Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bad Experience--Energy Suspension TA Bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Experience--Energy Suspension TA Bushing?

Hey everyone,

I am replacing the TA bushing in my M6 Z28 and decided to go with an Energy Suspension mount because my trans mount is already ES. So, I go to put the thing on tonight, and it doesn't fit right. I wasn't even close to getting the clamshell closed and being able to thread the top bolt in on the TA mount. I thought maybe it needed a little cut off of the bushing, but two hours later of cutting then checking it, and it still doesn't fit right. Anyone else have this problem? I'm trying to decide if this is normal and I should go with it, or if there's a problem here and I need to get a Prothane TA bushing.

I ordered part number 3.1111G, so it should be right. Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

I know that we had to use a pry bar to squeeze the clam shell together to get the bolt in.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I just wasn't expecting it to be this tight! I'm more nervous about making sure the top bolt gets threaded in right because it is a fine threaded bolt running into aluminum. I don't want to strip it.

Anyone know what the torque value is for that bolt? Don't want it too loose but don't want it to strip either.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. What I did was use a pry bar to get the clam shell close, but the bolt still wouldn't start. I had to remove the washer off the bolt to get it to start. If you have weight on the rear axel it helps out. I could not get it at all with the axel drooping. I do like it though, I think it's worth the effort. I have check the bolt a number of times to see if it's loose and it hasn't ever been.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Ok, I just wasn't expecting it to be this tight! I'm more nervous about making sure the top bolt gets threaded in right because it is a fine threaded bolt running into aluminum. I don't want to strip it.

Anyone know what the torque value is for that bolt? Don't want it too loose but don't want it to strip either.
Its tight but worth it. Torque...no idea. I just tightened it down. Never had an issue.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, all. I appreciate the replies. I was so frustrated last night after what I thought would be a half hour job turned into a 2+ hour one. I'm gonna go back out there tonight and tighten it down. I got the threads started last night, but left it loose because I wasn't sure if what I had to go through was normal. At least I know now it is. And, Rodinator, I have jackstands under the rear end, so that should be helping it. I can't imagine if the rear wheels were on the ground.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

you have to watch to see if the over hangs are caught in the clam that will make it much harder to get the clam shut and get the bolt in..... that sounds really dirty

Quick Reply: Bad Experience--Energy Suspension TA Bushing?