Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear lowering spring help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lowering spring help!!!

Ok, here's my problem and questions. Yesterday, I put my car up in the air to look at my rear springs because here lately, when I hit a dip, my tire scrubs. So I grabbed the spring and I could wiggle it.. Then, with no compression tool or any trouble at all, I pulled the springs out. My questions are: are the springs suppose to wiggle and are the springs suppose to be that easy to come out? And friend of mine told me that my springs have lost tension and that on a new set of springs, I am gonna need a compression device to install them?

Any comment, advice, or help would be greatly appreciated.

I have Eibach lowering springs!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

rear springs will wiggle yes (the stock ones do as well)..... did you reuse the isolators?

if not then throw those back in.... if you threw them away, go buy heater hose and do the heater hose mod

im running heater hose and isolators on my car
Old 03-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply!
So Im guessing that the isolator is the rubber boot at the top of the spring between the car and the spring?

As far as installing the rear springs, are they gonna be as easy as just a slight tilt and pull them out or will a compression tool be required?

Does the heater hose work better than the rubber boot..(lol)
Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drebear34
Thanks for the reply!
So Im guessing that the isolator is the rubber boot at the top of the spring between the car and the spring?
As far as installing the rear springs, are they gonna be as easy as just a slight tilt and pull them out or will a compression tool be required?

Does the heater hose work better than the rubber boot..(lol)
Yes, that's the isolator. And yes, it's just that easy. The rears just about fall out. The install is just as easy. Now the fronts are a different story.
The heater hose can replace the rubber isolator to give you a little more drop. Some replace the isolator with the heater hose on stock springs to give a minor drop
Old 03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Okay, Thanks for the help!!! Gotta get them fixed so I can get some new tires.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the isolators in already, don't swap them for the heater hose mod, that will just make your problem worse. I've read several times on here about Eibach springs sagging, so that seems to be a common problem. You should be able to get most replacement springs in by disconnecting the lower shock mounts in back to drop the axle (support the differential with the jack first and be careful not to yank the brake lines as you lower). This should give you enough clearance for all but the tallest springs in back.

Quick Reply: Rear lowering spring help!!!