Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spohn Torque Arm

I just picked up a Spohn torque arm, the version with all solid Heim joints and mounting lugs (no poly). I got it used so I didn't get the directions.

Anyway it's in the car and the launch definately feels better, although I havn't had the opportunity to really dial in the pinion angle so for now I'm refraining from really hammering it. But I do have a few ?'s about setup.

First, on the front mount there is a shackle that connects from the Heim joint to the crossmember. Should those bolts be tightened down, or should some play be left in them for movement?

Second, are 4 8mm bolts REALLY supposed to hold the crossmember in there? Seems kinda hokey to have such a beefy part and hold it in with those little bolts. I plan on doing something with that situation no matter what for my own peace of mind but for now I'd like to know.

Third, under moderate acceleration it REALLY bangs on the 1-2 shift, and by bangs I mean a loud "BANG" and change jumps in my cupholder. I have a built trans that shifts 1-2 very hard, and I realize it's a solid mount torque arm, but is that normal? I don't mind the noise or vibration one bit as long as nothing is going to break.

Any feedback on this is appreciated
Old 03-23-2004, 10:03 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I have the same T/A and i felt the same about the skimpy bolts but you have to remember it has no pressure on it when you get on it. And mine has the poly joint and it makes noise so your hime joint is going to be worst. And all my bolts are tight make sure yours are to.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply

Yeah, I know it's going to be noisey (that's why the previous owner sold it, too loud with a slightly whiney 12 bolt) but that doesn't matter to me.

Currently I've got grade 8 bolts (actually GM caliper bolts ) with loctite holding it in. Even though the force goes up, I'm still a little scared like that, particularly if I caught it on a speed bump or something, it would rip off too easy. I'd rather damage the floorpan some than rip the entire rear suspension out of the car and break the driveshaft. I could imagine the damage it would cause hitting an unexpected NJ pothole at 50mph.

Still, for the guys with the Heim joint style front bushing, do I leave the shackle loose to rotate freely forwards and backwards, or torque them down?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I tightened mine a bit, and it solved the clunking.. ALSO, be sure to fill the grease fittings on both front parts.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got the same clunk on my 1-2 shifts in a M6. What I was told is that it is the loading and unloading of the drivetrain, which is magnified with the new TA. That is why I never heard it with the stock TA. Basically, you can think of it this way, all the noises that go on in the drivetrain and from road will be magnified a lot with this type of TA.

As far as shackle I can't help you there, I have the poly mount
Old 03-25-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Try calling Steve Spohn directly and ask him to sell you the front poly mount. He will also send you very detailed installation directions.
Spohn is a LS1Tech sponser, so for his telephone or email address, click on his logo on the right side of this page.===>

Quick Reply: Spohn Torque Arm