Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hard Line Brake Question???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard Line Brake Question???

Hi, I am looking for a way to replace the stock hard lines on my car with custom flexible ones. I have heard of some people making their own and some have gotten some made for them.

If you have made your own, could you tell me exactly what tubing you bought and fitting etc? I have flared many fittings and put together AN hoses so I might be able to do it my self.

If you had them made could you tell me where you ordered them from?

Any info would be appreciated. I have been searching for answers to this and I am having trouble putting the pieces together.

Also my car is 97 Camaro Z28. It had four channel but now is 3 channel. Proportioning valve from a 89 Camaro Z28. 6.0l swap blah blah...
Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Teching In

anyone???
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

not sure why you would flex lines in lieu of hard lines.
i had cracked hard lines and replaced them withe a stainless set from customtube

tony
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just buy steel braided lines....Strano has nice ones they sell. Cheap. I think I paid $125 including new performance fluid.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Just buy steel braided lines....Strano has nice ones they sell. Cheap. I think I paid $125 including new performance fluid.

I think you're talking about the lines from the frame to the caliper. He's talking about the hard lines. If you can get all those for $125, I'm going to be seriously impressed!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my hard lines with stainless steel from classic tube. Only problem I had was the fitting that was wrong but they replaced it on there cost. Also they used rubber lines to hooked up to the abs block so had them make braided lines for that.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Use of braided line for the entire run will result in spongy pedal...The hose expands and acts as an accumulator...Hard line it.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Hard Line > Stainless Steel hose
Stainless Steel hose > Rubber hose
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

I kind of ended up butchering some of the lines so I was wondering if there was an easier alternative for running lines. It looks like I will be replacing them with stainless steel lines.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Classic Tubes is the best alternative I know of. I would not use the generic parts house brake lines...they are very prone to rust and they are not seamless and I would be nervous about how well they would hold up to the rigors of brake pressures.

This is your life your talking about...and the life of others as well. Don't cut any corners here or take the cheap way out. It could cost you dearly in the end.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Ok one more thing. Should I go bigger with 5/16 tubing or stick with 3/16 tubing? I think the stock size is 3/16 and this is the size most people are running.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

I emailed Classictubes today regarding production of stainless-steel OEM design hardline brake lines for my 94 T/A. I'm doing a full resto so I wanted to address old brake lines while I am at it. I will let you know what my results are. The GM PN's are out of production so finding a way to obtain new pre-bent hardlines has been more or less of a PITA.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MustangKilla
Ok one more thing. Should I go bigger with 5/16 tubing or stick with 3/16 tubing? I think the stock size is 3/16 and this is the size most people are running.
If you are running stock calipers, I would stick with 3/16" tubing. The only reason you would need larger tubing IMO is if you needed to move more fluid (i.e. big brakes or multiple-piston brakes) FWIW the smaller diameter tubing will also enable brake fluid to cool quicker.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I didn't know if running larger tubing would be better or not. I thought I would find some suggestions from people on here. I was thinking about keeping it the same size because the master cylinder may not be able to keep up.

I have a buddy who bought a classic with power brakes swapped in and just found the piston on the master cylinder is not big enough. I think it would be best to keep the same size lines for this reason.

I should probably upload pics once I get the lines out to show everyone what I am so worried about.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
I emailed Classictubes today regarding production of stainless-steel OEM design hardline brake lines for my 94 T/A. I'm doing a full resto so I wanted to address old brake lines while I am at it. I will let you know what my results are. The GM PN's are out of production so finding a way to obtain new pre-bent hardlines has been more or less of a PITA.
I'm looking into these currently. Apparently they offer the ones for the 98-02 Camaro, which is likely the same product. I'm still doing research.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I'm looking into these currently. Apparently they offer the ones for the 98-02 Camaro, which is likely the same product. I'm still doing research.
The ABS block location and port placements are somewhat different than on the ls1 variants. If it isnt in their catalog, call them and ask them. I dealt with a guy named don colf. He was spot on and real helpful. I had every single line done on my lt1 bird. Its 3 channel abs so tell him you want the exact copy of my lines. They should be in the catalog by now, ill call him and see if he can add them. I know their catalog is finicky. If you pick camaro things will come up that wont come up for firebird and viceversa.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try flynbye.com.

Quick Reply: Hard Line Brake Question???