Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shocks

Gentlemen...

I have an 01 F Body that is in need of a complete suspension overhaul. Part of that job will be shocks. I am trying to decide between the KYB Excel-G and the KYB Gas-A-Just. My understanding is, the Gas-A_Just is basically a high pressure version of the Excel-G. Does anyone have any information or experience with these two? I know...I know. There are a lot better shocks out there than these. But honestly...the car is a street driven car and that's it. It may be mildly lowered in the future and I'm going to use an adjustable panhard rod just so I have that option. But as far as shocks are concerned, I want a decent ride and I want the car to feel good in a corner. But it isn't...nor ever will be...a race car. I just need a good quality shock that is a slight upgrade from stock.

Thanks for your help folks!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The thing many people don't get (and I can't really blame them, if you have never been on a good shock to compare, you couldn't really know) is that it doesn't matter if its just a street car, or you never race, the shock doesn't know either way. You can be babying the car cruising and feel a huge difference with good dampening (car will not only ride drastically better, but will feel way more stable, planted, composed, tie together and solid).
If budget doesn't allow for a couple hundred extra bucks right now for something like atleast Bilstiens just save for longer, or skip buying something else. If you are planning to sell the car soon then just keep the shitty stockers on there.
Ill keep saying this like a broken record, Ive thrown a ton of suspension on my car over the years (shocks, springs, swaybars, watts link, SFCs, STB, rotojoint LCA, full length torque arm) each individually to see the difference, and hands down shocks (koni 4/3s) were by far the biggest difference, and best money spent. And not just for performance, but comfort and drive ability. You notice it every second you drive.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the above. I had kyb shocks on a previous car. They were okay at best. Bilsteins are occupying the SS and they are so much better (night and day) than the kyb shocks ever were. FYI, the kyb shocks were the AGX shocks. Again night and day difference.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the thread on the BMR shock spring sale.great prices.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think for my use, the KYB Gas-a-Just will be much better than the KYB AGX. I may think about the Bilsteins...but those too are a much higher pressure than the Gas-a-Just and I'm not sure they won't be too harsh for my purposes. Bilstein's are 360 psi compared to 280 for the KYB. Cost is an issue...and it has nothing to do with saving for it. It has to do with value. But your input is very much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

With the bilsteins, the ss is the best riding f body that I have rode in to date. Disclaimer....I have yet to ride in a car with koni shocks.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

I just put in BMR springs and KYB Gas-A-Justs and couldn't be happier. Car rides and handles great.

The "G" is a twin tube and the Gas-A-Just is a mono tube (better).

Jon

Quick Reply: Shocks