Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Trying to replace front lower A-Arm Bushings... Failing plz help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trying to replace front lower A-Arm Bushings... Failing plz help!!!

trying to replace the front lower control arm bushings on my 00 ss and i'm having trouble with figuring out how to install the new ones, has anyone ever done it? i bought the bushings from energy suspension.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump....anybody done this and have some input?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's been a while since I did mine but if I remember correctly I used a nut and bolt thru the old bushing and heated the stock bushing housing with a small propane torch and wiggled the bolt back and forth while heating it until I got the rubber out and then just cleaned it up a bit and installed the Poly parts. Most of the upper and lower control bushings you will need to re-use the old metal parts from the bushings.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1121
It's been a while since I did mine but if I remember correctly I used a nut and bolt thru the old bushing and heated the stock bushing housing with a small propane torch and wiggled the bolt back and forth while heating it until I got the rubber out and then just cleaned it up a bit and installed the Poly parts. Most of the upper and lower control bushings you will need to re-use the old metal parts from the bushings.
i got the old ones out, the bushing i'm having trouble with is the one that goes up into the k member, one goes left to right and one goes up and down
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this isn"t helpful, but I ended up spending $20 to have everything pressed out and the new back in. After I screwed around with getting the ball joint out on my drivers side. I said to hell with it all. Saved time and heartache. Getting the passenger side done today.

P.S. I am a cheap ***. I do every bit of work on my car. However this was the best $20 ever spent.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Teching In

I usually rent a ball joint press from a parts house(The c-clamp style).Put the bushings in the freezer over night,then use an impact gun to run them in.

Quick Reply: Trying to replace front lower A-Arm Bushings... Failing plz help!!!