Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tq arm/ working angle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tq arm/ working angle question

ok everybody, i currently have on my car a bmr TA relo crossmember, adj bmr TA and a moser 12 bolt. before adjusting the pinion angle (working angle) i read the sticky on here and i must have misunderstood it, after reading again i see that the position of the driveshft and the position of the rear doesnt matter, as long as the number of degrees difference between the two is the acceptable amount (in my case im going -2*)

because i misunderstood it i adjusted my rear to -2* and left my driveshaft at 0. the difference is what i was looking for, however i had to move the rear quite a bit to get it to that numberand the car now has a humming/vibration that is at its loudest at 80mph the noise wasnt there until after i installed the TA and Xmember (ive had the rear for some time now) my question is has anybody else ran into this issue or know a possible fix. i dont like feeling like i have made things worse by doing what should have made it better.
thanks for any input and please let me know if you know a way to solve this for me
Old 06-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

I have been dealing with a highway vibration for a couple of years now but i finally solved the issue. When setting your pinion angle, the pinion itself needs to be parallel to the trans. tailshaft. So if the trans points down 3 degrees, the pinion needs to point up 3 degrees. Since I have done this I have no more vibration at 70 mph and up. I hope this helps you out. I've tried the -2 degrees in relation to the driveshaft and it vibrated really bad at high speeds. The angle between the trans tailshaft and driveshaft should have the same working angle as the pinion and driveshaft. Equal but opposite. Oh and don't use that angle finder that comes with the torque arm. Go out buy a digital one from sears for like 20 bucks. Its a lot more accurate.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Launching!

i bought an analog angle finder from the lowe's didnt figure it would be too bad but i'll def try what you said and if it doesnt work, ill spring for the digital one also which TA do you have?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

I have a BMR torque arm.

Quick Reply: Tq arm/ working angle question