Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

upper control arm and bushing after lowering car.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper control arm and bushing after lowering car.

Hey all...I've lowered my car a few inches in the front and the way the upper control arm is angled puts the upper joint at a sharp angle. What can I do to get that back or closer to stock besides the obvious raising the car ride height back up. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 AM
tc3
On The Tree

Pic? Someone used to offer offset bushings but there are adj tubular control arms
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Launching!

OK here is a pic but there is no load on the suspension so you can't see what I'm trying to explain. However, the red arrow shows where there is a sharp angle......the blue arrow.....what is this part called? My mind is drawing a blank. Also, was thinking if this part was shorter it would lower the upper control arm thus reducing that sharp angle on the ball joint.
Attached Thumbnails upper control arm and bushing after lowering car.-airstrutinstalled.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, your better off sticking with the stock upper control arms if you're lowered very much. The stock arms give you the most clearance/compression travel. I'd also stick with the stock sealed type upper ball joints, they'll have more clearance so there a lot less likely to get the boots damaged from getting pinched. If yours need to be replaced go with either RAYBESTOS Part # 5001087 or ACDELCO Part # 45D0087 .
RockAuto carries both of them.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Launching!

The red arrow isn't a bushing, it's the upper ball joint boot brah, the control arm bushings go where the bolts mate on each side of the "C" shape.

The blue arrow is pointing to the "spindle", as a whole part it's what holds everything together.. upper/lower ca's brakes tie rods.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

Sam Strano used to sell offset bushings for the uppers. But the was to help with alignment. Aftermarket upper A arms are made to help correct this condition. Hopefully one will chime in soon.

Quick Reply: upper control arm and bushing after lowering car.