Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

clack sound when stopping/starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default clack sound when stopping/starting

Just recently changed the lower ball joints/shocks/outer tie rod ends on the front of my camaro. Since then I have had a clack sound whenever I stop, coming from the front driver side of the car. Almost sounds like I can hear it through the floorboard. It's almost like a hammer hitting something metal sound.
It happens whenever I am almost completely stopped, then again when I start moving again. no sounds over bumps, or when bouncing the car. Going to pull the driver's side shock/spring assembly off this weekend to see if I can find anything obvious.

Any ideas what might cause this or where to look?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

make sure when you installed top mount for the shocks/springs that you tightened it down all the way to where there is no gap between the mount and the shock washer on top. This will cause a clank sound every time. easy fix if it's this.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

I'll check that when I pull it off this weekend, though I would think that I would have seen it when I had it on stands a couple of days ago. I looked and the top of the shock was butted against the mount when the suspension was unloaded and hanging full drop.
thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

So no luck.

I pulled the shock assembly off and the nut is tight on top. Sway bar end link looks good too.

Still making the clack sound, appears to be on weight transfer. so when I stop there is a clack, then when the car rocks back another clack.

I looked at the bushings in the front upper and lower control arms too, but couldn't tell if they were bad or not.

any other suggestions. this is driving me nuts.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a thump like this, but mine doesn't come from the front. You can feel it in the floorboard though. I'm convinced it has to do with the torque arm (makes since for the whole weight transfer on stopping and starting). I'm in the process of checking the rod ends and tightening everything down now. I know that's not what you were working on, but it might be worth checking out.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

yeah, I'll get under it this weekend again, gonna put it up on stands and look around since l will be replacing the rag joint anyway. It's got over 200,000 on it now so I'm sure some things are worn out.

Quick Reply: clack sound when stopping/starting