Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock spring length/rate?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock spring length/rate?

Anyone know the stock front spring lenght and rate?
Free load length(or whatever it is called when the spring has no load on it).
99 Camaro SS Convertible, if it makes a difference.

I did search for a good while on this site and various search engines. Search on this site takes days to sort through what you are looking for and tons of stuff that just hold a key word!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I'd like to know as well.. And any suggestions on a budget set of springs at that height or close to it.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ucanthangwme
Anyone know the stock front spring lenght and rate?
Free load length(or whatever it is called when the spring has no load on it).
99 Camaro SS Convertible, if it makes a difference.

I did search for a good while on this site and various search engines. Search on this site takes days to sort through what you are looking for and tons of stuff that just hold a key word!
According to this:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
Stock LS1 V8 springs are 292 lbs/in, don't remember the spring height though, why do you ask?
If you guys are looking for a stock height spring the only one made specifically for our cars are the 1LE GM springs that came on 1LE packaged cars, so you would have to find used ones (and honestly I wouldn't trust buying something like that used, no real way of telling if they are real or not).
Now if you are looking for a handling/ride upgrade while keeping stock height forget springs, look into good shocks (easily the biggest difference you can make to the suspension) and good matching set of swaybars (32mm front/19mm rear, or 35mm front /22mm rear).
Check out stranoparts.com
Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I'm looking to get my car back to stock height. I bought it lowered already. I hate it! Scrapes all the time. I have to do the speed limits or less, otherwise I'll rip the bottom off my car!
I will be changing out the shocks as well, but wanted to make sure I get some springs to match.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just go to Summit racing and buy some New Springs.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 2000 SS. Here is what I found.

MOOG stock height springs:

Front: #60116, spring rate 290, free height 15.21.
Rear: #CC635, spring rate 104, free height 15.25.

I'm looking myself because my car has about 100,000 miles on it and all 4 corners set at a different height. I want to level it back out.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Ufortunately, I don't have any good data from which to ask this question. My car is '99 w/ 156k miles. Under heavy braking, the nose dives quite a bit. Is that typical of the OEM springs? My car mostly serves as a HPDE/track day type car, and I'd like to correct the diving. I don't know if a substantial part of 'the dive' is due to the OEM springs being worn out, or being soft to begin with. Without know that, I don't have a clue as to what spring rate I should be looking at in a replacement spring.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cscott1
Ufortunately, I don't have any good data from which to ask this question. My car is '99 w/ 156k miles. Under heavy braking, the nose dives quite a bit. Is that typical of the OEM springs? My car mostly serves as a HPDE/track day type car, and I'd like to correct the diving. I don't know if a substantial part of 'the dive' is due to the OEM springs being worn out, or being soft to begin with. Without know that, I don't have a clue as to what spring rate I should be looking at in a replacement spring.
dive could be just as much from your shocks as from springs, if EITHER shocks or springs are still stock at that mileage they are in need of replacing.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cscott1
Good Shocks/Springs/swaybars will eliminate the dive. Stay away from drag shocks(QA1, Afco, Strange, Viking) and drag parts as those are only going to hurt your cause.
Something like this is what you are looking for:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
Whatever you do don't cheap out on shocks, those will make the biggest difference out of anything suspension-wise.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Good Shocks/Springs/swaybars will eliminate the dive. Stay away from drag shocks(QA1, Afco, Strange, Viking) and drag parts as those are only going to hurt your cause.
Whatever you do don't cheap out on shocks, those will make the biggest difference out of anything suspension-wise.
Thank you.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
^^^ +1. This is a top notch handling setup proven time and time again.

I went with the exact same setup as the link above, however the budget was tight at the time so I went with Bilstein shocks. The ride on Bilsteins is much firmer than the crappy stock shocks, however it doesn't feel as "tight" as a Koni setup.

With all the time I spend on track now, I would definitely do the Koni SA's if I had it all to do over again.

In my humble opinion, these cars handle like crap in stock trim. If you knock out the three mods noted above I think you'll be quite pleased with the car's handling ability on track. I've had plenty of guys with "handling-oriented" cars ride with me on track and almost all of them comment on how well my car handles.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Any reason not to use the HP7 package. Seems like it might be a bit of improvement over the HP6.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock spring length/rate?