Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein shocks with stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilstein shocks with stock springs

Haven't seen this addressed on LS1howto and the sticky in this forum doesn't work for me. Most front shock installs are done with lowering springs so there is no need to reuse the lower perch from the stock Delphis. I expect I must remove this from the stock shock and put it on the Bilstein where it stops at the lip around the housing. My Bilsteins were delivered last night so I didn't take a lot of time to consider this - but that piece seems very snug on my stock shocks (perhaps fused/rusted together). Is there a method to getting this perch off or is this just a BFH deal? Thanks Kevin
Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pb blaster and use a rubber mallet working your way around it, not a bfh.

Let me know if you can find the torque specs for the upper control arm castle nut, the four top bolts and nuts, and the lower shock bolts.

Im in the process now of bilstiens and stock shocks.

I absolutely got raped by taking my originals to an alignment shop to get the rusted top nut off. Dude charged me 60 bux a side to swap over the new shocks!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used a normal hamer and gave the seat some light taps all the way around. Mine looked pretty rusted but tapped off fairly easily. then i just grinded off the rust painted them and tapped them onto the bilsteins.

I didnt use any torque specs on any of the bolts just make sure theyre on there nice and tight and you shouldnt have an issue. I also highly recommend getting rid of the torx head bolts for some hex head. They can easily be matched up and home depot or lowes.

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks with stock springs