Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car acts erratic on strong brakings. Does not seem to stop on all fours evenly.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Car acts erratic on strong brakings. Does not seem to stop on all fours evenly.

Any recommendations on how to test for even pressures throughout the whole system?

I upgraded the front brakes to Ls1 types....I also have new rotors in the rear.

When I have to hit it hard or on a tight enough curve the car gets really sloppy....almost as if the calipers are not all working evenly.

What is a good test for this? I did the bleeding myself it should all be fine...but i am considering redoing I guess....but wanted to ask for other techniques. Was thinking about maybe going to a shop....but not sure if they would do more than I can do...so its a debate right now.

I can rebleed it myself if that's all they can do.
Old 04-16-2012 | 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not a suspension expert, but that sounds like when your braking on a curve the car is becoming unsettled. If you have no braking issues in a straight line, then I'd look for suspension issues. Maybe worn stock shocks?
Old 04-17-2012 | 12:02 AM
Banned

Sometimes my ABS light will come on when braking and the pedal will vibrate and I have different pressures going to each brake. Its weird....car kind of walks around. The TCS light also comes on.

I'm removing my ABS system completely and disconnecting my TCS, its just a pain in the ***, especially the older cars like mine.

Old 04-17-2012 | 03:01 AM
Launching!

Sounds like air in the lines to me with the pedal issues your having. Do yourself a favor and order some speed bleeders if u want to make sure.
Old 04-21-2012 | 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

If you have bad or weak shocks, braking WILL be affected. What shocks do you have an how many miles on them?

As for the ABS light, you need to get the ABS system scanned, and have the shop provide you with the flowchart printout pointing out what the issues may be. Could be a wheel speed sensor, ABS motor pack, etc.

May also want to try re-bleeding and ensure all the wheel speed sensors are connected and no wire abrasions...
Old 04-22-2012 | 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by LS6427
Sometimes my ABS light will come on when braking and the pedal will vibrate and I have different pressures going to each brake. Its weird....car kind of walks around. The TCS light also comes on.

I'm removing my ABS system completely and disconnecting my TCS, its just a pain in the ***, especially the older cars like mine.

After I dropped my engine out and disconnected all of my brake lines I'm having the same problem. It's kinda scary when stopping from high speeds and you can feel the car walking around.
Old 04-23-2012 | 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like air in the lines.

I'm going to rebleed mine real soon. I've got speed bleeders already.

Whats our typical order again? Farthest to closest? (passeng. rear->driver rear->passng front->driver front. ?
Or does it not matter?
Old 04-23-2012 | 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes you have the order correct. RR-RL-FR-FL
Old 04-23-2012 | 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

There's a long procedure listed in AllData. I will see if I can get a copy of it on here tomorrow. It lists how to bleed all the ABS lines if you have that.

Also it has a two procedures, one using a pressure bleeder and one not. I wish I had a pressure bleeder.