Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Konis SUCK! High performance, but junk Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also....for the naysayers....notice how pristine the other parts on that shock look. Springs, spring cups all look terrific. Konis look like ***.

Hey Jersey_Mike, tell the truth now....you got under the car and sprayed just those konis with saltwater every day just so you could make this post and bash koni right?? Be honest....

Last edited by UMD_Jesse; 06-15-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not saying they're corroded or that I can see through the shock. I'm saying I'm disappointing in how the finish is holding up compared to the DeCarbons that these replaced. I was just pointing out that the paint is chipping off and mine look like ****.

I had my DeCarbons on for 80,000 miles and during every single one of those miles they saw daily duty through New Jersey winters, falls, summers and springs. They looked fantastic and *NOTHING* like this. The Konis were added after the car became a Weekend Warrior, and unfortunately, they look like butthole.

I can't say I've had to repaint any of my other suspension components from UMI, BMR or Strano.

I know it's surface rust; It's just inconvenient and shouldn't come with the territory.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Can't hold it in anymore.. what a bunch of F*-ing crybabies!

Konis are for performance!! If you want the underside of your car to sparkle then go whine about it in the show and shine section! Or maybe you should pay more attention to keeping it clean? Get your decarbons out or buy a shock that can't dampen the car for sH*t and put them on.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Can't hold it in anymore.. what a bunch of F*-ing crybabies!

Konis are for performance!! If you want the underside of your car to sparkle then go whine about it in the show and shine section! Or maybe you should pay more attention to keeping it clean? Get your decarbons out or buy a shock that can't dampen the car for sH*t and put them on.
Right on man! What a bunch of idiots!
Dont forget to wash and wax your konis once a week.
Sprikle baby powder on them daily and try to manually ********** them as often as you can.
These are high performance devices for godsake!
morons.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
Also....for the naysayers....notice how pristine the other parts on that shock look. Springs, spring cups all look terrific. Konis look like ***.
I think that's kind of an unfair comparison, because you're assuming that those springs/shocks were installed at the same time. I sold those shocks to him, and know for a fact that those shocks were on a street car for a few years, then a dedicated track car for another few, shipped to me from texas, then on my car for a few years, and then on his car for a few months. I had GC coilovers on them, so between sliding them on and off, the moisture getting trapped inside the sleeves, being slid around on the floor and thrown in to boxes a few times, banged around during the (at least) 4 times they were installed/removed, etc I really can't blame them for showing some wear. Even after their long, tough life, they still function pretty well though.

...but on the other hand my current Koni's with much less abuse looked crappy enough that I repainted them. I don't really care though.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I think that's kind of an unfair comparison, because you're assuming that those springs/shocks were installed at the same time. I sold those shocks to him, and know for a fact that those shocks were on a street car for a few years, then a dedicated track car for another few, shipped to me from texas, then on my car for a few years, and then on his car for a few months. I had GC coilovers on them, so between sliding them on and off, the moisture getting trapped inside the sleeves, being slid around on the floor and thrown in to boxes a few times, banged around during the (at least) 4 times they were installed/removed, etc I really can't blame them for showing some wear. Even after their long, tough life, they still function pretty well though.

...but on the other hand my current Koni's with much less abuse looked crappy enough that I repainted them. I don't really care though.
I would agree with all your points except the shocks I have on my car show the exact same wear. If Im lucky my car sees 5000 miles a year. I hear everyone point about cleanliness, abuse, surface rust, etc...but the fact of the matter remains that those shocks are very likely the most rapidly corroding part on your vehicle. And they are that way because I truly believe koni could give a F- how durable they are.

I remain to be utterly amazed at how many people jump in here and defend this type of corrosion.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't speak for their history, as I didn't know all of that. I just know that I had them for a year and change, and TheRealCreeper can attest for how little I drive my car. I don't even think I put 5,000 miles on them. They'll eventually get repainted.

For the record, I would buy these all over again. The only thing I'd change is I'd have POR15d them then re-painted them from the get-go. I otherwise love these things.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I think KY jelly can be used to polish them up
Old 06-15-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
For the record, I would buy these all over again. The only thing I'd change is I'd have POR15d them then re-painted them from the get-go. I otherwise love these things.
would you buy them all over again for more than $50 next time?? hahahah

I understand the frustration with a high dollar part having an issue like this. I personally don't really care, as long as they function well. I've had enough aftermarket parts fail on me to come to the viewpoint that there's always going to be a sacrifice made, and I would at least rather it be the paint than the function.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed. Plus, it's good to have neighbors in the hobby
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

konis are only painted with a single stage paint its not that tough so when rocks hit it it chips the paint off and what happens to bare metal?? so if you have shitty roads you will have a shitty car. ive had my konis for 2 years now and i drive my car rain shine or snow and they dont look that bad. but i do this thing at the car wash and its called washing the underside shes got 270,000 miles on her and still completely rust free
Old 06-16-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
konis are only painted with a single stage paint its not that tough so when rocks hit it it chips the paint off and what happens to bare metal?? so if you have shitty roads you will have a shitty car. ive had my konis for 2 years now and i drive my car rain shine or snow and they dont look that bad. but i do this thing at the car wash and its called washing the underside shes got 270,000 miles on her and still completely rust free
thats awesome man...good for you
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Man that is disappointing to see these as rusted as they are...my car has the entire front cradle out while my engine is being built and I've got konis going in this week w/ strano sways...hell had i known this I would have had them powder coated but I don't have time for that...

By the way my 02 TA only has 2700 miles and both upper strut mounts had rust forming with only 2700 miles...the passenger side was worse, I corrected and cleaned and sprayed rust inhibitor paint on everything...obviously it's the design of these cars and that moisture DOES GET TRAPPED up there with no way to drain especially where the stock top rubber bushing sits...which is where all the rust was forming.

I undercoated my entire chassis every square inch in some places 3 coats.

I live in Tennessee not a salt problem like up north but wow those konis look like ****.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.jason
M...hell had i known this I would have had them powder coated but I don't have time for that...
Unless you were going to pull the shock apart, powder coat the body, and have the shock then rebuilt, you wouldn't want to powder coat it. Powder coating the shock while it was assembled would ruin it, destroying the seals, causing the oil to leak and ruining the powder coat.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this is my point of view....$250 for my Monroe or $1,000 for the Koni they will last the same amount of time. I've found better things to do with the $750. I know some of the dealers here don't like me saying that but.............it's how I feel.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1121
this is my point of view....$250 for my Monroe or $1,000 for the Koni they will last the same amount of time. I've found better things to do with the $750. I know some of the dealers here don't like me saying that but.............it's how I feel.
Good comparison, since the monroes perform as well as the Koni's and all.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

And as we always tell you, enjoy your shitty monroes
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I'm positive the monroes perform amazingly... yeah...

Good for a stock replacement, perhaps, but not a performance shock by any stretch.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

yes but i'm not spending $1000 every 18 months. lol
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1121
yes but i'm not spending $1000 every 18 months. lol
well now either I'm confused, or you're confused. I've had mine for almost 18 months and I won't be spending $1k on shocks for a very long time if ever.

Quick Reply: Konis SUCK! High performance, but junk Quality