Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS/Brake problem, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/Brake problem, help!!!

Hello everyone! I have a 2000 Trans Am with the stock braking system, wheels, stock style rotors, no performance upgrades to the braking system at all. A while back I got the ABS Inop, TCS off, Brake lights on the dash, but the car stopped fine so I didn't think much of it. Well, it has been parked for sometime now, and the left front caliper developed a leak, so I replaced it along with the hyrdraulic hose, and bled the system numerous times. The pedal is still so soft that it goes all the way to the floor, and the left front caliper sticks after pressing the brake pedal (not all the way, but it is hanging up, and this is the second caliper). I'm running out of ideas on what can be causing this, and would love to get the car on the road again. I do not have a scanner for ABS codes though. I hear the EBCM is a possible problem? Perhaps the master cylinder? It's weird that only one wheel hangs up. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Teching In

No ideas? I have read that perhaps activating the ABS module then re-bleeding may help, maybe air got in the ABS block when the caliper was leaking and ran the fluid down too low?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Well, in the event others have a similar problem, an ABS code scanner returned "electronic control module malfunction". Guess it's a new EBCM time! Does anyone know if the 98-02 Camaro EBCM is compatible with the 98-02 Trans Ams?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a 99 SS yesterday and the ABS Inop/Brake/ASR lights came on while driving the car home. I thought maybe I got something wet when I cleaned under the hood, but after calling the seller asking if it ever happened to him, he explained that since it has stock front size tires and 305/40/18 Drag radials on the back, the ABS module does not function properly. You can rear more here..... https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...sr-lights.html

If your tires are stock, then disregard this.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply Autoguy. Yes, my tires are stock size
Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Ok, I replaced the EBCM and all is well again. I just wanted to follow up with the resolution of my problem
Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrmahone
Ok, I replaced the EBCM and all is well again. I just wanted to follow up with the resolution of my problem
good to see you got it solved. i was going to suggest checking the pins on the other caliper. i just had a honda in that was sitting for awhile.......it had siezed caliper pins. cleaned them, relubed, and all was well.

Quick Reply: ABS/Brake problem, help!!!