Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

PHB Adjustment/Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Banned Scammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PHB Adjustment/Install

Alright so i just got a sweet deal on a used Double Adjustable UMI PHB off here and i believe i will be installing it tomorrow.

I have a few questions:

1) how do i grease the polybushing? any specific ways or instructitons?
2) how long will this take? any tips or walk throughs? ive searched but havent found any yet
3)Just wondering how hard is it to adjust it correctly? and what are the signs too look for when i dont have it adjusted correctly
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned Scammer

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
The best method for adjusting the panhard bar is to have the car sitting with the suspension loaded. This is best accomplished on a four post lift, but if drive-on ramps are all you have access to, then they will work. Put a nut or some small weight on the end of the string you will tape on the top of the rear fender. This will give you and accurate control and not a string being blown around by the wind. Once you have taped these to the top of the fender hanging over the wheels, measure the distance from the wheel to the string on both sides. If you're car is lowered, you'll probably find it favoring the driver's side of the car. Now, go underneath the car and shorten the panhard bar a little bit and measure the change. You'll want to get both sides to have the same length and you have correctly adjusted it! Hope this helps. It's something you can do easily on your own without a shop.
- Kevin
found this. would this work good?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats how you do it
Old 03-30-2012, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, should have zerk fittings to grease and swap should take no more than 15min
Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the UMI.

When installing, make sure the chassis and diff flanges are clean. Grease the face of the bushing with synthetic chassis grease (unless you have any Formula 5 or equivalent lying around - that little tube of sticky stuff that comes with poly bushings). Once installed, give the grease fittings a pump or so.

Proper lube = no squeaks.

ramey

Originally Posted by BashamWS6
Alright so i just got a sweet deal on a used Double Adjustable UMI PHB off here and i believe i will be installing it tomorrow.

I have a few questions:

1) how do i grease the polybushing? any specific ways or instructitons?
2) how long will this take? any tips or walk throughs? ive searched but havent found any yet
3)Just wondering how hard is it to adjust it correctly? and what are the signs too look for when i dont have it adjusted correctly
Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Please ignore my use of "you're" in place of "your"...I feel like an idiot now. haha Hope it helped.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A for sure way to do it is when you have an alignment done. If you lowered your car that is. Have the guys doing the alignment check the rear. They will tell you it can't be done because there are no adjustable pieces in the back. If you explain to them what you want done they can do it for you. I checked mine and my tires are even on both sides in the back. Their measurement at the alignment shop is probably a little more accurate since they put my car in the blocks rather than guessing with the string and weight measure. If you're not getting aligned though the string method works fine.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Not meaning to hijack, I have a non adj phi, and I too was wondering how to properly install them. I don't have ramps and I believe the rear is supposed to be "loaded" so is it ok to use the jack on the rear diff? As for the alignment issue, would I have any, being that it's non adj? Lemme rephrase that...im going to get an alignment done cause I plan on installing new rear shocks, lca, lcarb's, and the phb altogether. If I took it to an alignment shop, would they tell me they can't do it due to "no adjustable pieces" in the rear as metalmilitia606 stated above?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JasonLS1noob
Not meaning to hijack, I have a non adj phi, and I too was wondering how to properly install them. I don't have ramps and I believe the rear is supposed to be "loaded" so is it ok to use the jack on the rear diff? As for the alignment issue, would I have any, being that it's non adj? Lemme rephrase that...im going to get an alignment done cause I plan on installing new rear shocks, lca, lcarb's, and the phb altogether. If I took it to an alignment shop, would they tell me they can't do it due to "no adjustable pieces" in the rear as metalmilitia606 stated above?
If you have jack stands, put them under the axle and set the car down on those. Or jack the car up and put some blocks (2x12x12) under the tires and set the car down on them. The stock panhard bar is non-adj. and I would think you would be able to get an alignment with stock parts, no? Are any of these parts you are putting on adjustable? Are you lowering the car? If not, I don't think you need an alignment unless you have existing issues with driveability. Those parts don't automatically mean you need an alignment.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 PM
FormerVendor

Our non-adjustable PHB is based on GM's center to center dimension and should not require an alignment.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i need to adjust mine as well. my passenger side is about a half inch lower than than the driver side. just installed recently. but my car sat un even before. so idk
Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Banned Scammer

Awesome thanks for the advice!!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
If you have jack stands, put them under the axle and set the car down on those. Or jack the car up and put some blocks (2x12x12) under the tires and set the car down on them. The stock panhard bar is non-adj. and I would think you would be able to get an alignment with stock parts, no? Are any of these parts you are putting on adjustable? Are you lowering the car? If not, I don't think you need an alignment unless you have existing issues with driveability. Those parts don't automatically mean you need an alignment.
Thx for the info. To answer the questions, no none of them are adjustable. The car is already lowered, sitting on strano's. I blew my rear driver side shock so I was going to install everything all together when i get the shocks in but I've never installed lca, lcarb, or a Phb before.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Banned Scammer

Lcas are piece of cake. I believe the same for phb and lcarbs too.
Shocks and springs are bitches and i never do those my self.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM
BashamWS6 Troll Account

This seems like a nice trick! Sub'd
Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome... I was needing to adjust mine and had no idea how. And I did the heater hose mod on my z28 and it was that bad to pull out the springs. But hey I used alot of red necking
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Our non-adjustable PHB is based on GM's center to center dimension and should not require an alignment.
that is kinda the problem, cause that is one of the things that GM goofed on. my rear is almost an inch off with a UMI solid PHB, so i switched to an adjustable one. the alignment shop had no problem adjusting it. now my rear sits dead center. you can really tell the difference especially since i threw some 1" spacers on stock offset (56nm) wheels. looks really good
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

OP and his troll account are banned

Quick Reply: PHB Adjustment/Install