Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front lower A-Arm removal help.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front lower A-Arm removal help.

I decided to do a major overhaul of the suspension on my 99. After taking most of the front end apart I have found that ll the joints are shot. Additionally all the bushing are beyond dry rot. The problem I have is that I have no idea how to remove the rear bolt on the lower control arm. I was able to remove the nut off the bottom but I am unable to even have the bolt budge at all. Since it is in a tight corner I cannot get in there with a cutoff wheel. I have tried a few made for metal sawz-all blades and have had no luck. Short of a cutting torch does anyone have any suggestions?

Additionally has any one painter their's with Rust-o-leum? I have heard good things about it but was wondering if anyone has had any luck.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by techls1
I decided to do a major overhaul of the suspension on my 99. After taking most of the front end apart I have found that ll the joints are shot. Additionally all the bushing are beyond dry rot. The problem I have is that I have no idea how to remove the rear bolt on the lower control arm. I was able to remove the nut off the bottom but I am unable to even have the bolt budge at all. Since it is in a tight corner I cannot get in there with a cutoff wheel. I have tried a few made for metal sawz-all blades and have had no luck. Short of a cutting torch does anyone have any suggestions?

Additionally has any one painter their's with Rust-o-leum? I have heard good things about it but was wondering if anyone has had any luck.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Try raising the ball joint end of the arm, it's possible the bolt in the rear is binding because the bushing is at a slight angle in the k-member slot. I did this and found the bolt could be removed by fingertip. Note, this is on a 180k miles 2000 B4C! Once you raise the ball joint end to almost level, set a screw driver or chisel on it and "massage" it a bit.

I used Rustoleum on the arms once they were out, they're certainly not scratch proof, LOL! Once I touched up the places it was scratched on installation, it looked great. Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front lower A-Arm removal help.