought new springs and shocks and did the trick.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Whether or not there is sag is irrellevant to the wheels rubbing. Your suspension compresses to a certain distance. If you rub at full compression, you will always have the problem regardless. You can lessen it with different springs, but I think that's just a bandaid

Quick Reply: Rear suspension "worn out"?